Best seat for comfort? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Best seat for comfort?

I know this has been discussed at length, and I know it varies from person to person. The wife and I went for a ride tonight, about an hour. When we got to where we were going both our butts hurt pretty bad. Almost to the point of dreading the ride home! The seat is stock and was just wondering what option I have and what your thoughts are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I WENT THROUGH 7 SEATS ON MY V-650.......You should give this guy a try...Quality work at a reasonable price....https://www.terryscustomseats.com
jimS and keller9431 like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I WENT THROUGH 7 SEATS ON MY V-650.......You should give this guy a try...Quality work at a reasonable price....https://www.terryscustomseats.com
Thanks, I will check them out. Hard to spend the money on a new seat not knowing how is going to be.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
7 seats man that is not giving up-I raised my front 1/4" good for 150 miles and that's all I'm doing- did do 3 windshields though--stock back on

Deep in Cajun Country
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
7 seats man that is not giving up-I raised my front 1/4" good for 150 miles and that's all I'm doing- did do 3 windshields though--stock back on
Most of them i got super deals on and wanted to try them out. If i like one better i would sell the older one...

The first seat i bought was a Baldwin Tall w Gel Pad & Leather Cover and blue stitching. Over $700.00 Rode 850 miles the first day and 550 miles the second when i rode it from Texas to Cali

IMG_0013 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2nd seat was a Russell Day Long i got from a fellow member for a Stock Seat i had plus $150.00. Then i got a Corbin what a heavy hard turd worst seat i ever tried. Then 2 Kawi Gel Seats a Terry Adcock Flat Seat and the last one was a Seat Concepts seat...
keller9431 likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 04-14-2018 at 12:02 AM.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Don't change. Factory is good, compared to other models the versys got it right (although many complain about the small slant forward, I don't).

But if you must waste money, do not buy Corbin. It's horribly hard with stiches in absolutely wrong places, very expensive, poor fit, heavy, steals the underseat storage and 0 support and I mean 0, they don't even answer phone calls or emails. Not joking. Got set back by over 700$ total, after shipping and customs.
lhwahl, weljo2001 and keller9431 like this.

Last edited by dddd; 04-14-2018 at 09:25 AM.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 09:13 AM

Garage
I got a "new old stock" Corbin in the fall for very little $. Too cheap to not buy it. It is hard and very heavy. It also took some adjusting of the catch for it to latch. That said, it is beginning to break-in and is becoming more comfortable with every ride. My commute is about 45 minutes each way. Having to wear many layers to ride in cold weather may have helped ease the break-in pains some. I haven't been on any long rides yet, so no conclusions just yet.

Time will tell if it is the right seat for me, but I'm not likely to loose $ if I sell it.
keller9431 likes this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 09:18 AM

It's entirely a personal issue and is largely dependent on how your backside is constructed. Despite the almost universal dislike of Corbin saddles, my Corbin has treated me very well. But that doesn't mean it's right for you. The trouble is finding the one that works for you without spending a fortune in the process.

I've found that my Corbin comfort factor is greater than my bladder capacity and that's as good a measure as any I've come up with so far. After a bladder-empty stop I've found that I can be comfortable until my bladder meter pegs once again. Spoiler alert - don't get old, it's a trap!

Good luck finding what works for you. And remember your mileage may vary, and batteries not included!
keller9431 likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
it is beginning to break-in and is becoming more comfortable with every ride.
That's just your butt getting used to any hard surface, particularly early in riding season.
keller9431 likes this.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
...Spoiler alert - don't get old, it's a trap!...
BUT it sure beats the alternative...!

quexpress and Turk like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 08:03 PM

Garage
After coming from a Honda Rebel, the Versys seat is like riding on an easy chair.
I guess I just don't have enough saddle time yet.

Randy
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 11:06 PM

I agree with dddd. The foam is very supportive without creating pressure points. Raising the front of the seat stanchion helped with the strong tendency to constantly slide forward until the boys were embracing the tank. Also I peeled back the cover and did a little sculpting with a turkey carving knife which helps with flatfooting at stops. (32 inch inseam). I narrowed it about halfway back and lowered the foam behind my butt. Put the cover back on and you can't hardly see the work I did. Now, I never even think about sliding forward involuntarily.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 09:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
That's just your butt getting used to any hard surface, particularly early in riding season.

What is this "riding season" you speak of? I'm not a wannabe pirate on a chromed pony, I ride year round. If it is above freezing and the roads are clear of most ice and snow, I'm riding. Every month this year has had nice riding weather in my area.

Maybe riding on the cold seat has forced it to break in quicker? Or could cleaning and treating the leather a few times have helped?
keller9431 likes this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the replies! I do understand it is a personal preference on which seat is the best and it varies from person to person. I am getting older(46) and maybe that is part of the problem and then maybe weighing in at 140 lbs with no butt to speak of is a problem too? I just hate spending a lot of money to just "try out" a seat and find it wont work for me. I guess buying a few different seats to find the best one is still cheaper than a new bike. I love this bike and really want to do a lot of riding! I have had several bikes in my years(and have put a lot of miles on my bikes) and this stock seat has been the worst for me. I will keep this post updated on what I end up with.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 10:41 AM

Greetings from the same latitude in Michigan 16VGTIDave. I've also ridden in 25 degree Fahrenheit when sunny with no wind behind my Vetter fairing 1980 Honda 650 custom. However, I average 5 months per year now. Half of April (spotty) thru half of Sept. Just for grins I've included a picture out my front window today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tax day 2018.jpg (32.3 KB, 45 views)
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhwahl View Post
I agree with dddd. The foam is very supportive without creating pressure points. Raising the front of the seat stanchion helped with the strong tendency to constantly slide forward until the boys were embracing the tank. Also I peeled back the cover and did a little sculpting with a turkey carving knife which helps with flatfooting at stops. (32 inch inseam). I narrowed it about halfway back and lowered the foam behind my butt. Put the cover back on and you can't hardly see the work I did. Now, I never even think about sliding forward involuntarily.
Did the same thing here on my new 2017 versys 650 . Raised the front about 7/8" and shaved flat where my buns hit. Was a good improvement . I also added a 7/8" handlebar riser along with foam grip covers. Bought both off ebay cheaper than some out there. This bike is a different ride than my 2015 Road Star was and after the mods and some break in I`m starting to like it.

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
]
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
What is this "riding season" you speak of? I'm not a wannabe pirate on a chromed pony, I ride year round. If it is above freezing and the roads are clear of most ice and snow, I'm riding. Every month this year has had nice riding weather in my area.

Maybe riding on the cold seat has forced it to break in quicker? Or could cleaning and treating the leather a few times have helped?
Well, you may not have a harsh winter like some of us do (or even where it is illegal to ride in winter) so you don't have sensitive rear end every spring, but butt sensitivity decreases with sustained aggression... (!) and I wouldn't attribute the increasing comfort to any seat design; the corbin pitch is just BS; every seat appears to get more comfortable with time. But some are comfortable right away, forever. That's what one should look for.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keller9431 View Post
...I am getting older(46) and maybe that is part of the problem....
From MY vantage point of 'advanced-old-age', I would re-write that to: I am becoming LESS young(46)....

Quote:
...(or even where it is illegal to ride in winter)....
OR install SHINKO E705 tires which are marked "M+S" (MUD + SNOW) on the sidewalls, getting 'rid' of the illegality of riding on a 'nice' day during the winter!

-

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ShinkoM&S copy.jpg (278.8 KB, 32 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
tires which are marked "M+S" (MUD + SNOW) on the sidewalls, getting 'rid' of the illegality of riding on a 'nice' day during the winter!
that's not the pictogram required in QC. topic closed.
quexpress likes this.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
that's not the pictogram required in QC. topic closed.
That's right! In Quebec, between Dec 15 to March 15, it is mandatory for our vehicles (motorcycles included) to be equiped with winter tires. These winter tires must have the official pictogram. Otherwise they are illegal and our LEOs will be more than happy is issue a ticket.

Winter driving in Quebec
dddd likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode