Garmin Touchscreen Problem - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Garmin Touchscreen Problem

I have a Garmin Zumo 450. After many years of touching it with my leather gloves it has become quite worn. Now when I try to use it, it is basically impossible. The gloves have worn it to here there is marks over the areas that get touched the most. It causes the GPS to have false touches on the screen, and basically locks me out as I cant enter the proper password.

I am guessing I just need to replace the outer screen, but not sure where to get parts.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 11:16 PM

Contact Garmin. They have a service dept that essentially sends you a refurb one after you send yours in for $x , with x depending on the model, etc. I've done that with a Forerunner, and assume it is done for Zumo's too.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 12:32 PM

I got my nuvi 550 replaced for $99. You have to be patient with the customer service line. They are a little slow picking up the call. However, once you get through their service agents are really good. You have to call and get an RMA number before you can send it out. I got my replacement unit back less than a week after I send it.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well after doing a bunch of searching online I have discovered that my problem is not uncommon with the zumos. The problem is the "digitizer" screen starts peeling.

Here is a thread on ADVRider about the problem, and the way to fix it.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...63&postcount=3

Here is a new touchscreen on EBAY for $27.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en

So I will do that route rather than send it to Garmin for over $100

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It doesnt seem like many people on here have problems with their Garmin screen, but if any body starts to have the screen look like its pealing, it is a simple fix. Just follow the link to the instructions on repairing for far less than paying Garmin to do it.

I have $27 invested in the repair, plus $5 because I had to buy a torx bit to open the Garmin case. Took me 30 mins to repair the screen.

08' Versys
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 10:42 PM

Mine did the same thing and I sent it back to Garmin for a replacement.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
Mine did the same thing and I sent it back to Garmin for a replacement.
What did they charge you, and how old was the GPS?

08' Versys
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 01:36 PM

I did the touch screen repair to my Zumo 550 myself. It is not very complicated.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 02:01 PM

My 450 is getting long in the tooth so the DIY repair info is very valuable. Thanks!

Also, though not applicable for the above, before going down any repair route don't forget to try re-calibrating the screen. Turn the zumo off. Press and hold the power button until prompted.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 08:23 PM

I ordered a screen off of EBay, and installed it myself. One half hour of work and $10 total including postage to my door.
Crazy easy.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
I did the touch screen repair to my Zumo 550 myself. It is not very complicated.
Yup. Found your instructions on ADVRider to help me through it.

08' Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode