• 1 Post By StormRider
  • 1 Post By Wolfcamp
  • 1 Post By otto_versys_blotto
  • 1 Post By Devilsfan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up Ready to Go

I pick up my baby this weekend. 2018 LT ABS. Added LED aux lights, Oxford heaterz grips, and a 12V plug. Thinking about ordering a Givi XS320 tank bag w/ BF26 mounting flange, as it'd be nice to carry lunch to work without the saddlebags.

Upcoming farkles desired:
-Rad Guard
-Skid Plate
-Engine Guards
-ADV tires

Any tips or tricks for a new Versys owner? I have only owned 1 bike before, and I loved her more than life itself, despite all her issues (she was Italian, after all).

Kyle E likes this.

2010 Aprilia Shiver 750 "Ruthy"
2018 Kawasaki Versys 650LT ABS "Lucy"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:37 PM

Garage
I think most of us do some variation of the following:
1. Lower the bike
2. Change the seat as it is horrible
3. Change windshield (also not the best).
4. Change rear sprocket (44T) to make 1st gear more usable.

Lots of folks with different preferences but you'll figure it out. Welcome to the club!
abramsgunner likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
1. Lower the bike

Lots of folks with different preferences but you'll figure it out. Welcome to the club!
the bike didn't feel too tall at the dealership, but maybe I'll feel differently after I've spent some time on it. I'm barely 5'10". I am anxious to see how my butt reacts to the seat. Apparently my old Shiver 750 was known to have a bad seat but my giant hockey-arse did not mind it one bit. I'm hoping the same happens this time around. And thanks, glad to be here!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:11 PM

Congrats on your new Versys, Otto!

I have had mine for almost 2 months now and love it! As I've never really had an issue with windscreens on any bike I've ever owned I won't comment on that. But I will say that stock seat was rough! It pushes you forward towards the tank.
Luckily a nice member on here sold me his Sargent seat. Makes a total difference and I can ride my Versys for hours now!

As for the height, at 5'10" (and shrinking!) with a 31" inseam I tend to tiptoe a little unless I slide forward when stopped. I thought of lowering but for now I'm fine with the height.

Besides luggage and the seat I'm keeping mine stock! Love this motorcycle!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto_versys_blotto View Post
Apparently my old Shiver 750
Sorry to derail your thread but I know so few people who have ever owned one. I took one for a test ride a few years ago and loved just about everything about it. I think the only thing that stopped me was I couldn't figure out a decent way to make it into a tourer. What did you like or not like about the bike? If you don't mind the tangent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:17 PM

I have had the 2017 versys LT for about a year now and commute with it almost daily (70miles round trip per day) and also take it touring and joy riding.

I find the best first thing I did to the bike was add crash bars (offroad-ish style) and get the top case and its mounting parts. Made it into an excellent tourer with the top case and panniers and alone the top case is great for commuting while still being able to fit through traffic. I also like the top case better than a tank case.

Stock Windshield: only had an issue with it after a hard 12+ hour ride to cover around 900+ miles.
Stock Seat: same as the windshield. Only had an issue after 10+ hours in the saddle in a day. And after the first day of that long trip I think my ass hardened to the challenge. The biggest issue here that I had was actually just needing to stretch my knees, so I'm looking into getting highway pegs if any exist.

Best, and enjoy the new versys! I love mine.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:21 PM

Tip: careful in 1st or 2nd gear about taking off with the panniers or top case really loaded. It becomes easy to throw up the front wheel and if you're not prepared or used to it, it can be alarming.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 06:17 AM

there are no skid plates, only rock guards; never try to put the bikes weight or bash into these flimsy shields. Ride this conservatively like a street bike on dirt, not an enduro, and you should be fine.

I disagree with many of the above:

dont Lower the bike, not at 5'10", especially for adv as it's already low clearance.

seat is pretty good. at least on 2015+. wait at least a year to see.

sprockets are fine. you don't want to cruise at even higher rpms don't you? you wont avoid clutching at low speed with a 4-5% sprocket change. waste of time, money and makes the speedometer accuracy even worse.

all you're interested in is already on the forum, so the best tip is use the search....
Oh, and welcome and congrats!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaloresMercy View Post
Tip: careful in 1st or 2nd gear about taking off with the panniers or top case really loaded. It becomes easy to throw up the front wheel and if you're not prepared or used to it, it can be alarming.
Good tip, I've never had panniers before, I used to load everything in a super large tank bag and backpack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
there are no skid plates, only rock guards; never try to put the bikes weight or bash into these flimsy shields. Ride this conservatively like a street bike on dirt, not an enduro, and you should be fine.

I disagree with many of the above:

dont Lower the bike, not at 5'10", especially for adv as it's already low clearance.

seat is pretty good. at least on 2015+. wait at least a year to see.

sprockets are fine. you don't want to cruise at even higher rpms don't you? you wont avoid clutching at low speed with a 4-5% sprocket change. waste of time, money and makes the speedometer accuracy even worse.

all you're interested in is already on the forum, so the best tip is use the search....
Oh, and welcome and congrats!
Thanks, it will be a while before I venture offroad (I'm thinking around when it's time for new rubber) but I definitely will not be going too hardcore. Just fire roads and bigger trails. I have a feeling I will enjoy this engine/sprocket combo just the way it is, according to everything I've read it's drama-free and that's what I'm looking for.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
1. Lower the bike

Yes and check on #3 and #4 above. I'm still debating with my ironbutt on #2, I don't find it too bad. #1 ain't gonna happen since I'm 6'3"
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
Sorry to derail your thread but I know so few people who have ever owned one. I took one for a test ride a few years ago and loved just about everything about it. I think the only thing that stopped me was I couldn't figure out a decent way to make it into a tourer. What did you like or not like about the bike? If you don't mind the tangent.
Hoo-boy, where to start.... Yes, the Shiver is a fun and beautiful bike. She was comfortable, sexy, and had good handling. But as you mentioned, difficult to tour with. I had the Puig touring screen, givi tank bag (can't remember which one but she was big). But even with the screen and bag providing some protection, you get blasted constantly which would get tiresome after hour 4.

That's not to mention all the issues it gave me. The fueling was super messed up, and it was made only bearable with a fuel line mod from a fellow Aprilia forum member. Different sensors would crap out constantly. I spent a lot of money fixing that bike. I live in Canada so every part had to ship from Italy or Texas. Plus the aftermarket was crap, hardly anybody made stuff for it. Maybe that's different now.

Overall I'm happy I owned it for the time I did, but I would never subject myself to the extra costs and time needed to own a rare bike again. I just want to take care of my bike and ride it 24 hours a day, is that too much to ask?

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:46 AM

Garage
Quote:

The best solution for me was the AirHawk seat cushion (see pic). Much cheaper than a custom saddle and I find it works great for the type of riding I do now (weekend sport touring and the occasional two or three day trip). If I was to go back to multi-week, seriously long distance touring, I would purchase a custom saddle.:

otto_versys_blotto likes this.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!:

Quote:
...I have only owned 1 bike before, and I loved her more than life itself, despite all her issues (she was Italian, after all)....
Italian eh? THAT about says it ALL...!

Quote:
1. Lower the bike
I disagree w/ StormRider.
1. I'm 5'9" and do NOT feel a need to lower my Vs;
2. I raised the front of the seat (9/16") on ALL THREE of my V 650s for about $2 each;
3. I rode BOTH ways across Canada last summer (8,668 miles/ 25 days) using my OEM shield ('15 V650) thru LOTS of rain - worked GREAT!!!; and
4. I've ridden OVER 150,000 miles on my '08, '09 and '15 V 650s w/ STOCK gearing - works WELL!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
Congrats on your new Versys, Otto!

I have had mine for almost 2 months now and love it! As I've never really had an issue with windscreens on any bike I've ever owned I won't comment on that. But I will say that stock seat was rough! It pushes you forward towards the tank.
Luckily a nice member on here sold me his Sargent seat. Makes a total difference and I can ride my Versys for hours now!

As for the height, at 5'10" (and shrinking!) with a 31" inseam I tend to tiptoe a little unless I slide forward when stopped. I thought of lowering but for now I'm fine with the height.

Besides luggage and the seat I'm keeping mine stock! Love this motorcycle!
Being that we're the same height, I feel as though the stock windscreen will definitely be enough for me. After a naked, any wind protection at all will probably feel amazing.

As a side note, I hope you are enjoying Taylor Hall. I am a die-hard Oilers fan and he was one of our best players of all time. Hopefully the Devils can come back against the Lightning, I want Hall to win a cup.
Devilsfan likes this.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!:

Italian eh? THAT about says it ALL...!

I disagree w/ StormRider.
1. I'm 5'9" and do NOT feel a need to lower my Vs;
2. I raised the front of the seat (9/16") on ALL THREE of my V 650s for about $2 each;
3. I rode BOTH ways across Canada last summer (8,668 miles/ 25 days) using my OEM shield ('15 V650) thru LOTS of rain - worked GREAT!!!; and
4. I've ridden OVER 150,000 miles on my '08, '09 and '15 V 650s w/ STOCK gearing - works WELL!
Well it's great to know there's a cheap fix if I do indeed feel this "push forward on the seat" I've been hearing about. And yes, I should've known going in that the Italian mistress was going to be a PIA hahaha

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
As a side note, I hope you are enjoying Taylor Hall. I am a die-hard Oilers fan and he was one of our best players of all time. Hopefully the Devils can come back against the Lightning, I want Hall to win a cup.

Yeah...I don't see the Devils coming back from anything. I gotta admit, since #30 left the team has never been the same.
otto_versys_blotto likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode