Modulating headlight? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Modulating headlight?

To help being seen, I use a modulator on my headlight high beam at factory beam aim. Legal in all 50 states, it has a light sensor so it only modulates during daylight hours . in my opinion makes you a lot more visible.

Little surprised I don’t see more riders using a modulator. Why don’t more riders use a headlight modulator?

Cost $65-$120 depending on make model, simple plug and play install. Based on what folks will pay for useless farkels I don’t think it is a cost issue!

Last edited by Jack of Heats JoH; 04-02-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
To help being seen, I use a modulator on my headlight high beam at factory beam aim. Legal in all 50 states, it has a light sensor so it only modulates during daylight hours . in my opinion makes you a lot more visible.

Little surprised I donít see more riders using a modulator. Why donít more riders use a headlight modulator?

Cost $65-$120 depending on make model, simple plug and play install. Based on what folks will pay for useless farkels I donít think it is a cost issue!
I have had a headlight modulator on mine for the past few years.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:39 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
personally i hate them... i find them annoying , and i like to be able to use my pass switch...
weljo2001 and Urbanengineer like this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 09:41 AM

There's debate as to whether it increases or decreases safety. I've never had a headlight modulator, but I've had taillight modulators and extra taillights on prior bikes. The headlight modulators definitely get my attention when one is behind me, so that can't be all bad. Some folks believe they could fool oncoming cagers into thinking you're flashing them the OK sign to turn left in front of you. I haven't seen any hard evidence one way of the other.
Urbanengineer likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Unlikely a modulating headlight will be mistaken for an OK. The continuous high rate of flashing makes that unlikely. More often I get mistaken for a cop and folks in front slow down under the posted speed limit, my hi viz vest.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 07:14 PM

I make sure to turn in front of assholes with headlight modulators. Stupid it's legal, it is incredibly distracting. Please remove that from your motorcycle so you stop making people think they can turn in front of you. You are just confusing everyone.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

When 80% use a constant beam of light and the balance 20% use flashing /modulating light
, you are only confusing people. Educating road users is not a easy job.

Most European build car have daylight running with a constant beam which is recognized, but if you put a modulating light then it mistaken for a ER vehicle.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
I make sure to turn in front of assholes with headlight modulators. Stupid it's legal, it is incredibly distracting. Please remove that from your motorcycle so you stop making people think they can turn in front of you. You are just confusing everyone.
Distracting! That is good! Maybe I get the attention of the aholes who are texting as they drive only occasionally glancing up but not really paying attention.
quexpress likes this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I make sure to turn in front of assholes with headlight modulators.
Do you, a motorcyclist, really mean what you wrote here??? I can't believe it but I could be wrong...
silviefox and james75 like this.

I just shuffle slower.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 07:22 PM

Garage
I've never been a fan of them because I think a driver could see it as you are flashing your light at them, like a "go ahead and pull out" gesture. But that's just my personal opinion.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 07:35 PM

Twas a joke, but it's infuriating that anyone would actually think this helps. You are just confusing everyone.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Twas a joke,
OK this makes more sense. I didn't get it.

Quote:
but it's infuriating that anyone would actually think this helps. You are just confusing everyone.
Although I have been around the block more than a few times, this is the first time I encounter this opinion from a fellow rider. I'm very surprised.

Note: IMHO these are legal in most or every US State and also in every Province up here.

BTW, in our Province, it is strongly suggested to install these on our motorcycles by our vehicle department. These have proven to be a great help in being more conspicuous. To think that these are confusing just blows me away. But this wouldn't be the first time.

I just shuffle slower.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 12:41 AM

Personally I wouldn't put one on my bike. I hate when anyone is using highbeams, even during the day. I also believe that it would confuse others, depending on the frequency, since I very rarely see them used. I rely more on making sure I am seen with lane positioning, and other safety measures to help protect me from oncoming drivers and drivers behind me.
Urbanengineer and 16VGTIDave like this.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 09:11 AM

I found this to be far more effective. Very reasonable priced too.

silviefox and Urbanengineer like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 09:30 AM

Garage
I'm with the haters. Once had a "vehicle" approaching me with headlights flashing. I pulled to the side of the road to let what I thought was an "emergency vehicle" pass. Yes, I'm old enough to remember when emergency vehicles had flashing headlights. Anyway, turns out it was an obese husband and wife team on a pair of slow moving, thundering, cruisers. With headlight modulators set so slow their headlights were flashing on and off.

There is a difference between "being seen" and being "the focus of attention". Being the latter can get you into dangerous situations.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 11:03 AM

Garage
Yes, had one installed back in the 70's, it flashed low/hi beams at four per second.

Yes, it does get you noticed and some folks may pull over.

Yes, it is distracting/annoying to other drivers.

In rush hour or heavy traffic it is far more than annoying to the drivers in front of you, you may want to consider a cutoff switch. So now you cut it off (no value) and forget to turn it back on, so what is the point?

Haven't had one since then.

IMO, DRL's and mobile phones are the two gadgets that have decreased motorcycle safety significantly.

IMO, hate to say it but guv'mint needs to look at LEDs (tooo bright, especially at night) and perhaps change the headlight color to yellow instead of blinding white/blue. The tiny pinpoint of LED lighting creates after images on my eyes, need to consider dropping clear lenses and use translucent for the turn/brake lights.

2017 Versys 300 ABS, the fastest one ... green
5,000 + miles, 90% hard surface riding.

Last edited by wheels2ride; 04-05-2018 at 11:05 AM.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

For the record I have been using a modulator for 5 years. I would say it helps a lot more than it hurts. I also wear a hi viz vest and lane position where I can see and be seen. I turn the modulator off in stop and go traffic. It is more likely you will be confused with an emergency vehicle than someone flashing good to go. I will continue to use it and try to be mindful of stop and go situations. But it is legal and in my opinion beneficial.
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by Jack of Heats JoH; 04-05-2018 at 12:13 PM.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
I found this to be far more effective. Very reasonable priced too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F4ho0mYKtw

I just shuffle slower.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
For the record I have been using a modulator for 5 years. I would say it helps a lot more than it hurts. I also wear a hi viz vest and lane position where I can see and be seen. I turn the modulator off in stop and go traffic. It is more likely you will be confused with an emergency vehicle than someone flashing good to go. I will continue to use it and try to be mindful of stop and go situations. But it is legal and in my opinion beneficial.
I've been using a modulator for the past 3 years and find it very helpful.

My modulator is connected to my hi beams and only functions in day light. When it is dark outside, it does not operate.

BTW I only use hi beam when touring by myself. If I ride in a group (very rare) I use low beam only.

With conspicuity in mind, my headlights and auxiliary lights have yellow covers during day time. I try to avoid night riding but when it happens, I remove the yellow covers from my lights.

I also wear hi viz riding gear.

I just shuffle slower.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
. If I ride in a group (very rare) I use low beam only.
Interesting, funny thing is if I am not leading a group I am often asked to take the tail and leave the modulator on. Many ride leaders like it because it let's them know the where the back of the group is.

I believe by law the modulator must NOT function from Dusk to Dawn. Mine came with a light sensor that turns it off automatically.
quexpress and Urbanengineer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode