Helmet Hook - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Helmet Hook

My 2017 650 owner manual indicates I have helmet hooks under the seat. Would like to be able to secure my helmet to the bike when stopped for food and whatnot. What I am not understanding is how do I securely attach it to the hook? Something I need to buy?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
You have to remove your seat to use the hooks...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I understand that. But how do you secure the helmet to the hook is what I'm asking for.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If someone wants to steal your helmet they have to remove the seat.
The open end is only exposed when the seat is off (yeah, we gave you a way to secure your helmet, but we didn't say it was convenient).
unstable_rider likes this.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
If someone wants to steal your helmet they have to remove the seat.
The open end is only exposed when the seat is off (yeah, we gave you a way to secure your helmet, but we didn't say it was convenient).
Don't mind it under the seat as it is very easy to remove and put back. So you are saying use helmet own strap to strap it to the hook? Well that's not secure at all. I guess you can cut the strap with a knife but who would want to steal a helmet that will have no straps?

Otherwise, I guess I can buy a wire lock and hook that to the bike and helmet.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 12:59 PM

Garage
Yeah that helmet hook is kind of a joke for me. Not only is it a PITA to use, but the newer quick release helmet straps do not have a D-ring or a means to attach it to the hook.

Randy
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have used one of these from Twisted Throttle for years-- small diameter combination-cable lock- long enough to pass through the opening in a full face helmet and also string it through a pannier handle, spot on your tail rack, frame, etc. Small enough to carry in a jacket pocket. Also makes a great tank bag lock (deterrent).

About 18 bucks, probably similar things on ebay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg php1jTEt8.jpg (6.5 KB, 53 views)
Brockie likes this.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maher View Post
I understand that. But how do you secure the helmet to the hook is what I'm asking for.

You would put the D-Rings over the hook.....If you don't have D-Rings on your helmet.....This is what i use when i need to....I can run this through the arm of my jacket and helmet if needed....https://www.amazon.com/Lock-It-Strap...249WFT945ZM3ZJ

Any other time its in the top case....

P1020257 by weljo2001, on Flickr
unstable_rider likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 01:38 PM

I keep a bike cable lock in one of my bags for the times I have to leave the helmet unattended, but you have to strike a balance between how bad you want to keep your helmet & how much damage the knuckle head is willing to do to your stuff. If I have to park somewhere and leave I try to park where lots of people can see what's going on.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You would put the D-Rings over the hook.....If you don't have D-Rings on your helmet.....This is what i use when i need to....I can run this through the arm of my jacket and helmet if needed....https://www.amazon.com/Lock-It-Strap...249WFT945ZM3ZJ

Any other time its in the top case....

P1020257 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Thanks for the link. I like it. Probably getting one. By the way, have the same 2017 650 with same color. Love it. Had it for just one week now

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
weljo2001 likes this.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 02:24 PM

For the 2015+ Versys 650 LT owners, an XXL helmet can fit in the OEM side bags...my shoei XXL does fit in there at least. Other than that, on previous bikes I used a bicycle lock and attached my helmet to guards or rear brackets through the visor. Never used the so called 'helmet hooks' on any bike.

Last edited by Jay_Chicago; 04-29-2018 at 02:26 PM.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The V650 has the least usable helmet hooks of the few bikes I've owned. My HJC helmet just won't attach as the hook is too recessed. I put it in one of the hard cases or top box, or carry it with me if I am worried about theft.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 03:15 PM

I had a couple of left over helmet locks (off a Vulcan 1500 Classic) an I just added them to the back of my top case. Works good.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
In about 150,000 miles w/ THREE V 650s, I've NEVER used the OEM "helmet-hooks". Instead I run a 'ski-lock' thru the chin-bar and around the passenger grab-rail. (Also works well for TWO helmets!)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I always carry a bike cable lock.
I have 2, one 8mm x 1.2m long and another shorty 10mm x 45cm long.
They are both Key type not the stupid combination ones.

Depending on the ride the shorty fits 1 helmet or jacket.
The longer one does 2 helmets or helmet and jacket.

when doing a jacket you run the cable up one sleeve and hang the jacket over your tank/seat etc
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maher View Post
...Would like to be able to secure my helmet to the bike...
Why in the world would you want to do that?... It's beyond my understanding.

Rains, visor/sunshade/pinlock theft, vandalism, bugs and spiders crawling in...

No, the helmet is next to me on the bench, inside, at the table, and that's all there is to it. Besides it's a chick magnet... right?
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Its work parking lot (safe for the most part but not wanting to just leave an expensive helmet just sitting on the seat) and I'm married lol. Chick magnet not gonna do much for me. But ya, I understand what you are saying.

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 08:14 AM

I used the hooks a few times, yes, in pretty much safe places (other people would just put them over the mirrors), but it adds a little bit of safety.
This is White Face, NY, and I didn't want to take it with me, it is pretty convenient and it is easy to use (after you use it a few times)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Helmet lock.jpg (72.8 KB, 56 views)

Versys 2015 Green
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 08:32 AM

Some folks over on ADVrider.com use this: https://thehelmethook.com/products/the-helmet-hook

You could mount it just about anywhere.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 10:06 AM

Garage
I solved this problem a long time ago by buying a "Helmet Guardian". This is one of those farkles that is so useful, it is used multiple times on every single ride I make.

I got seriously tired of screwing with under seat helmet hooks or taking my helmet into restaurants. The Helmet Guardian was the solution and I've had them on my last 5 or 6 bikes. They are worth every penny I paid for them.

Here are pics of it on my 650LT:

Vadim likes this.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode