3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Crash Bars SWMoTech or TRex

Got a 2010 Versys. Looking for crash bars:
SWMoTech

OR

T-Rex

Any thoughts out there as to quality or preference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Their
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

I have been happy with Sw Motech's on my 08, but I don't challenge them much (I don't fall over). I forget the ones that came on my bike but I gave those away.

Never heard of the other ones.... doesn't make them bad though.

Motech's:

Last edited by unstable_rider; 05-01-2018 at 10:03 PM. Reason: BEER

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 11:19 PM

I have the T-Rex on my 2009 and I like them a lot, but I also have not "tested" them. Well, other than dropping the bike 3 times now while stopped or not on it at all. I'm talented like that I guess.

Of course, I live in DFW so I can always just go to their shop and talk to T-Rex.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:11 AM

Neither.
See hepco becker.
See thread: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...st1220857.html
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:53 AM

Garage
I've got Givi crash bars, tested to protect the bike in dirt/asphalt naps A skid plate is a good idea too.
unstable_rider likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
I've got Givi crash bars, tested to protect the bike in dirt/asphalt naps A skid plate is a good idea too.
Hey Jeff, do you really know/have of a true skid plate for versys 650 or you just abused the term to describe a rock guard? Because I really want more than rock guard but I haven't found a single option out there... Thanks.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:13 AM

Garage
The SW-Motech skid plate is frame mounted (NOT on the oil pan lugs) and has been tested to hold up to abuse. Do a youtube search.

There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Ddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Neither.
See hepco becker.
See thread: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...st1220857.html
Are there any US sellers? I can only find sellers outside the US.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O. View Post
Got it.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Hey Jeff, do you really know/have of a true skid plate for versys 650 or you just abused the term to describe a rock guard? Because I really want more than rock guard but I haven't found a single option out there... Thanks.
THIS!

2011 ADVersys

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

I have the SW-Motech crash-bars and skid-plate on my '08. Look GOOD as well as SUBSTANTIAL, but I've not "USED" them, yet....

Got the SW-Motech crash-bars on my '15. Don't look anywhere near as SUBSTANTIAL, but haven't "used" them yet. As for a skid-plate - w/ the new sump (drain-plug out the SIDE), and the one-piece exhaust, I'm considering THAT as my under-side-protection....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O. View Post
got mine from motomachines

https://www.motomachines.com/Hepco-B...5-_p_5115.html
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:51 PM

+1 on the givi bars, WELL tested and other than some paint removal, never a worry.

I have the ravetech rock guard, which has taken a number of hits. While I've dented the 3mm aluminum, the impact has been largely absorbed by the rear mounting bracket (to the frame), which acted as a crumple zone. Popped off the plate, hammered it out, good to go. I suspect the SWM mounts to perform similarly.

I've dragged the bike over ledges inadvertently, and unless you're attempting to motocross the V, I think you would be fine with Givi, Ravetech, SW Motech and others - it was more about looks for me. One advantage to SWM not mentioned is their parts all fit together fine whereas mixing brands may result in odd spacer fitment, and resulting additional labor. There are spacers at front and rear mounting points.

I will offer this additional caution on the Givi crash bars - perhaps relevant to the other brands; the left side mount blocks your ability to easily access the front sprocket cover, which can be a pain. In removing the crash bar to get at it, the rear mount is threaded rod and can be tricky to torque properly. That rod is also (in the case of Givi) not very hard so I replaced it with grade 8 equivalent metric rod from McMaster Carr for about $8.

Good luck, the V is a lot of fun off road.....

Ride more, bitch less - secret to good life!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 08:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
The SW-Motech skid plate is frame mounted (NOT on the oil pan lugs) and has been tested to hold up to abuse. Do a youtube search.

I have the SW-M "GRAVEL GUARD" on my V-650. I've had to manipulate it with a BFH (Big Frikkin' Hammer) twice in less than a year to regain exhaust clearance. I can say for absolute certainty that it can't take the weight of the bike on it, never mind an impact. That said, it will deflect rain, mud, and even gravel with only cosmetic damage.

Strongly recommended NOT for bashing off rocks or sliding over logs.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX_Joe View Post
...One advantage to SWM not mentioned is their parts all fit together fine whereas mixing brands may result in odd spacer fitment, and resulting additional labor. There are spacers at front and rear mounting points....
MY experience on my Gen 1 ('08) is that w/ SW-M crash-bars AND skid-plate - removing the countershaft cover is a PITA!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
I have the SW-M "GRAVEL GUARD" on my V-650. I've had to manipulate it with a BFH (Big Frikkin' Hammer) twice in less than a year to regain exhaust clearance. I can say for absolute certainty that it can't take the weight of the bike on it, never mind an impact. That said, it will deflect rain, mud, and even gravel with only cosmetic damage.

Strongly recommended NOT for bashing off rocks or sliding over logs.
Well YOU are the FIRST person to ever "bash" pun intended the SW Motech guard. I'm sure the manufacture would beg to differ with you on it NOT being a solid skid plate.

2011 ADVersys

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 03:33 PM

SW-Motech.

Got 'em, Use 'em. Like 'em. Can't speak to any of the others, haven't used 'em.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 06:34 PM

Garage
I've installed the Givi/ Kappa guards and they went on very easily with 2012 V1K. I sadly used them when it tipped over.....without them it would have been far more serious than a scratch side bag and bar. It saved the mirror, handlebar and upper front plastics from damage!

2012 Versys 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode