• 1 Post By twowheels
  • 3 Post By Jack of Heats JoH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Tire change - supporting front fork

Geetings Everyone,

I am about ready to change tires and can't wait! Going to the Michelin Road 5's. I have spools and track stand for the rear that I have been using almost since day one, so no problem on the rear. Also going to 44 tooth rear sprocket.

I have no way to get the front forks off the ground. Other than buying a front track stand which I really don't want to do, any ideas to safely change out the front tire?
Can the bike be safely supported by a hydraulic floor jack, which I have, from the center of the bike without damage?
Thanks so much! Ride safe.

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tire Changing/ Options

I will give you my opinion, using a hydraulic jack, many have done it, however I can tell you if the bike goes over and you don't get hurt in the process, the damage will exceed the cost of a venom stand. The balance point is just forward of the footpegs.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...r-methods.html
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ighlight=stand

Last edited by onewizard; 05-09-2018 at 07:32 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:06 AM

Garage
Spend the money on a good front stand, trust me.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
My suggestion would be the purchase of a front triple tree support stand. You will eventually require one for fork maintenance work. The pin that inserts into the triple tree is specially sized to the bike. I also use the stand for brake work. I believe it is a 27mm pin.

Not all stands including the Venom stand i use elevate the front wheel high enough due to versys long travel suspension. Placing wheels of stand on scrap 2◊4s, before lifting, laid on either side of front wheel, is one easy work around. Some stands adjust for height which avoids the use of 2x4's.
motorboy likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-09-2018 at 07:21 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:21 AM

I had a problem with the venom stand and went with the TRex triple tree stand, is much sturdier construction than the venom and can go much taller, similar to the pitbull stand but less $. Definitely recommend you get a triple tree stand, donít use that often but in my opinion the only easy way to safely do front end work.

P.S. I just changed tire, chain and sprockets last weekend, went with 44T rear. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The triple tree stand (T-REX here) makes life easier and encourages me to keep the rims clean and the bike takes up less space (make that a smaller target) during those weeks we get when it's not safe to ride.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
My suggestion would be the purchase of a front triple tree support stand. You will eventually require one for fork maintenance work. The pin that inserts into the triple tree is specially sized to the bike. I also use the stand for brake work. I believe it is a 27mm pin.

Not all stands including the Venom stand i use elevate the front wheel high enough due to versys long travel suspension. Placing wheels of stand on scrap 2◊4s, before lifting, laid on either side of front wheel, is one easy work around. Some stands adjust for height which avoids the use of 2x4's.
I fully agree and it has been discussed before, Trex and others are much better and more than double the price of a Venom stand. I did a post on this c/w photos , in those photos is my 2015, I included photos with a tape measure showing the clearance , notice also no 2X4 under the wheels, the rear stand plays a important part of the front stand, if the rear is too high, you will have less clearance on the front with the same stand.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
I had a problem with the venom stand and went with the TRex triple tree stand, is much sturdier construction than the venom and can go much taller, similar to the pitbull stand but less $. Definitely recommend you get a triple tree stand, donít use that often but in my opinion the only easy way to safely do front end work....
Here's a pic of my '15, supported on a T-Rex triple-tree front stand, and a Harbor-Freight rear (since replaced by another TRex rear stand).

THIS is about as good as it gets!!!

- -

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You mentioned the 27mm pin. The Venom comes with a 13,15,16.5, 17 and 18mm pins. ?? Do I need to get a pin that is not included with the stand?

Thanks!
Andy

BEST,
ANDY

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyversystheworld View Post
You mentioned the 27mm pin. The Venom comes with a 13,15,16.5, 17 and 18mm pins. ?? Do I need to get a pin that is not included with the stand?

Thanks!
Andy
take a look at the rubber plug where the pin fits the tree
I have a first gen & it takes a 27mm pin
so prolly yeah
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks! I am learning a lot! So...I would have to order a separate pin 'cause one that big does not come with the triple tree stand. So typical for me!
Thanks much.

BEST,
ANDY

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:52 AM

Garage
I bought the T-Rex rear and front triple tree stands as a set for my 2016 650. It came with the correct size pin for the front.

HERE is just the front by itself. Looks like the opening of the spring riding season has caught them off guard as they have temporarily run out of stock of the front triple tree stand.

I had never used a front stand before but I was very impressed with how rock solid stable the combination of the two stands make the bike. I'm very satisfied with the T-Rex.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post
I bought the T-Rex rear and front triple tree stands as a set for my 2016 650. It came with the correct size pin for the front.

HERE is just the front by itself. Looks like the opening of the spring riding season has caught them off guard as they have temporarily run out of stock of the front triple tree stand.

I had never used a front stand before but I was very impressed with how rock solid stable the combination of the two stands make the bike. I'm very satisfied with the T-Rex.
They have the anodized version for $10 more.https://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=109
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
They have the anodized version for $10 more.https://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=109
Thanks. I had forgotten they had two different colors. I see they have this color in stock.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode