Upgrading from a CB500X to a Versys 650 what to expect? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
NunoMt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Portugal
Posts: 83
Upgrading from a CB500X to a Versys 650 what to expect?

I am planning to upgrade from my Honda CB500X to a Versys 650.

But... as all things in life I have some doubts...

Fist th emotives that take to the upgrade route are two: vibration in the handle bar above 5500/6000rpm (around 120/130km/h - thisis the major issue as it puts my hands numb after 15/20 min at that speed)) and to be able to do some touring with two on board. I'm a heavy guy (125kg) and my wife is no slim lady also and although the 500X can cope with it it's not withought some effort. So I would like to have a bit more motor to help in this department. Bu tlaso my motorcycle is my daily transport. So it has to be also economical.

So I'm wondering if an upgrade from a 500cc motorcycle to a 650cc will feel like a real upgrade. I don't think in a bigger engine because I need a reasonable affordable way to commute to work.

Does anyone of you guys have taken a similar route? What should I expect from the Versys?

Could you please share your experience and advice?

Best regards from Portugal.
NunoMt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 05:07 PM
Member
 
Devilsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 743
IMO, it all comes down to what type of riding you enjoy and how much of that type of riding you're going to do.

If you're just using your CB550x for commuting, then why change? Get a pair of anti-vibration risers.

If you want more power, speed and plan to do some traveling and maybe some off-road, the Versys is an excellent choice! I've owned mine for about 4 months and put over 3,000 miles on her. Love this bike! It's got the power I need, when I need it. The Versys handles extremely well and it's one of the most comfortable motorcycles I've ever ridden.

I also have a Honda CTX700, a bike that I thought would never become 2nd best. Guess what...my CTX has become 2nd best!
Devilsfan is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 08:16 PM
Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,197
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoMt View Post

So I'm wondering if an upgrade from a 500cc motorcycle to a 650cc will feel like a real upgrade. I don't think in a bigger engine because I need a reasonable affordable way to commute to work.
It will definitely feel like an upgrade. Better suspension, more powerful higher revving engine, etc.

Definitely won't get better fuel economy though.

Do they sell the Yamaha Tracer 700 over there? You might want to add that to your list of bikes to check out. My FZ-07 (MT-07) gets much better fuel economy than my '11 Versys did and has more power. The Versys has better suspension though.

Good luck.

My Versys Travels:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
twowheeladdict is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 09:12 PM
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,329
Garage
Ride as many bikes as you can to compare.

When test riding a Versys 650

DON'T judge the center of gravity by how much heft it takes to get off the side stand. Instead judge it from leaning the bike from straight up down. This is because the Versys really leans on it's side stand so will give a misleading first impression, as it will take a lot of heft to lean it up from it's somewhat excessive 45 degree resting angle. For instance a top heavy ST1300 which sits upright on it's side stand may take less effort.

DO fully explore the power band - there is a lot more power there than the 500 and it has a fantastic power band with power at low RPM too, which makes for a great commuter.

DO realize the suspension, front and back, can be adjusted to suit your weight and will make a big difference in handling
twowheels is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:53 PM
Member
 
motorboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 299
Garage
I came from a 500X to the Versys 650-three things right out the gate-a lot more weight a higher seat height and not that much more low end power as you would think over the 500X-the good over the 500X much better brakes-much better handling-much better suspension-also you can find a windshield that will work- over on the 500X forum their on page 89 of windshields-I never found one that worked for the 500X

Deep in Cajun Country
motorboy is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 06:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Montreal
Posts: 463
I don't know the other bikes, but the versys 650 is this:

-tall but not as much as a dirt bike, highway pegs possible.
-430 lbs when fuel tank nearly empty, measured on a scale (230 rear, 200 front). This is nimble.
-21L of fuel is AMAZING, I can reach 400km when careful
-21L though adds 35lbs carried very high.
-does about 52 mpg +/- 5
-inverted forks
-no ugly pipe, dissimulated under, but may be a tad hot when not moving.
dddd is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
NunoMt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Portugal
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
I came from a 500X to the Versys 650-three things right out the gate-a lot more weight a higher seat height and not that much more low end power as you would think over the 500X-the good over the 500X much better brakes-much better handling-much better suspension-also you can find a windshield that will work- over on the 500X forum their on page 89 of windshields-I never found one that worked for the 500X
I have done a test ride of the Versys and the V-strom 650. Indeed with the versys I was expecting to notice a bigger diference in the motor power, and although it felt more power I was expecting more from about 40% more power compared with the 500x. But I didn't explore it much. Specially at higher revs. The V-strom motor felt more enérgic but with a lot more vibration transmited to the rider, and I hated that. I prefir a more confortable ride over the more power, so Versys for me! And the seat in the Versys is more supportive and confortable. Also cornering with the versys is way easier and the motorcycle feels more planted to the road, almost like a sport bike.

What do you think at highway speeds? Is it more relaxed than the 500x? In the 500x I feel the the confortable cruising speeds is about 125-130 km/H, 6300rpm more or less, although with some vibration. I'm guessing they will run at about the same rpm at 6th gear as the versys engine revs higher, and has a bit more top speed.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
NunoMt is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:36 PM
Member
 
motorboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 299
Garage
The 650 will feel a lot more relaxed and at a lower rpm-once I raised the front of the seat about 8mm and added peg lowers I was good to go

Deep in Cajun Country
motorboy is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 12:34 PM
Member
 
mrvwbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoMt View Post
I have done a test ride of the Versys and the V-strom 650. Indeed with the versys I was expecting to notice a bigger diference in the motor power, and although it felt more power I was expecting more from about 40% more power compared with the 500x. But I didn't explore it much. Specially at higher revs. The V-strom motor felt more enérgic but with a lot more vibration transmited to the rider, and I hated that. I prefir a more confortable ride over the more power, so Versys for me! And the seat in the Versys is more supportive and confortable. Also cornering with the versys is way easier and the motorcycle feels more planted to the road, almost like a sport bike.

What do you think at highway speeds? Is it more relaxed than the 500x? In the 500x I feel the the confortable cruising speeds is about 125-130 km/H, 6300rpm more or less, although with some vibration. I'm guessing they will run at about the same rpm at 6th gear as the versys engine revs higher, and has a bit more top speed.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
The cruising RPMS won't be that different. At 80mph (130km/H) my Versys is turning 6400rpm (at a real 80mph, as the Versys speedometer reads about 10% fast). The Versys even turning that high doesn't feel stressed cruising at 80mph, unless you are pushing into a big headwind, then you will basically be at full throttle. My 2009 is fairly vibey at highway speeds, probably the same bar vibration that you get, plus a fair bit through the pegs (the peg vibration is worse than the bar vibration on older Versys).
mrvwbug is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
NunoMt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Portugal
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
The cruising RPMS won't be that different. At 80mph (130km/H) my Versys is turning 6400rpm (at a real 80mph, as the Versys speedometer reads about 10% fast). The Versys even turning that high doesn't feel stressed cruising at 80mph, unless you are pushing into a big headwind, then you will basically be at full throttle. My 2009 is fairly vibey at highway speeds, probably the same bar vibration that you get, plus a fair bit through the pegs (the peg vibration is worse than the bar vibration on older Versys).
I find that a bit strange as everyone says that the New Versys has less vibration than the older model.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
NunoMt is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 07:02 PM
Member
 
Devilsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoMt View Post
I find that a bit strange as everyone says that the New Versys has less vibration than the older model.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
My 2018 Versys650 gets a lot of vibration. I put some grip puppies on it but it still get's to where I have to shake the hands every now and again.
Devilsfan is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 10:27 PM
Member
 
motorboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 299
Garage
My 2016 is very smooth-maybe to smooth-the RPM difference is about 300 at hiway speeds

Deep in Cajun Country
motorboy is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 06:12 AM
Member
 
Indelibility's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Cornelius, NC
Posts: 228
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoMt View Post
I find that a bit strange as everyone says that the New Versys has less vibration than the older model.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
My 2018 Versys650 gets a lot of vibration. I put some grip puppies on it but it still get's to where I have to shake the hands every now and again.
My 2016 has minimal vibrations, is everything tightened correctly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
My 2016 is very smooth-maybe to smooth-the RPM difference is about 300 at hiway speeds
Smooth here too, and I know something about smooth since my other bike is a triple.
Indelibility is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 04:08 PM
Member
 
Devilsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
My 2016 has minimal vibrations, is everything tightened correctly?
They are...but maybe I'm just comparing to my other bike, a CTX700, which is very smooth!
Devilsfan is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 10:41 PM
Member
 
motorboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 299
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
They are...but maybe I'm just comparing to my other bike, a CTX700, which is very smooth!
I had a NC700X several bikes back-I think the Versys is smoother and very close to a DL650 I had many bikes back -didn't like the 270 crank when you rolled on the NC other than that it was OK

Deep in Cajun Country
motorboy is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,125
I find BOTH my Gen 1 ('08) and Gen 3 ('15) V 650s to be GENERALLY (and acceptably) smooth.


Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 04:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The Timbers of Fennario, Texas
Posts: 82
As to vibration, I don't think my 2015 buzzes too badly at all. The Ninja I rode would vibe like a sex toy at around 4500 rpm or so but would smooth out as the revs climbed. It was still buzzy but not as bad. The V has no particular rev range that vibes more than others that I can feel. I have no objection to the vibes on the V.
GDP RIDER is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome