Paranoid about riding... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Paranoid about riding...

I picked up an 09 yesterday. It is in very good condition with 15000 miles. But now after reading all the posts on stator and regulator problems I am hesitant to ride any distance until I upgrade these parts. Should I just not worry about it, or go ahead and test the stator and replace the regulator as a preventive measure?
motorboy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 05:23 PM

Garage
I rode my 09 till 2014 when i sold it and never had an issue. I had heated grips multiple cameras plugged into the bike as well as givi aux lights an alarm that had a constant draw plus other things i can't think of right now. Never any issues with the electrical system. Just make sure your idle is set at the correct setting.....

motorboy likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave31410 View Post
I picked up an 09 yesterday. It is in very good condition with 15000 miles. But now after reading all the posts on stator and regulator problems I am hesitant to ride any distance until I upgrade these parts. Should I just not worry about it, or go ahead and test the stator and replace the regulator as a preventive measure?
Almost 47k miles on my '12....no problems. If you worry about this try a voltage monitor. The one I use, from Back-Off has a single light that shows green yellow or red according to the output. You can see failure coming with plenty of warning and if I remember correctly, only 30 bucks.
aboyandhisversys and motorboy like this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 06:15 PM

I had an 2008 with about 24000 miles no problem with the stator. My friend owns the bike now and he has not had a problem.
motorboy likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:31 PM

Dave, go ahead and ride it. All will be well. MY 2008 still has all its original electricity pieces and they're working as they should. And they're not paranoid either. As a friend once said, "Remember, when you're paranoid you're never alone."
Fastoman and motorboy like this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Another 2008 rider/owner, over 30,000 miles on her, no problems with the stuff stated above, and I run heated grips, ciggy socket and LED aux. lights.

I have replaced the starter solenoid, and now carry an extra, but they are just ten bucks.... easy to change, couple minutes. There is room under the seat to carry a spare.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-REL...item3abf0fe94a
motorboy likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Electrical MK-1

Quote:
Discussion comes and goes, I have worked with this problem since early 2008, so lots of experience. Several things I strongly recommend for all versions of the Versys is in this thread described as neat little voltmeter :
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...highlight=neat

As to testing the stator http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/1341721-post1.html only need one meter, follow my instructions, less than 5 minutes to test. Make sure you use the idle screw for setting the 2000 RPM, and the bike had been warmed up.

As to upgrading, I have said it before, about 3 tanks of gas if you use a used Polaris. I have updated the install for 2007 to 2014, 2015 is also 90% complete, I have additional photos and CompuFire photos to add.Oil level and oil type plays a small part in stator failure. I can say the number posted failed is a fraction of those that actually failed, as some are reluctant and embarrassed that their ride quite after knowing of this problem and doing nothing about it , so they want a quick fix and sweep it under the carpet. The only thing I can say is using OEM the stator is outputing 100% when the RPM is at or above that required for maximum output. Using a series regulator the stator is at base load or approximately 60% of maximum all the time and it never runs at 100% ever.
As to long distance, I am sure if you did a survey, you would find bikes of MK-1 design with 40,000 KM or more out of 1000, 16 would have had some sort of stator or 3 phase plug failure, the newer version with the crossover connections on the back ( depends on the supplier for Kawasaki at the time, I saw 2009 to 2013 with varied connections), failure rate would have dropped to about 8 out of 1000, on the MK-3 , with all stators with crossover connections on the back and improved varnish I would assume the failure to drop to 5 in 1000.
Buffalo_Bob likes this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 09:29 PM

To the OP: I have no doubt that OneWizard is correct that a series regulator is better, and sure, upgrading will all but prevent the issue, but with such low real-world failure rates of the OEM stator/regulator, IMHO, I wouldn't worry about it unless you see symptoms. The Versys has been around for a long time and isn't known for charging system failures, unlike some bikes like the VFR750/800. But it also comes down to what helps you sleep at night. I put a fair number of miles on my bikes (65K miles and 78K miles on the last two) and go out on some tours, so I'm big on preventative maintenance and mods; however, I'll hold off on this one until/unless I see higher reported failure rates. Now watch, I'll end up stranded in the middle of nowhere with a fried stator this weekend. :^)

P.S. Forgot to say we should all be grateful that OneWizard and others have posted so much info on this issue and guidelines for the mod, should we want/need it.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.

Last edited by Doug Just Doug; 05-09-2018 at 05:32 AM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 10:21 PM

Garage
The sky is falling--an answer to a question no body asked

Deep in Cajun Country

Last edited by motorboy; 05-08-2018 at 10:25 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

FEAR - False emotions arriving real.....whats the worst case scenario.

Take ride , all will be well..
onewizard and unstable_rider like this.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I have ordered a signal dynamics voltage indicator and will test the stator, and just ride.
onewizard likes this.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
To the OP: I have no doubt that OneWizard is correct that a series regulator is better, and sure, upgrading will all but prevent the issue, but with such low real-world failure rates of the OEM stator/regulator, IMHO, I wouldn't worry about it unless you see symptoms. The Versys has been around for a long time and isn't known for charging system failures, unlike some bikes like the VFR750/800. But it also comes down to what helps you sleep at night. I put a fair number of miles on my bikes (65K miles and 78K miles on the last two) and go out on some tours, so I'm big on preventative maintenance and mods; however, I'll hold off on this one until/unless I see higher reported failure rates. Now watch, I'll end up stranded in the middle of nowhere with a fried stator this weekend. :^)

P.S. Forgot to say we should all be grateful that OneWizard and others have posted so much info on this issue and guidelines for the mod, should we want/need it.
The simple solution is to install neat little voltmeter, also your last comment, I can say that I have had a equal # of members that had this happen and we went back and forth using PM for communication, too embarrassed to post what happened. If you understand electrical production, HP in and energy out, our stator is less than 50% efficient, so the gas HP required to produce the 40% of energy wasted to ground in the form of heat with the OEM regulator adds up, also keep in mind the OEM stator is $450 approx. , for roughly $50 to $75 I can install a used Polaris.

Doug Just Doug likes this.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
The sky is falling--an answer to a question no body asked

Some days I am almost afraid to log in as a mod, am I going to get some nasty PM message or some disagreement of what I posted, I get great satisfaction in being able to share my knowledge and every so often I get a good chuckle out of something totally unexpected, this post is one of them.

In canoeing language "keep the open side up"
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 09:03 AM

If it ain't broke............don't fix it.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 09:50 AM
RMS

make Shure that the battery is in good condition and the correct amp hrs
and the connectors are clean and tight
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
If it has not failed at this point, it's probably not going to. Keep your voltage regulator clean. It is above the rear tire and has a tendency to get caked in mud if you do not have a rear fender. I suspect a lot of problems can be traced to it overheating and failing due to it's position on bike and the requirement that it's cooling fins be kept free of built up dirt and mud to function.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

The stator FAILED on my '08 at about 56K miles (my AZ records are 1,700 miles S of me, here in BC), while the stator in my '09 died at 53,592 kms (33,300 miles). BOTH got new stators AND regulators - a Compufire in BC, a Polaris in AZ.

As a result I replaced the regulator in my '15 w/ a Polaris one, as I HATE walking...!

You pays your money and you takes your chances....
quexpress and Doug Just Doug like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 05:41 PM

The VFR crowd often add a small cooling fan (for computers?) to keep their regulator/rectifier from overheating. I don't think their's is due to road crud, though, it just tends to run very hot.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 11:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
The VFR crowd often add a small cooling fan (for computers?) to keep their regulator/rectifier from overheating. I don't think their's is due to road crud, though, it just tends to run very hot.
The VFR had a problem with the plug on the Stator over heating-from there up to the regulator-I was about to work on a VFR many years ago cause of the heat problem I started the bike put a fan in front of it and pulled the left hand cover off just in time to see the regulator get so hot it melted the plastic it was bolted to and it hit the ground-Honda's answer cut the plug out and solder the wires and it worked

Deep in Cajun Country
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 06:01 PM

Stator failure

I would assume that the probability of failure of the Versys stator is in direct proportion to the number of miles that you have on the odometer. A failure in North America is usually not that big a deal as parts and dealers are available in many locations. On our trip to Peru (about 19000km) we played it safe and installed the series regulator. Was it necessary? Maybe. But it reduced by 1, the number of things that could go wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode