Tour de Oklahoma - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tour de Oklahoma

Being a new rider I figured I would be smart and NOT take off across the country on massive trip in the beginning, but I wanted to ride more and learn about my Versys. Sooo... I decided to put rubber on pavement in all counties of my state, Oklahoma.

I have started in the central and western part of the state near where I live and have been making steady progress. This has been mostly plains and farmland, but I just even the time on the bike. I'm most looking forward to the eastern side of the state because of the wooded terrain and twisty roads.

The big finale (hopefully next summer)... is going to be a 2,000+ mile loop through Colorado (via the panhandle counties ) and New Mexico before visiting some friends in Texas on the way home.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
My latest trip was to the north! ...Kingfisher, Garfield, Grant, Alfalfa, Woods, Major, and Blaine counties.
Some things I learned today...
-you can sing as loud as you want to the music when you ride a motorcycle.
-it is therapeutic to talk to the animals you see and the other vehicles on the rode.
-in Northern Ok. it is possible to have the motorcycle leaned to the left while turning to the right. (dislike the wind!)
-big bugs make interesting shapes on my helmet when they splat.

PS- one of these days I'll remember to take some pictures of the awesomely flat land I have seen so far, so you guys can be jealous!
PSS- the blue counties are the ones I visited on my V.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg county.jpg (21.1 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by kdfarnham; 10-12-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 04:12 PM

You will learn your bike better and know what you want to change and what works before that 2000 mile trip you have planned.

Short trips can be fun and you never know what you'll find ride next door to home.

I live in Ohio close to Dayton and on my first trips after moving here I found a ton of covered bridges! At least 15 within 40 miles of my front door. Being from Florida I thought they were all gone other than on post cards and most of these are still in use.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

I agree! While western OK is known for the flatness, there have been some nice spots with cool views. There is also a wide variety of terrain/vegetation from one side of OK to the other because we are situated on the cross timbers (divide between wooded eastern US and plains west).

So it is interesting to ride from a wooded stream-crossed area, into the plains, and out into a dry western view all within a couple of hundred miles. Needless to say... It makes this geography teacher's heart happy!

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 06:41 PM

Interesting how much your map of Oklahoma looks like Massachusetts...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
Huh? Do you mean size/shape or county names?

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
Or Texas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 07:32 AM

I am headed to eastern OK today for a couple days of riding. One of my favorite places and it is only three hours from me.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 08:48 AM

lol, today the map is Maryland. Wow you really get around dude...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 AM

Riding Oklahoma

Hmmm, map looks like Tennessee to me. When you get the chance, take a ride through the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge located in Commanche County - just North of Lawton. Be careful though because the Refuge is open range for Long Horn cattle and buffalo. Nice views from Mt. Scott and spend some time in Medicine Park. I would recommend The Old Plantation in Medicine Park for a good meal.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:30 PM

Nice!

I've got my Versys set up for touring. She did me right on a 4000 mile 10-day trip from SLC to Seattle back to DFW. I'd be happy to answer questions, or you can probably talk me into a day trip if you'd like to meet up for lunch somewhere around Ardmore or OKC to see my setup.

I'd rather be riding.
2005 Triumph Speed Triple | 2009 Blue Versys
1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 ZX6R (sold) | 2008 Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki M50 (sold) | 2006 Ninja 500 (sold)

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:35 PM

Now the state is West Virginia. I think there is seriously something wrong with the link you are using.

What website are you using to track this? I'd like to do it for my home state as well.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 02:29 PM

Colorado is home for me. You want to know where to ride here let me know. I can share more than a few rides. Pretty familiar with northern new mexico too.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 03:34 PM

Funnt I have VA now...you ride a lot don't ya!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
When you get the chance, take a ride through the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge located in Commanche County - just North of Lawton. Be careful though because the Refuge is open range for Long Horn cattle and buffalo. Nice views from Mt. Scott and spend some time in Medicine Park. I would recommend The Old Plantation in Medicine Park for a good meal.
I did this back in the summer. I saw a few bison, longhorn, deer, and a coyote to top it off. Enjoyed the ride to the top of Mt. Scott!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Funnt I have VA now...you ride a lot don't ya!
haha Shhh... I'm hoping my wife doesn't find out!
I think I have it fixed now!
...and thanks to all the guys who offered route advice/help. I'll hit you up when things get closer to being concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
What website are you using to track this? I'd like to do it for my home state as well.
http://www.mob-rule.com/counties/index.html
A very basic site. Just email the guy to get an account and get to clicking on the counties! I've become addicted.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

It's Spring Break so I thought it was time to get started again! I took three days to go riding around the NE corner of the state and my parents were gracious enough to provide a home base for me to crash each night!

(Caption: You know you're getting older when your elementary school has been torn down!)
NE Oklahoma counties tour, Day 1 - Logan, Payne, Noble, Kay, Osage, Washington, Nowata, Rogers, Tulsa, Pawnee
Things learned...
#1 Going 70+mph in 37 degree weather is COLD!
#2 Interstates are a necessary evil to get where you want to go.
#3 Northern Ok has a beauty all it's own, but GEEZ it is flat!
#4 HWY60 from Pawhuska-Bartlesville had some interesting sections.
#5 Bartlesville is bigger than I expected. They've used that oil money well.
#6 I've got a new routine. Drink coffee to get warm. Have to go to the bathroom an hour or so down the road means I get to stretch. Drink more coffee and repeat!

(Caption: HWY62 westbound to Tahlequah)
NE Oklahoma counties tour, Day 2 - Mayes, Craig, Ottawa, Delaware, Adair, Cherokee, Wagoner
Things learned...
#1 Interstates are still necessary, but tend to be soulless.
#2 Going 75+mph in 35 degree weather is also COLD!
#3 I really like riding through small towns. I can only begin to imagine the history in all those red brick buildings!
#4 Hwy59 south out of Jay to Hwy62 west to Tahlequah was twisty and fun.
#5 The twisty parts sometimes make me nervous.
#6 Putting down the passenger pegs and propping my feet up there makes for a nice change of angle on long stretches of interstate.
#7 My motorcycle is fun!

(Caption: The Round Barn in Arcadia on Hwy66)
NE Oklahoma counties tour, Day 3 - Creek, Lincoln
Things learned...
#1 When you don't have as far to go, starting later to let the temperature rise a few degrees is a smart idea!
#2 Hwy66 was probably better during the 50's/60's.
#3 Hwy66 was nice for the historical significance, but the Turnpike is definitely more convenient going between Tulsa and OKC.
#4 My motorcycle is still fun.
#5 I'm ready to visit some more counties soon!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 11:32 PM

Be sure to visit Le flore(Talihina) and McCurtain Counties(Beavers Bend). While you are in the area, visit Honobia( between Talihina and Beavers Bend),home of Bigfoot. Of course if you are in that section you must ride the Talimena Scenic Drive. Enjoy!
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk9151 View Post
Be sure to visit Le flore(Talihina) and McCurtain Counties(Beavers Bend). While you are in the area, visit Honobia( between Talihina and Beavers Bend),home of Bigfoot. Of course if you are in that section you must ride the Talimena Scenic Drive. Enjoy!
I've made a few trips that way for backpacking trips and have always enjoyed my time there. My plan is to get to Hugo or Broken Bow and stay the night before winding my way back north to I40 and heading back home.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 02:05 PM

Have enjoyed this string! Hope you finish up your trip safely.

Altus, OK is my hometown and lived in Elk City (on Route 66) for a few years and then Pueblo, CO. Eastern OK is definitely the most scenic and western CO is the most scenic. My dad lives in north Dallas and is forever trying to get me to move there. My response is "Dad, it's way to flat and windy." Have been in Alabama for 7 years, the hills of AL, TN and northern GA are great riding. I've found home!

Bama Dan

Current Stable:
'08 Versys
'09 Piaggio BV250
'04 Harley Ultra Classic w/ Bushtec trailer
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Tour de Oklahoma continues...
Counties visited: Wa-shi-ta (had to break it down so the forum would stop censoring it!), Beckham, Greer, Harmon, Jackson, Tillman, Cotton, Jefferson, & Stephens
-While the 25ish mph wind is doable, I don't recommend it on a regular basis.
-Old, deserted towns are starting to look the same to me.
-LOTS of flat farmland out there in SW Oklahoma. Beautiful, but FLAT!
-Relient K and fresh air is my kind of worship service! 🙏

The flatness...

The Wichita Mountains, one of the few elevated places in SW Oklahoma!

Didn't see the sign until after I got home, but I guess we know why this town is deserted now! #JustSayNo
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Tour de Oklahoma... Experimental

Roman Nose State Park...
-I plan to camp when I see the SE part of the state, and figured a trial run at a local state park would be a good idea.
-I used to backpack, so rounding up the camping gear was not a problem.
-Riding in 90+ temps wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. (ATGATT and soaked neck-towel-thingy)
-The campsite was full, but calm... a blessing considering it was a Friday night.
-Enjoyed the time outdoors and look forward to more of the same next summer in Colorado or northern New Mexico!
-Maybe it's because I have farmers in my family, but it sure is beautiful seeing the sun rising over golden farmland.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1371335775.550325.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1371335807.017570.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1371335732.467601.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1371335827.043536.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
water damage layton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode