Saddle Bags - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Saddle Bags

New Versys rider looking into soft saddlebags. I found this thread, but it looks stale.

I'd like to add soft bags without the racks, obviously, to save on cost, but will (suggestions?), if needed.

I'm looking at these Vuz Moto bags. Anyone have experience and/or an opinion?

Several people on the above-mentioned threat mentioned Nelson Riggs and some others.

(1) ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?
(2) ANY THOUGHTS ON RACKS, NO RACKS?
(3) ANY EXPERIENCE WITH VUZ MOTO BAGS?

Thanks for any advice you can provide...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Any useful bags will be tall enough to move and hit the wheel. So a guard rail of some sort is required imho.

I once hacked a guide from the passenger peg to the rear fender on my old ninja, just to hold the bag away.
I can't recommend hacking unless you really know how to make it solid; this is not a trivial thing, it's your safety that is on the table.

You should know that most people evolve from soft to hard luggage (unless they do enduro on small bikes),
so if you want to skip ahead and save money in the end, perhaps the hard cases are better indicated.

If you cannot stand the versys LT sideopening cases (or if you don't have them), a pair of hard cases with rack mount may be 800$ but could last 20+ years. So at 40$ per year, is that really expensive? The soft bags will age faster, particularly seams, velcros and zippers, and could need replacement after 7 years (3x the price).

Just saying.
quexpress likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Agree with dddd to seriously consider hard bags. If you go soft, I would use a rack for sure for safety.

For hard bags, the factory are good for what they are but if I had to do it over again I would go aftermarket metal boxes. The factory luggage is sturdy and works well, except the shape is not convenient for rectangular objects like brief cases or bags of groceries. Aside from the shape I would highly recommend the factory bags actually.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I have cortech soft bags but have support racks. I think they are nice for the money but would have upgraded to hard bags if I could got back and start from scratch. I was amazed at how much better the hard top box was in terms of useful space and I think hard side cases would be similar.

Keep it rubber side down and enjoy the ride
Get healthy - Get Fit - Change Your Life

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 10:41 AM

Garage
I had Cortech Super 2.0 Saddlebags on my 2015 650 for a while. If you tighten them up just right, they won't swing into the rear tire area. I used them on highway (70-80 mph) and they did fine. It's best to tighten the straps after you have them loaded. Those cortech sat high enough anyway that it never sagged down to tire.

But I sold those to go with hard cases because I wanted the security to lock them.

You can't judge a book by its cover, but I know a coloring book when I see one.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Understood

Sounds like I need to go with hard bags or, at the very least, soft with a rack. Thank you all for your advice.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 02:50 PM

Just to be fair, there is one caveat with hard cases though: it's very annoying to carry both back/from a 2nd floor hotel room in the stairs and all.
(I improvised a handle tied to the lid of each).

I tend to pack quite full and they must be at least 20 lbs each. Wouldn't be surprised of 30lbs sometimes. Plus the removeable racks and usually something on the seat with a bungee net, I have my hands and arms and mouth full... I changed my hotel routine and packing to involve 2 round trips, takes longer but doesn't burn me out after a long day and I still get the chain lubed without a 3rd trip.

Some would say just pull the liner bag and leave the case on the bike. Doesn't work for me (sw motech trax alu boxes are tight at the rim) and besides, I don't like how thing would move out of place in the liner alone; a recipe for not being able to put it back in easily.

So there you have it, a small warning about hard case in real life.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Agree with dddd to seriously consider hard bags. If you go soft, I would use a rack for sure for safety.

For hard bags, the factory are good for what they are but if I had to do it over again I would go aftermarket metal boxes. The factory luggage is sturdy and works well, except the shape is not convenient for rectangular objects like brief cases or bags of groceries. Aside from the shape I would highly recommend the factory bags actually.
I ran these soft bags (w/ a guard) for quite a few years before I switched to aluminum panniers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Just to be fair, there is one caveat with hard cases though: it's very annoying to carry both back/from a 2nd floor hotel room in the stairs and all....So there you have it, a small warning about hard case in real life.
There IS another caveat: IF you go down and your leg gets caught UNDER the pannier you can easily break a leg. I went down, but luckily did NOT catch my leg....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00434 copy.JPG (403.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg P6212189.JPG (588.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 'moose' panniers1 copy.jpg (355.4 KB, 47 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 06:11 PM

Garage
I started out with the idea of soft bags, but by the time I got some quality ones and a rack the price was getting close to hard cases. So, I went that direction.

so it goes...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

I’ve looked at some of the soft bags. Many look like they don’t require racks. I’m leaning towards starting out with some like the Givi throw over bags (e.g., the Givi EA101B Easybag) and starting off there. I just can’t justify $400-$700 for hard bags right now, at least for my riding. (I commute and do day rides but I’d like to do some trips - that is in fact why I got the V.). Thoughts?

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi-...iABEgIUHfD_BwE
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 04:51 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Why not a rear tail bag? They make a few good ones that are expandable and are easily put on/taken off.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 06:30 AM

Back when all bikes had twin shocks, throw-over bags worked just fine without any sort of rack; I used throw-overs on various bikes. But now that most bikes have monoshocks, you really should have some way to prevent the bags from contacting the rear tire. It doesn't have to be anything fancy or expensive; just a simple bar or tube would do the trick. Many riders have fabbed something suitable for a few bucks using flat metal stock or PVC, etc.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

I've looked at tail bags, but most won't hold all that I need for commuting to work, which I do (weather permitting). Sounds like, to be safe, I need some sort of rack.

I'm a bit confused with regard to which racks are "universal" and which are specific to a system (for which I'd have to buy the bags), but I'll hit the Internet and figure it out.

Thanks for all of your advice. I'll post what I find for the next rider with the same question...
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 12:31 PM

Garage
This falls in the "make your own rack" approach, but I once tried using bungee cords hooked on passenger footrest up to the back the passenger handles. It provided a barrier to prevent my bags from going into tire. But as I mentioned as well, I was able to tighten them up so much that they didn't move and the Cortech sat high enough anyway.

Soft bags: Less expensive, but can wear out. Not damaged/dented if you go down, dust them off and get going. limited storage.

Hard bags: More expensive, but can be locked/secured. More weather resistant. Typically more storage room.

Everybody has different opinions and knows what works and what doesn't for how they ride/travel. Pick what works for you and your intentions. Hopefully that was specifically vague enough for you! :-)

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
This falls in the "make your own rack" approach, but I once tried using bungee cords hooked on passenger footrest up to the back the passenger handles. It provided a barrier to prevent my bags from going into tire. But as I mentioned as well, I was able to tighten them up so much that they didn't move and the Cortech sat high enough anyway.
Zip ties work very well for this. And particularly for a KLR, they add to the mystique.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Went ahead and took the plunge: bought Givi Monokey E22 cases and associated racks. Love them so far.
Fly-Sig likes this.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 09:33 AM

I'm with you... I've been running E21's since '09, they fit the profile of the bike, don't get in the way, and hold enough stuff to keep me happy. They aren't much more secure than soft bags (thin plastic), but they keep honest people honest...lol

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:58 AM

Garage
I enjoy the E22's as well. Perfect for what I need and they look pretty good with sticking out.

Image of mine attached just because!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171222_125856213_HDR.jpg (76.3 KB, 41 views)

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 11:33 AM

Garage
Those are nice looking bags flip22xx.

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
]
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

One of the things that I've wanted them for is work - hauling around big bags of files and books. They've been awesome. Will test them for hauling camping stuff (hopefully) next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode