I seen this today.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I seen this today..

Imagine.. it's 1978, and you could walk right into your local Suzuki dealership in your 3 piece pastel blue polyester leisure suit and white shoes and buy one of these beauties. RE5 with a ROTARY engine. Don't call it a "water buffalo," that was the GT 750. I wanna go back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (105.6 KB, 218 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 08:13 PM

I never understood why the Wankel never caught on for motorcycle use. On paper it's an ideal motorcycle engine, fast reving, high HP, lightweight, compact. Maybe the rotational torque couldn't be dealt with, I don't know but I think it would be worth a second attempt.
I'm pretty sure it didn't catch on for cars because it was difficult and expensive to rebuild, once it would wear out, it was a throwaway. I don't know how the newer Mazda rotaries are holding up

Last edited by ray h; 10-13-2012 at 08:18 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

It had 62 hp even back then for a 500- but heavy and very complicated. Fun for me to look back when corporations were trying very new things.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
I never understood why the Wankel never caught on for motorcycle use. On paper it's an ideal motorcycle engine, fast reving, high HP, lightweight, compact. Maybe the rotational torque couldn't be dealt with, I don't know but I think it would be worth a second attempt.
I'm pretty sure it didn't catch on for cars because it was difficult and expensive to rebuild, once it would wear out, it was a throwaway. I don't know how the newer Mazda rotaries are holding up
They hold up great...IF you're familiar with rotary engines and how to take care of them.

Unfortunately, the Rx8 rotary is considered a "bad engine" because young kids and women who want a "sporty car" purchase them, and can't maintain the engine properly...so it fails prematurely, and often.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 10:12 PM

You could buy a brand new rotary engine motorcycle--at least you could last year. But it'll cost you.
http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/mo...otorcycle.aspx
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFK9 View Post
They hold up great...IF you're familiar with rotary engines and how to take care of them.

Unfortunately, the Rx8 rotary is considered a "bad engine" because young kids and women who want a "sporty car" purchase them, and can't maintain the engine properly...so it fails prematurely, and often.
An gets the fuel economy of a V8.

I had the opportunity to buy a bike similar to my first bike and was very tempted. Thankfully it was several states away and made me think about the negatives of the 1970s bikes. Decided to leave it a nice memory.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 07:14 AM

Wow... I didn't even know this bike existed.
I purchased a new Mazda Rotary Engine pickup truck when they were first offered with the 1974 model year... and it was a fireball on the road. Man would that truck go!!! Gas mileage was crap at the best of times but at 35 cents per gallon it was just fine.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

I really did have a suit like that
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 AM

I remember that bike. I't had a lot of strange things add on to make it more "High Tech"

I had a RX7 and the motor had HP but little torque and I had to learn to drive all over again. Gas mileage was poor and the burned oil, it was designed to do so to lube the seals, and if you didn't stay on top of it you could run it out of oil...and motor!

The Wankel is a good motor, simple but hard to build as it only has 3 major moving parts. BUT they have to be made and put together just right to work. Slop you can get away with in a V-8 isn't working in a Wankel. Costly to build I was told.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Norton NRV588. Twin-rotor Wankel 588 cc, 170 HP @ 11,500 rpm.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullcircle View Post
I really did have a suit like that
Mine was yellow and was worn with a flowered brown shirt with really extraordinary collars. Transitting London Heathrow airport in the mid 70s, I was approached by several young girls and asked if I was a rock star! I still laugh about that scene (and how ridiculous I must have appeared).

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode