Maturity strips - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Maturity strips

Youngsters at work occasionally kid me about my "chicken strips" and I have my own name for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (76.0 KB, 324 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 10:37 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 12:31 PM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullcircle View Post
Youngsters at work occasionally kid me about my "chicken strips" and I have my own name for them.
WOW! Not trying to be rude or anything I didn't think it was possible to actually ride and have strips that big, just riding around town you must hang way off the bike to preserve those strips?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 10:58 AM

I always like seeing chicken strips or lack of on bikes that have road rash. I'm happy to keep mine upright and ride within my limits.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesarge View Post
WOW! Not trying to be rude or anything I didn't think it was possible to actually ride and have strips that big, just riding around town you must hang way off the bike to preserve those strips?
Muhahahah! I'll be the first to admit I suck at riding fast on curvy roads-lack of depth perception I think. I've pretty much stopped riding with groups because I'm the one that gets pulled over by the cops, and then I have to convince them I don't know the other guys that ran! That's happened to me three times.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 03:00 PM

I'm far from what you might call "the fast guy", don't let my ego make me ride faster than my skills dictate, and have been stopped a couple times after the rest of my group took off or been past by strangers that were eluding.

I don't get TOO caught up in the whole "chicken strip" thing, and think it's mostly squids and newbs that do.

Here's what the "strips" looked like on my last bike. The picture was actually to show a forum member what the add-on baffle looked like on the Competition Werkes slip-on. But you can kinda see the strips.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Fullcircle, you must live where there are no curves at all. I am a conservative rider and have never scraped a footpeg. My chicken or maturity strips on all my bikes are less than 1/2 of an inch depending on tire profile.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 04:23 PM

If you're riding on the edge showing off, you have nothing left if you need to get out of the way. PLUS I saw a gut ride OVER the sidewall once. He didn't have any chicken strip BUT he did have a nice case of Road Rash.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 04:51 PM

'Bout time for a new tire?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-10-19_16-13-44_93.jpg (46.2 KB, 195 views)

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesarge View Post
This is my take on it too. I'm not saying you should ride your tires to the edge on the street, but that's really just showing a lack of willingness to lean the motorcycle. That could be very unsafe if an emergency comes up and you have to swerve, or even just if you accidentally overcook a corner.

I'd rather be riding.
2005 Triumph Speed Triple | 2009 Blue Versys
1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 ZX6R (sold) | 2008 Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki M50 (sold) | 2006 Ninja 500 (sold)

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 10:41 AM

My 'chicken strips" are at least as wide as those on the bike of the OP. I don't care what other people think of how I ride, and I sure don't care about other riders who use the strips to judge that they ride more agressively than me, and therefore they're somehow better riders.

As previously pointed out, noobs and squids, and fools. As in, "look at the chicken strips on that guy's bike! He must be slooooow." The subtext is always "In comparison to me."

I don't ride agressively on the road, certainly not agressively enough to get up to the sidewall, not on the roads I ride. I don't trust the variability of the surface. I ride the speed limit, plus a bit. At those speeds, I don't think I'd ever need to get very far up on the sidewall at all.

I want to get up that far, I go to the track, where in general, I can trust the surface, and the other riders. And since I don't go to the track anymore, I'll ride how I like on the road, thanks...

I've even taken lessons, with cars and bikes. The bike session was particularly humbling...those lessons taught me my own limitations, I'm not a good rider at elevated speeds in traffic, no depth perception. I didn't even enjoy following the instructor on the familiarisation lap.

Knowing ones' own limitations will keep you safer than exploring the limitations of any machine.

In my own experience, the most dangerous thing you can do on the road with any vehicle, is try to keep up with someone, who is driving a bit faster than your own comfort zone. I would guess that going out to burn off your chicken strips, in the belief that someone will see them and think less of you, would be a close second.

Over my riding/driving life, I have always been the guy at the back of the pack - you know, the one who witnessed the accident up front... I was OK with it then, nothing has changed.

Just my take on it.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 AM
MTS

Which chicken strips are the coolest? Anyway those are the ones I have and I can post a photo to prove it! Awesome!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 11:13 AM

it's lunchtime here...mmmmm chicken strips
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 11:54 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 12:31 PM.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Which chicken strips are the coolest? Anyway those are the ones I have and I can post a photo to prove it! Awesome!
Extra crispy w/BBQ sauce
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 12:52 PM

Ya, I'm a fan of advanced driver training.

I had no idea how much I didn't know, until I had some professional training, and actually found out.

I also agree, that one needs to know how to handles one's bike (or car, bus, velocipede, etc.) in an emergency - and practice a bit every now and then, just to stay fresh. But if you don't get trained on how to do it right, there's little point in practicing how to do it wrong.

My comments in my first post are meant to address what I hear most often about "chicken strips" - they are mostly commented on by others in a negative way, in judgement of the riding skill of the posessor of said strips, whatever they're called.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 01:10 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 12:30 PM.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
As a side note, if you were practicing it, you wouldn't have huge chicken strips. But that's honestly just a by-product. but it's still true.
How many swerves do you need to do to move your chicken strips?
Serious question, I just thought it was high speed corners that would burn away your rubber.

One thing that has not been mentioned here is correct technique. Not moving your weight to the inside of the corner (or worse, pushing the bike beneath you) will help get you good chicken strips. Doesn't mean you are fast, competent or safe in my book.

I agree with the OP that they are vastly overrated as a means of identifying a riders ability.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
If you ride the speed limit on the roads I ride your chicken strips will be no larger than 1 inch.

The OP must not live in an area where the roads are curvy and speed limits are high.

We have roads in rural Tennessee where you are working hard to try and maintain the speed limit on some roads.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 05:15 PM

Actually, mine are a function of only having 1600 kms on the bike, and doing most of my riding this year in spring and fall, cool/colder weather, where I don't trust my tires as much.

I barely got a chance to ride this year, and probably only put on about 400kms this summer in the heat. I've ridden more in the last 2 weeks than I did all of July and August.

And - my county has taken a great liking to resurfacing most roads with pea gravel and tar, as opposed to actual pavement. Even after a couple of years, roads that have been resurfaced like this have shoulders that resemble ball-bearing pits. This stuff gets dragged out on to the road surface at every corner. Not a confidence builder, catches a few people every year as they make their way to Friday the 13th in Port Dover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode