Best side case/top case combo for 2010- Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Best side case/top case combo for 2010- Versys

Hey guys now there's so many options out there...gets a bit confusing, some side cases can't be combined with a top rack, some can.

Here are my criterias, I want a quick-release system not only for the cases, but for the racks themselves so you can have the bike look normal when not touring.

I'm considering the TRAX and the Pelican side cases 35-40L. Would also like to have a small Pelican top case (like 15L) to put camera gear and stuff like that.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Seems you already have a pretty good idea about what you want. Though I don't have those cases, it seems they're very good quality and durable.

My preference is for the Givi V35 cases which I've had for a year or so and am quite pleased with. I'm not a fan of the end-of-the-world adventure/trekker cases because, in my humble opinion, they have an industrial strength appearance that doesn't appeal or suit the lines of bike. But then there are those who don't like the Givi cases either so I guess it all comes out in the wash.

Good luck with whatever you settle on.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Yeah where I'm having a hard time finding the info is what side racks fit with which top racks. From what I've found so far, only the side racks that can't be removed quickly can be combined to a top rack. I'd like side racks with quick-release, while still having a top rack...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Look at twisted throttle. If it is made for the bike, they sell it. SWMotech maybe?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 05:56 PM

OK, I have the Givi 35 and the top box on my Versys mounted on the SW Motech brackets. Yes I know they say it wont work but I did it. I want to say all I really do with the top box is keep a face shield and maybe a pair of gloves in it and store my helmet when I get to where I'm going. All in all I am happy with the set up.

On my KLR I have Pelican boxes and they are the Bees Knees for tough. Water tight, better that any of the "Real" motorcycle boxes I've had. Only draw back is they are fairly heavy and are not all the pretty. PLUS you have to drill holes to mount them.

Remember this when you start loading up. The V is a shorter, taller, lighter bike with long travel suspension. AND the center of gravity of the boxes is behind the rear axle. Add a passenger and it could get hairy in a hurry if you're unlucky.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

I've checked just about every site out there, but it I'm kind of limited to buying in Canada otherwise I have to pay crazy shipping and custom fees. And even on the US sites, the racks I found that were quick release couldnt be used together on the 2010+ Versys.

Once I'm done selecting the racks, the luggage will be the easy part I don't mind the look of the Pelican kind of looks military which I dig. The Givi look the most sofisticated, but less rugged (in looks). That Trax are the best looking ones to my taste, but have seen some reports of not being super waterproof and some of the locking parts rusting quickly. I'd be pissed if for the price I'd see rust on them within a few months...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 PM

I really like my V35's, as I've had Givi cases on my last two bikes with great results. (Well, except for that one E45 that popped off somewhere in South Dakota. I got it back, eventually.) For touring, I add the MotoPak GT-Roll bag across the passenger seat. I am looking at installing a rear rack, though, for mounting a small Givi trunk or just strapping down a small cooler on trips.

2009 Versys. It blue.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 05:38 AM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm gone frugal. Got two large and one medium case from jc Whitney. 130 bucks shipped. Score. A few mods, and good to go.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

I finally dropped the idea of having a top box, I preffered having racks I could remove in a minute when I didnt need them then to compromise on a setup that will take an hour to remove or have a top rack like that givi that is too big and high even when you have no top box on. I might try and see if I can't figure out a way to have a top rack adapted to my side racks as to make just one big rack that I could remove in one shot. Went for the SW-Motech quick release side racks and the new TRAX powdercoated in black (that are now supposedly 100% waterproof with new seal designs). Total with taxes and shipping=1200$. Yep it ain't cheap. But I have high expectations and to my taste (you either love or hate) they are the best looking sets of luggage out there.

Last edited by Kawa007; 10-27-2012 at 06:37 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 10:00 AM

I have a pair of the Givi 35's and I need the side racks. I'm going to go for the SW-Motech racks as I can marry them up to my SW-Motech topbox rear rack plus they are Q/D.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode