• 1 Post By Duffy
  • 1 Post By Duffy
  • 1 Post By Lurch71

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
First Ride of 2018

2018 Test Ride #1 - Sunny and -3C yesterday with clear roads and a 7:30pm sunset. Perfect conditions for a first ride of 2018 A landscape still covered in a few feet of white snow could not stop me from getting the bike out for a first ride yesterday evening, after finishing all my winter maintenance projects on it.

A few observations:
  • On second thought, maybe -3C is still a bit cold for riding a motorcycle. Rode two kilometers before I realized that the condensation on the inside of the helmet visor made vision difficult. Had to ride home with visor open which nearly gave me frost bite - my nose and cheeks were it pain on the return trip. Will be resurrecting my old helmet with a dual pane visor. PinLock should be a mandatory feature in all new helmets.
  • Forks seem less harsh with a fluid change despite cold temperatures which theoretically should thicken fork oil viscosity. Who knew?
  • New Klim jacket, with a bring your own fleece under layer, kept me toasty warm at city speeds without my usual heated gear even though it was -3C. Starting to think heated grips + plus good gear + plus city riding makes heated gear superfluous, although nothing can come close to heated gear for a long, cold ride at highway speeds where heat loss from wind chill is more of an issue.
  • Turns out the clip I broke that holds on the gas line to the tank is important after all. Dripping gas also made me turn home after 2 kilometers.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-21-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I got my first ride in about a week ago.............temp said it was 67* but if it was 50* I was lucky. Got about 50 miles in........felt good.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I got my first ride in about a week ago.............temp said it was 67* but if it was 50* I was lucky. Got about 50 miles in........felt good.
The Black Hills is a great place to ride. Except in August.

so it goes...

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:27 AM

Sunny SoCal, ride all year 😝😆😂😝

60% of the time, it works every time
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 10:27 AM

Here in Central Cal able to ride most of the year except when it's raining like today. I'm a light weight...I don't do wet. Go swimming if you want to get wet...Lol.

Raining all this week but will be dry and close to 80 degrees next week.

Varooooooom!

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:04 AM

I've been to California many, many times and I'll take parking the bike for 5 months rather than live in that kind of environment, and I'm not talking about weather.
hawkerjet likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARIAH View Post
The Black Hills is a great place to ride. Except in August.
Yeah, it is. In August you have to dodge all the California bikers..............
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it is. In August you have to dodge all the California bikers..............
In Central Cal where I mostly ride the traffic is very light. Even on the week end out in the hills.

I avoid the city like the plague.

And you are right about the political environment. Sadly it's becoming more Communist every day, with taxes to the moon.

Hopefully the common folks will finally wake up and send all the liberal/progressive/communists, up in Sacramento, packing.

Cookin Wid Gas

Last edited by hawkerjet; 03-22-2018 at 01:12 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I BELIEVE that I got my "first" ride of 2018 'in' quite awhile ago....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:03 PM

TwoWheels said;

Turns out the clip I broke that holds on the gas line to the tank is important after all.

Who would have thunk it. It has been said many times before, and I'll say it again. When removing the gas tank, be careful not to break the gas line clip. I say be careful not to break the gas line clip.

You would be surprised at how many people have broken the gas line clip. It's easy to do.

Anyway I'm glad you got in a ride even if it was cut short because of a broken gas line clip.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I've been to California many, many times and I'll take parking the bike for 5 months rather than live in that kind of environment, and I'm not talking about weather.
Yeah sure, park your bike for 5 months. If your talking traffic, all it takes is 30 minutes and your out of the city and not everyone lives where thereís traffic. Rode 250 miles this past Sunday. About 30 m8nutes was freeway, the rest was two lane highway cruising through wine country in Temecula. If I lived in a place where I had to put my bike away for 5 months, I would pick another hobby.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch71 View Post
Yeah sure, park your bike for 5 months. If your talking traffic, all it takes is 30 minutes and your out of the city and not everyone lives where thereís traffic. Rode 250 miles this past Sunday. About 30 m8nutes was freeway, the rest was two lane highway cruising through wine country in Temecula. If I lived in a place where I had to put my bike away for 5 months, I would pick another hobby.
Love the Temecula area. Almost bought a house there to retire but we missed the bottom of the market by about a year and a half and could not afford to.

Ended up back in Fresno.

But of course Fresno is a gateway to the Sierra's. Lots of great roads and destinations to choose from.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 10:38 AM

If I were worried about riding all year round I would have stayed in Western Washington but it's becoming too much like California also. The whole left coast is becoming uninhabitable.

Now if weather were all that important I would be doing the snow bird thing and living in southern Arizona five months out of the year like FastEddie.
hawkerjet likes this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Love the Temecula area. Almost bought a house there to retire but we missed the bottom of the market by about a year and a half and could not afford to.

Ended up back in Fresno.

But of course Fresno is a gateway to the Sierra's. Lots of great roads and destinations to choose from.
Lot a good riding out in the Temecula area. You can head out to Julian, down to San Diego or head into the mountains. Itís a great getaway from city traffic.
hawkerjet likes this.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
If I were worried about riding all year round I would have stayed in Western Washington but it's becoming too much like California also. The whole left coast is becoming uninhabitable.

Now if weather were all that important I would be doing the snow bird thing and living in southern Arizona five months out of the year like FastEddie.
I hear ya, Iím retiring in about 7-8 years and I plan on leaving the state.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode