• 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By bigdaddye

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Any Gen 3 documented cases?

I'm reading these threads about the OEM regulators and stators getting fried. Are there any documented cases of this happening to Gen 3's? I'm assuming Kawasaki did not make any upgrade changes to these OEM parts on the Gen 3's? At what mileage can I expect this to happen?

You will never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychologist office!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm closing on 10K on my 15' and no problems yet.
unstable_rider and timster like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timster View Post
I'm reading these threads about the OEM regulators and stators getting fried. Are there any documented cases of this happening to Gen 3's? I'm assuming Kawasaki did not make any upgrade changes to these OEM parts on the Gen 3's? At what mileage can I expect this to happen?
I'm wondering if there's a farkle factor. Being able to charge a Nissan Leaf while cruising down the highway tracking satellites might not be all that good for the electrical system.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
unstable_rider and motorboy like this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 07:14 PM

Garage
7,xxx miles on my 2016 and no issues
timster likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
The system works just fine if used as Kawasaki designed it -take it out side that design problems pop up-so use the right weight oil- keep it clean-not run low on oil and don't over load it with a lot of electrical things and it will last a very long time-in all my years I have never had a charging system fail-but I do know what to expect and what not to expect from it

Deep in Cajun Country
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 05:22 AM

Right at 30k on my 15' no issues...use led aux lights / oxford heated grips / heated visor. Occasional cell phone charging as well.
timster likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Square Wheel Regulator

Nothing has changed, except they realized that having the line connections and crossover connections on the same side was prone to failure, 2015 on there are better varnishes and higher temperature magnet wire, which costs more money so don't expect that to be applied by Kawasaki, unless the Vender uses this on all their processes.

As to what to expect, it depends on your riding habits and location, if you are in hot climates or do a lot of stop and go riding, expect it to fail sooner. A large misconception about adding farkles, using the OEM regulator it has 00.00% effect on the stator how much load you add, as the stator is outputting 100% all the time that the RPM is sufficient to produce 100%.

If I thought it didn't matter I sure wouldn't have ripped apart my 2015 with less than 5KM on the odometer, I was very disappointed that Kawasaki was using 1980 technology on the 2015, when series regulators have been out since early 2001.

Caution ; this is my professional opinion , and when I say professional , very little in the electrical field I don't have knowledge of, and this is a hands on / what I did for a living for over 45 years knowledge . I am not about to argue about this as I have 00.00% doubt in my mind that going to a series regulator is like putting the best tires on your bike, money well spent and it only happens once ( I am running my old 2007 CompuFire regulator on my 2015) so at 9 years of use it has cost me $25 per year so far.
timster likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
...If I thought it didn't matter I sure wouldn't have ripped apart my 2015 with less than 5KM on the odometer, I was very disappointed that Kawasaki was using 1980 technology on the 2015, when series regulators have been out since early 2001....
Did MINE at 28,589 kms (17,764 miles) for the SAME reasons, tho' (as NOT being an electronics "wizz"......) I just took Glen's word for it, as well as having had my '08's "die" about 60 miles from my AZ home.

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

BTW - my '15 has 52,6xx kms on it now....
timster likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 08:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistime99 View Post
I'm wondering if there's a farkle factor. Being able to charge a Nissan Leaf while cruising down the highway tracking satellites might not be all that good for the electrical system.
The only farkle I have on my '07 is heated gear. My stator fried in the middle of summer. I had not used the gear that year.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Caution ; this is my professional opinion [/B], and when I say professional , very little in the electrical field I don't have knowledge of, and this is a hands on / what I did for a living for over 45 years knowledge . I am not about to argue about this as I have 00.00% doubt in my mind that going to a series regulator is like putting the best tires on your bike, money well spent and it only happens once ( I am running my old 2007 CompuFire regulator on my 2015) so at 9 years of use it has cost me $25 per year so far.
Series regulator? You got a link to where you can get one?

Is it easy to install?

Thanks.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

When the stator in my '08 died it burned a few windings (sorry - can't find that pic....).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 05:24 PM

Garage
I know what a burned stator looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burnt Stator.jpg (47.1 KB, 42 views)
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 05:46 PM

Garage
Hey Hawkerjet,
I have a gen 3 V 650 LT and I changed the
reg/rec to a polaris 4012941 SH 775. I wanted the peace of mind (reliability),
better gas economy, and more power.I'm old and this will be my bike forever so easy choice to make.
If you shop well you can do this for less than $50, I did. Info for the install is on this forum, just search regulators/ stators.
OneWizard,Invader,et al Have already done the re
search. Thanks to them, it was easy for me.
BigDaddye
2015 V 650 LT
quexpress and timster like this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Series regulator? You got a link to where you can get one?

Is it easy to install?

Thanks.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...hy-bother.html

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ed-2018-a.html

Last edited by onewizard; 05-06-2018 at 08:00 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
I know what a burned stator looks like.
Looks JUST like mine did, Smiley!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode