02 sensor issues for 2016+ Versys 650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
02 sensor issues for 2016+ Versys 650

So on Friday, 06-Apr-2018, I brought in my 2018 Versys 650 LT for an annual service. I have 2900 miles on this bike.

(To note, at approximately mile 300 last year I installed a Scorpion full exhaust system. This exhaust utilizes the factory lambda (O2) sensor. I’ve never had a CEL whatsoever during the time it’s been installed.)

When I picked up the bike and rode away the CEL was on so I just rode it back to the dealership. The first thing they said was it was due to the exhaust. Well, the CEL was not on when I dropped off the bike so something happened in the 2 hours they had the bike.

They kept the bike for approximately 2 weeks after that and said they replaced the 02 sensor under warranty but that the CEL was still on and the next thing would be to replace the ECU. They said would need to tell Kawasaki about the exhaust; and by telling Kawasaki would mean I may have to pay for the ECU. (Me: F that.)

I said I’d pick the bike up and put the OEM exhaust back on the bike. The service advisor then said “I bet the CEL goes off.”

Well, here we are. I have put the OEM exhaust back on the bike and the CEL is still on.

So my question is if anyone else has had any issues with their lambda (O2) sensor? This is specific to 2016+ bikes.

Thanks.

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers

Last edited by 407guy; 04-22-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I don't know anything about the Check Engine Light on our Versys. However, just in case it could help, on page 3-36 of the Service Manual, there is a Self Diagnosis Outline. It might point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You could try a cheater plug that fools your computer into thinking there is an O2 sensor installed which is saying the mixture is perfect. This would rule out the O2 sensor as being a problem.

However, I think your issue is either in the wiring to the O2 sensor or something upstream which is causing a bad mixture. Or, possibly, the ECU computer itself is bad.

Unfortunately Kawasaki is pretty low tech with their trouble shooting.

Is your bike still under full warranty? If so, I'd just take it back to the dealer and let them swap parts until they fix it.
Fastoman likes this.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
I don't know anything about the Check Engine Light on our Versys. However, just in case it could help, on page 3-36 of the Service Manual, there is a Self Diagnosis Outline. It might point you in the right direction.

Good luck!
Don't have the service manual to start my own diagnosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
You could try a cheater plug that fools your computer into thinking there is an O2 sensor installed which is saying the mixture is perfect. This would rule out the O2 sensor as being a problem.

However, I think your issue is either in the wiring to the O2 sensor or something upstream which is causing a bad mixture. Or, possibly, the ECU computer itself is bad.

Unfortunately Kawasaki is pretty low tech with their trouble shooting.

Is your bike still under full warranty? If so, I'd just take it back to the dealer and let them swap parts until they fix it.
Thanks. Yes, still under warranty due to the 2 year warranty that came with the LT when I purchased it. Going back to the dealer this week...

Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the newbie question but could some fuse be bad to cause this?

Thanks.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I don,t think its your exhaust that's causing the problem. Get it fixed under warranty if you still have it.

Check your engine crank sensor which is common failure here for 2016 models.
407guy and XenMoto like this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
First question I would ask is how or why do they think it's the o2 sensor-with the check engine light on it could be a good number of things did they check it out --my money is on what ever they did to the bike they left something unpluged
Fastoman likes this.

Deep in Cajun Country
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 06:08 AM

Details of what the dealer did for the "annual inspection" might help. Could be coincidence...or not. My bet is "not."

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 06:27 AM

Garage
With the stock exhaust on and CEL on, you might want to disconnect the battery for a while and reattach it. I always disconnect the battery while working on the bike to avoid any electrical faults from cropping up by mistake. Also would help to refer to the self diagnostic method as mentioned by quexpress.

I don't think it is the O2 sensor otherwise the bike will not run fine and will have idle issues.
407guy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To be the most boring, logical, rational motorcyclist.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 08:32 AM

Garage
As soon as you swapped the exhaust you voided the warranty. Now the stealership knows about this. Soon Kawasaki will also. They will honor nothing. Don't expect any favors from them and learn how to do your own maintenance. There is a service manual available for download on this site. I never take my bike to the stealership for any reason! If you can install a full exhaust system (which isn't needed) then you can work on this bike. Good luck to you and good riding!
407guy likes this.

You will never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychologist office!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
changing the exhaust- IN THE USA- does not void the warranty-but what it does do is if the problem your having is caused by any part you change than it's not covered-

Deep in Cajun Country
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407guy View Post
Don't have the service manual to start my own diagnosis. ....
Here are pics of some appropriate pages from my SERVICE MANUAL (2015 650LT): (HOPE it helps you.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3-36.jpg (34.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 3-37.jpg (21.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 3-38.jpg (34.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 3-39.jpg (36.0 KB, 29 views)
407guy likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
First question I would ask is how or why do they think it's the o2 sensor-with the check engine light on it could be a good number of things did they check it out --my money is on what ever they did to the bike they left something unpluged
I left out some details from the day the CEL was on after the service.

They took the bike in the back and ran a diagnostics (supposedly); "code 3" is what I believe they said. But I do know they said 02 sensor issue.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
Details of what the dealer did for the "annual inspection" might help. Could be coincidence...or not. My bet is "not."
Per the owner's manual, one year or 3500 miles I believe.

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenMoto View Post
With the stock exhaust on and CEL on, you might want to disconnect the battery for a while and reattach it. I always disconnect the battery while working on the bike to avoid any electrical faults from cropping up by mistake.
Yes, did that when I was trouble-shooting this past weekend.

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here are pics of some appropriate pages from my SERVICE MANUAL (2015 650LT): (HOPE it helps you.)
Excellent. Thank you.

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I am going to jump in here and suggest that if the air box was removed, a good chance you have a vacuum leak. The other possibility is something isn't connected correctly, also check the colours of the plugs at the TPS, they can be mixed.
407guy and timster like this.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 08:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
changing the exhaust- IN THE USA- does not void the warranty-but what it does do is if the problem your having is caused by any part you change than it's not covered-
You are correct motorboy! I misspoke about the voided warranty. Can you tell I have a deep mistrust of warranties and dealerships? They usually aren't worth the paper they are printed on!
quexpress likes this.

You will never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychologist office!
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Iím starting to get frustrated with this bike.

After a 9+ hour work day today I went to run a self-diagnosis via the provided service manual pages.

1. Turn ignition off.
2. Turn ignition on.
3. Display the odometer and push the left meter button for more than 2 seconds.
4. This starts self-diagnosis mode.

Well, step 4 never happens for me. I hold the left button for well past 2 seconds and nothing.

This is all I see:

WTF am I doing wrong???

Ugh.

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407guy View Post
...WTF am I doing wrong???....
Wish I could help you....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode