Inadvertant mini-wheelie - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Inadvertant mini-wheelie

First time my new to me 09 V pulled the front wheel without trying.
Was at a red light in the left lane of a double lane intersection.
Light turns green and someone in front of me is going like 15 miles an hour in a 55 mph zone. So, I check my 6 (After getting through the intersection) and I have room to pass on the right if I snap to it. Lay on the throttle in 2nd gear, and here comes the front end. Going from my KLR to this bike is like night and day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Ah.... I'm smiling from the memories.....

'course, I wouldn't refer to my accidental wheelies as 'mini'....

And 'accidental'? Yeah... we'll go with that...

Last edited by Bear on a bicycle; 09-26-2012 at 07:49 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:13 PM

hehe, fun ain't it!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 10:42 PM

I had a loooong inadvertent wheelie going into 2nd after a full throttle 1st gear a while back. She was up before I knew it... Not high, but UP. I felt her rise and just kept the throttle wide open and she settled down after 3 or 4 seconds before kicking her into 3rd... 'twas nice.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 01:02 AM
MTS

I wish I had a way to put the video on here but it was so funny! A dude was standing by his bike spinning in circles when it got away from him! At this point you only have two choices. Hang on or let go? LOL

He hung on and went across the parking lot slammed into a car and knocked himself out! It is so bad but so funny to watch. I've done it on a dirt bike screwwing around! I let go!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 08:07 AM

My first one on the V was with my 16yo daughter on the back with me. Scared the crap outta both of us!

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 10:06 AM

Pulled a huge wheelie first week on my V, Under estimated the bike and Romped on it to merge onto a main road from a stop sign. Scared the Bejeezus outta me. The front tire hasn't left the ground since.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 01:56 PM

Ha ha! The exact same thing happened to me! Double left-turn lane, the car in front of me was slow, I zipped over one lane (to the right) and twisted the throttle hard while I was still leaned over, halfway through the turn. It's quite an experience, lifting a wheel inadvertently while leaned over in heavy traffic. Good thing a cop didn't see -- $1,000 fine in Florida.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I used to be able to ..."wheelie-out-of-sight" when I raced dirt , my fuel-dragster-Triumph would start 'pulling' the front wheel going through the 'eyes' at the end of the quarter (north of a 'buck-twenty-five') back in the '60s , but I have NEVER wheelied a street bike ON PURPOSE.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 05:19 PM

wheelies are way more funner on the street than the dirt.

No Video

'09 Versys
'07 DRZ400SM
Past
'93 KX250
'82 IT175
'79 KE90
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigercj View Post
wheelies are way more funner on the street than the dirt....
My 'take' is that falling OFF when your wheelie goes bad is "way more funner on the dirt than the street"..., EVEN when you're ATGATT!

BTW - NICE wheelie!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 11:01 PM

Last time I did an accidental wheelie, **** hit the fan. Re-oriented to realize I had a totaled bike and was naked from the waste down, blood everywhere. Cost be over 5k out of pocket- sucks for a minimum wage, college-going youngster.

Live and learn lol.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 10:19 PM

I keep hearing about these unplanned wheelies and it bothers me that my Versys is no where near wheelying without a little clutch popping. Is it possible that a Versys purchased in Texas and brought to Denver would be down on power significantly? I figured since its fuel injected it would automatically adjust to the difference in altitude. Do I need to adjust something? I know it will be down in power a little at 5K+ feet but its definitely not going to wheelie (and I want it to). Ideas?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

I know I did not pop the clutch, may have decelarated a little as I came up on the slow mover, thats when I powered up, so that may have caused, dunno??
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 06:13 AM

@Story
The altitude change won't be the reason. Maybe it is rider weight, or more rear spring preload. Or you're not trying hard enough Go full throttle in first gear up to 9000, then quickly shift to second without closing the throttle and let the clutch close quickly. That's how I did my first inadvertant wheelie on the V. And the second one, which even worked while going downhill

I have never done it on purpose since it's rather dangerous.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
...Is it possible that a Versys purchased in Texas and brought to Denver would be down on power significantly? I figured since its fuel injected it would automatically adjust to the difference in altitude. Do I need to adjust something? I know it will be down in power a little at 5K+ feet but its definitely not going to wheelie (and I want it to). Ideas?
YES it will be down on power. The FI computor will adjust your mixture so you aren't overly rich as you will be with a carburetor'd ride from Texas, but the altitude reduces the oxygen = LESS power.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 04:07 PM

I know it will be down some here in the 5000-12,500 ft altitude that I ride in (I hear estimates in the 10-25% range which is significant when starting in the 60 hp range) but I wanted to be sure the FI would compensate as much as it can without any changes made by me. I realize this is not exactly on topic but having had the bike only a few months it has not had the guts I hoped for and, trust me, I am trying plenty hard enough. I think its a matter of switching back from sports bikes (recently CBR900). Beats the hell out of my old dual purpose Honda NX650 and XL250 so no complaints all things considered. Anyone had much luck withe fuel controlers (juice box, etc.) particularly at altitude?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 06:06 PM

Loss if power due to altitude is nonsense below 10k feet. Obeve tgat the loss is nominal at best. A wheelie in the V is easy getting off the line and on second.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode