550 Miles and a Few Farkles - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
RLM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
550 Miles and a Few Farkles

Hopefully some of the below information will be helpful to other newbies or folks looking to purchase a Versys. For the old timers, there probably isn't anything new

Over the last three weeks, I had my Versys out for some 3 hour rides along with communing to work which is about 13 miles one way. It has been about 16 years since I last rode a cycle, so when I started looking earlier this year, I wanted to make sure I got something that fit my 6'4 42 year old frame. After the first 550 miles, the Versys definitely is meeting those goals. I feel comfortable while riding the bike, and even after three hours on the bike, I am not sore and could ride longer. My weekend rides consist of a lot of mountain roads in the Western Virginia\West Virginia\Western Maryland area while my commute is the typical boring commute on relatively busy state roads (no interstates or major highways), and the Versys handles both of these very well.

The one item that I had to change was the mirror location. All I saw were my shoulders and could not see the vehicles behind me. This was a simple fix by ordering the mirror extenders from MotoWerkz. These mounts move the mounting point further outboard, and now, I can see behind me. The extenders greatly improved my visibility and safety.

I also added the SW Motech engine guard and a front fender extender. Hopefully, the engine guards won't be used, but they are cheap insurance in case the bike goes down. The front fender extension will come in handy when I'm on wet streets and unpaved roads which I have experienced a couple times already.

My next purchase will be a top case, but I still need to do a little more research between the SW Motech and Givi racks along with what size top case I want. The top case will provide the storage that I want\need for commuting (storage for rain\cold weather gear, lunch and laptop).

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Greg - nice to have you back on two wheels.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 10:41 AM

I have the Givi rack but would opt for the aluminum SW-Motech or other rack because it is much lighter and does not rust. it also replaces the heavy side grab handles.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
RLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
I have the Givi rack but would opt for the aluminum SW-Motech or other rack because it is much lighter and does not rust. it also replaces the heavy side grab handles.
Good feedback. Thanks

Greg

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLM View Post
My next purchase will be a top case, but I still need to do a little more research between the SW Motech and Givi racks along with what size top case I want. The top case will provide the storage that I want\need for commuting (storage for rain\cold weather gear, lunch and laptop).

If you think the SW Motech crash bars were cheap insurance then go for the SW Motech topcase rack.

As far as top case size goes... I went with the Givi V46 and I'm glad I did. Anything smaller I think would have been too small. What I carry is exactly what you listed.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode