Tire Repair Kit - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tire Repair Kit

Original thread https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...epair-kit.html

After realizing the joys of a flat on the road last week I figured it was time to arm myself with a flat fix kit.

After looking at several small 12 volt tire inflaters I decided on this neat little one made by Slime.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Tir...&wl13=&veh=sem

Then for a plug kit I went with another Slime device.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Del...3=2277&veh=sem

Small cash outlay for peace of mind. Especially when venturing far from civilization.
Devilsfan likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by onewizard; 12-09-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Damn. I have been carrying one around in a bicycle bag attached to my V-Strom crash bars for 7 years - and never used it. Do the worms dry out or perish?

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
thats the same pump and plug kit i carry both work just fine and have been used more then once

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I have this thing or fear of flats leaving me on the road and I have had too many in 50+ years over 500,000 miles- so I have tried them all(flat repair) and the only one that lasts is that one we call it sticky string-there are many kits that will get you home but that kit will go thousands of miles leak free and can not pop out-I also have that Slime compressor but now carry a bunch of CO2

Deep in Cajun Country

Last edited by motorboy; 03-25-2018 at 10:43 PM.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 06:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
Damn. I have been carrying one around in a bicycle bag attached to my V-Strom crash bars for 7 years - and never used it. Do the worms dry out or perish?
I keep mine in a zip-lock and believe that they are immortal.
Brockie likes this.

so it goes...
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 07:43 AM

I have the Stop and Go 6000 repair kit. It came with a hand held compressor pump. It was about $50 on Amazon Prime. Very compact kit, easy fit in saddle bag, might even fit under seat if you repackage in a zip lock bag. Check out Weljo posts, I think he has something that fits under his seat.

60% of the time, it works every time

Last edited by Lurch71; 03-26-2018 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have been carrying a bicycle pump up until now. They never fail, and don't rely on battery power. I now have an electrical pump to carry for primary use, but will still bring the manual pump as a backup when away from civilization.

The old fashioned sticky ropes have always worked well for me in car tires, and the ropes never seem to dry out over time. I carry a Dynaplug kit these days because the installation is a little simpler.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 09:09 AM

Garage
I have the same inflater and repair kit on my bike and in my cars. It takes forever to fill a tire from flat but it is better than nothing. I also keep one of these guys: https://www.walmart.com/ip/4-way-Tir...Tool/765379341 in all of my vehicles as well. They make deflating tires so much easier.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
...After looking at several small 12 volt tire inflaters I decided on this neat little one made by Slime.

Then for a plug kit I went with another Slime device.

Small cash outlay for peace of mind. Especially when venturing far from civilization.
I carry the same stuff as well as a tube of rubber cement to LIBERALLY cover the 'rope' before I push it in.

Quote:
I thing they do, which is why I carry the tube of rubber cement.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

I tested out the repair kit on my old tire with the nail hole it it. Man it was a bitch to shove the worm into the hole. I did not wet it down with the rubber cement as I did not want to open the tube. Thinking having the worm wet and "lubed" down with the cement may make it easier to shove in the hole.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I tested out the repair kit on my old tire with the nail hole it it. Man it was a bitch to shove the worm into the hole. I did not wet it down with the rubber cement as I did not want to open the tube. Thinking having the worm wet and "lubed" down with the cement may make it easier to shove in the hole.
I tried two tire repair kits when I last had a flat from a nail. I could not get the worm inside the hole with either kit including lubricating with glue and I did not want to make the hole any larger than 1/8 inch. For whatever reason they seem to work with car tires but not motorcycle tires, I assume because the belts are different. Another thought is the tire needs to be mostly inflated to install the worm which I did not try.

I also tried slime. It plugs the hole ok during inflation but does not hold air while the tire is rotating with a load on it.

My conclusion is the only way to successfully repair a flat from a nail on a motorcycle tire is to remove the tire and patch from the inside with a rubber patch and glue.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-26-2018 at 11:55 AM.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 10:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I tried two tire repair kits when I last had a flat from a nail. I could not get the worm inside the hole with either kit including lubricating with glue and I did not want to make the hole any larger than 1/8 inch. For whatever reason they seem to work with car tires but not motorcycle tires, I assume because the belts are different. Another thought is the tire needs to be mostly inflated to install the worm which I did not try.

I also tried slime. It plugs the hole ok during inflation but does not hold air while the tire is rotating with a load on it.

My conclusion is the only way to successfully repair a flat from a nail on a motorcycle tire is to remove the tire and patch from the inside with a rubber patch and glue.
Did you have the two piece kit that includes the rimer tool without riming the hole first I could see it would be very hard to insert the worm-also I have had inside patches fail twice
Brockie likes this.

Deep in Cajun Country
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 10:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
I have been carrying a bicycle pump up until now. They never fail, and don't rely on battery power. I now have an electrical pump to carry for primary use, but will still bring the manual pump as a backup when away from civilization.

The old fashioned sticky ropes have always worked well for me in car tires, and the ropes never seem to dry out over time. I carry a Dynaplug kit these days because the installation is a little simpler.
Depending on the size of the hole Dyna plugs can be very hard to insert -I put them in the if the hole is small they will get you home category-last one I tried failed after 100 miles-sticky string is still king-ha that rhymes

Deep in Cajun Country
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:35 PM

Garage
I bought the Dyna Plug tool because it looked very slick, compact and had pretty good reviews. But when I tried to use it (at home, thank goodness), I could not get it inserted into a steel belted scooter tire. It was just too hard to push that small handle with any significant force. I purchased the standard $4 tee handle 'auto' tool with the integrated reamer and the standard rubberized strings and this did the trick nicely. I also purchased the Slime 40001 inflator:

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-M...+tire+inflator

Last edited by KnobbyGuy; 03-26-2018 at 11:37 PM.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
THAT and having the tire at pressure, AND the hole 'reamed' w/ the other tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

I have repaired a hole w/ a "worm" and had the tire last quite awhile till it was replaced from wearing out.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
When I got my V650 I was looking at repair kits and what was compact.

I was going to go Plug and Go... nope!

Found this site... and thought give them a go!
No Lubing. Permanent repair!
https://www.nealeytirerepairkit.com/
Ordered 2 kits and shipped it to Australia!

I'm not convinced that the Plug and Go kits work well.
On our last trip a rider was left stranded for 4 hours waiting for a tow truck after he blew out 3 Stop and Go bullets and 2 Brown stings. They just could not plug his small puncture!
I was not with him to try the Nealy Tire Repair and if was I would have been first in line to plug it!

Here is my proof at what the Nealy Tire repair kit does.
there is about 3-4000km on that repair with some high speed riding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7782.jpg (40.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7788.jpg (98.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7798.jpg (33.8 KB, 68 views)
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by Gigitt; 03-29-2018 at 01:49 AM.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 06:37 PM

I also use the nealy tire repair kit because of not needing to lube and also will last for years of storage. I have always had good luck with the string plugs on my car tires and would last for the remaining tread life of the tires with no leaks.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 06:51 AM

I've traveled with either Stop 'n' Go, Dynaplug, or gummy worms over the years. Currently, I'm packing both Dynaplug and worms. Fortunately, I've only ever had to plug other riders' tires on the road, though I've done a couple on mine in the garage at home. I've also done a couple of test plugs on worn out tires. None guarantee success, but it seems worms cover the broadest range of punctures. Now I'll have to consider that Nealy kit, too. Thanks for that. :^)

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

I put together my flat fix kit so if I ever again end up stranded on the side of the road with a flat.... I won't find myself singing this old song.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 05:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
I recently had my first flat in 20 years a couple of months ago. I always carry tire repair kits. MY EXPERIENCE happened on a Sunday late in the afternoon in a small town 250 miles from home. Never leave home without a tire repair kit and air pump. They are worth their weight in gold when needed.

As to type, I use the gummy worms. They take up very little room and according to everyone I know who has had multiple flats, they work better than anything else out there for roadside tire repair.
Brockie likes this.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode