54.6 MPG with 43 tooth sprocket!!!!!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
54.6 MPG with 43 tooth sprocket!!!!!!

Put the 43 tooth on and took ride to Canyon Lake came back and topped It off and yup 54.6 MPG and I didn't forget to multiply 1.07 to get the correct miles. The next 3 days will tell me the freeway mileage at 70 to 75 MPH will keep you posted!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 08:21 AM

I've got the 43T and I have never gotten more than 46mpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
So, did the 4.6 mpg increase adaquately compensate for less smiles when taking off and powering out of the curves?

My '07 Ninja 650 in stock form averaged 60 mpg, but definitely was not as fun as riding the Versys.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 09:02 AM

On my stock 2011, I go about 285-300km before the reserve light goes on...sometimes I feel it's a bit more thirsty then it should be. Then again, I can't say I ride it like a Sunday driver. I usually get way better mpg when I have a passenger, cause I ride much smoother and slower. I think I'm averaging around 43mpg solo.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yours has a reserve light? I'm averaging 56~57 miles per US gallon.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 09:15 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 12:38 PM.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Sorry I ment before last bar starts blinking...(just used to the term with my other bike hehe)
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
So, did the 4.6 mpg increase adaquately compensate for less smiles when taking off and powering out of the curves?

My '07 Ninja 650 in stock form averaged 60 mpg, but definitely was not as fun as riding the Versys.
To each their own, but you smile when you take off with stock gearing and use up 1st gear in about 15 yards? With stock gearing, 1st gear was pretty much useless to me and I always short shifted to second gear almost right away to get the best accelleration. I have 43 gearing and I am pretty sure (read: positive) it is FASTER (as in 1/4 mile) than it was stock. Each gear pulls SOOOOOOOO much longer that the 43 bike would have to shift at least two less times in a quarter mile race. The stock bike might get the jump, but would quickly lose it on the shift from first to second gears when the 43 bike would still be pulling first gear, and that same thing would happen at least one more time before the 1/4 mile was up. I think taller gearing makes the bike MORE fun to ride. And, I like how the engine feels so much more relaxed when cruising at high speeds on the slab. The enhanced gas mileage is just a bonus to me. Truth is, with six speeds what does gearing really matter (other than for top-gear high speed cruising)? With six speeds, you can always find a gear to get the kind of drive you are looking for, regardless of gearing (within reason, of course). The exact same "thrust" the stocker gets in 4th gear coming out of a corner, can be found in 3rd gear on the 43 bike, etc.

Anyway, is it true you get accurate mileage by multiplying by 1.07? (150 miles would actually be 160.5 miles?) I had been adding on 9% to the indicated mileage (150 miles = 163.5 miles) Just curious....

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Are you sure you calculated your mileage right? And have you covered all your basis making sure air breather is clean and tire pressure? I'm curious are you running with stock exhaust?
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMoto View Post
Anyway, is it true you get accurate mileage by multiplying by 1.07? (150 miles would actually be 160.5 miles?) I had been adding on 9% to the indicated mileage (150 miles = 163.5 miles) Just curious....
46t/43t=1.07, so it's a correction for the sprocket change. If the old numbers were accurate than that scale factor will make the new ones accurate.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 09:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMoto View Post
To each their own, but you smile when you take off with stock gearing and use up 1st gear in about 15 yards? With stock gearing, 1st gear was pretty much useless to me and I always short shifted to second gear almost right away to get the best accelleration. I have 43 gearing and I am pretty sure (read: positive) it is FASTER (as in 1/4 mile) than it was stock. Each gear pulls SOOOOOOOO much longer that the 43 bike would have to shift at least two less times in a quarter mile race. The stock bike might get the jump, but would quickly lose it on the shift from first to second gears when the 43 bike would still be pulling first gear, and that same thing would happen at least one more time before the 1/4 mile was up. I think taller gearing makes the bike MORE fun to ride. And, I like how the engine feels so much more relaxed when cruising at high speeds on the slab. The enhanced gas mileage is just a bonus to me. Truth is, with six speeds what does gearing really matter (other than for top-gear high speed cruising)? With six speeds, you can always find a gear to get the kind of drive you are looking for, regardless of gearing (within reason, of course). The exact same "thrust" the stocker gets in 4th gear coming out of a corner, can be found in 3rd gear on the 43 bike, etc.

What RPMs are you shifting at? Hey no need to justify the change to me. I have a cruiser for when I want to take it easy. The Versys is my 'sport' bike. Even with the 46T sprocket I have to downshift two gears to pass, but the bike will go if you get the RPMs above 6000.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 05:47 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I know I'm getting 50+ mpg. Was going to to try 44T, but don't want to lose the fun factor of the bike? As twowheels has said.

I've never changed back to stock on any of my mods, this has me wondering, will this be the first?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 08:40 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 12:38 PM.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

44.6 MPG on freeway here In Arizona with 43 tooth

Well there It Is considering we run 75 80 for 150 miles I guess thats ok ? was hoping to get over or closer to 50.. I had 08 Ninja same motor and could always pull 53 54 MPG. That's ok wouldn't trade Versys for Ninja. From what I'm reading out there sounds like I'm lucky to be getting what I'm getting.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
With 15/43 sprockets, you're geared 6.9767441860465% taller than stock. As rear tire wears down, it soon goes down to 6% taller than stock, and so on... Then I'm not sure exactly how perfectly accurate odometer/tripmeters are with 15/46 sprockets, with unused rear 160/60 tire. Rear tire size also affects final drive ratio.

Last edited by invader; 10-15-2012 at 12:42 AM.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 11:58 PM
MTS

Thank you AzItLies! Thats awesome!

Invader good point! Tire size, tire wear?

Driveeeerr you should recalculate! So maybe you are getting over 50 mpg!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Smile 15 t and 38t sprocket

Talked to a guy today has 1000 suzuki, not sure of there gear ratio says he is running 15 front and 38 back and on the freeway he Is at 4000 RPM at 80 MPH getting 60 MPG. Don't think I will try that probably would have to get smaller chain. Anybody tried that on there Versys? Just curious!! Later guys
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 07:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Well if this helps... I've the 44, and when I get on it sometimes, cuz I hate slow drivers, the front wheel is off the ground a bit in the beginning of 2nd.

I'm not *trying* to do this... it does it on it's own!

And honestly, anyone who's having to downshift twice to pass? You're in the wrong gear for your speed. Doesn't matter what sprocket you have.

To me, the 44 is what this bike should have come with.
You must weigh 120 lbs if the front wheel comes off the ground in second without dropping the clutch. Either that or your carrying your bowling ball collection in the top trunk.

Cruising in top gear on the back roads and limited space to pass a logging truck necessitates downshifting to 4th. Of course I have the Concours to compare acceleration to (which completes a pass before you finish thinking about passing).

If the Versys had come with a 44T I don't know if the test ride at the "Ticket to Ride Event" would have convinced me to pass on the Connie that year and replace the KLR with the Versys.

I guess that is the nice thing about having to deal with a chain. Everyone can set the bike up to meet their fun factor.

My Versys Travels:

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 09:23 PM

Mannn... I don't know you guys are getting these great MPG numbers. Even before my TraX side cases, I've only been averaging anywhere from 38-43 MPG. That's with primarily gentle short highway riding and very occasional short spirited accelerations.

Almost at 7,500 miles though, so maybe air filter needs checking? My stock tires are also pretty worn out (changing them ASAP).

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

"Sykes" do you still have original exhaust on your Versys ? I put on a Jardine slip on with the power commander. That original muffler must way 10 pounds. I would think too you should be getting better fuel mileage something Is wrong some where?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode