Crazy-bright LED turn signal bulb replacement (only $17 a pair) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Crazy-bright LED turn signal bulb replacement (only $17 a pair)

(Regarding '15 Versys 650...)

I ordered *THIS* pair of LED bulbs for my turn signals. Only $16.99 for the pair from Amazon with free shipping. Shown below along side a stock bulb for comparison.

Just arrived and man am I pleased. I'd say they're twice as bright as the stock bulbs. And, with them in the rear (stock bulbs in the front) I get no hyper flash rate. Blink rate is completely normal. However, when I put the two bulbs on one side, that side blinks too fast.

Since I plan on ordering another pair for the front I'm going to install the flasher relay in the photo. It came from Superbrightleds.com (found *HERE*) and cost only $12.90 with shipping. It gets great reviews, should be plug & play, and will keep a consistent flash rate (specs say 90/min) when using all 4 LED bulbs.

Highly recommend these bulbs!! Very, very bright.

Edit: Just installed the flasher relay and it is indeed plug & play and works beautifully with all 4 LED bulbs installed.

Last edited by brock29609; 03-25-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 03:36 PM

nice, but up north it shows CDN$ 63.01 :O

Versys 2015 Green
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 11:18 PM

This looks like a better design than many other bulbs out there with all the small LED's. My only concern would be heat dissipation affecting the life of the LED's and of course reflector utilization.

Do a test, try looking at the brightness from at least 50 ft away side by side with the emergency flashers on, like if you were at an intersection. They might still be brighter, but head on there is the "bulb" blocking the light that would normally be reflected through the glass bulb on the incandescent one. All LED bulbs look brighter than their incandescent counterpart up close, further away and they are typically worse (except for the excellent design of the Phillips Vision bulbs). The thing is, the people that need to see the signals are a ways away from you.
unstable_rider likes this.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr14 View Post
All LED bulbs look brighter than their incandescent counterpart up close, further away and they are typically worse.
In all my years of tinkering with LEDs on many bikes, I've never experienced a phenomenon like this.

These are way brighter from any distance. The side-facing LEDs hit the reflector and fill out the lens so the light spread is very wide.

Quote:
They might still be brighter, but head on there is the "bulb" blocking the light that would normally be reflected through the glass bulb on the incandescent one.
The head of the bulb has 3 large LEDs under a curved lens. It's producing light, not blocking it (see product photos in link).

Quote:
My only concern would be heat dissipation affecting the life of the LED's and of course reflector utilization.
Huh? Super-low heat is an advantage of LEDs. Plus, these are flashing bulbs. Even if they did produce significant heat, they're not steady-on long enough to build any up. This isn't an issue.
crosshairs likes this.

Last edited by brock29609; 03-21-2018 at 08:32 AM.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

I think the difference to the naked eye is actually more dramatic than these shows. LED bulb installed on right side of photo (left side of bike). See the glow on the garage door from these LEDs in the rear?

Brief video...
16VGTIDave and NightRider like this.

Last edited by brock29609; 03-22-2018 at 08:26 PM.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
In all my years of tinkering with LEDs on many bikes, I've never experienced a phenomenon like this.

These are way brighter from any distance. The side-facing LEDs hit the reflector and fill out the lens so the light spread is very wide.

The head of the bulb has 3 large LEDs under a curved lens. It's producing light, not blocking it (see product photos in link).

Huh? Super-low heat is an advantage of LEDs. Plus, these are flashing bulbs. Even if they did produce significant heat, they're not steady-on long enough to build any up. This isn't an issue.
The aimed reflection is what makes an incandescent signaling bulb bright at a distance. If you spray paint the reflector white, it will be very hard to see the signal. The reflector takes the light that is fired backward at it and focuses it directly forward. My concern is this bulb isn't firing light directly backward into the reflector like the incandescent does.

The forward firing LED is a common feature of these bulbs that usually is a fail. The lens is usually cheap plastic without useful optical properties.

Super low heat is an advantage, but when so many are crammed onto a stick without thermal management, LED heat up and their output decreases significantly. That heat also causes premature failure of the diodes. That is why we (I) have never seen an OEM use an LED bulb, thermal management is much easier when the whole assembly is designed to handle the thermal load. I'd normally not worry about it for a turn signal, but it's concerning to me because it doesn't induce hyperblink, which means it's pulling a lot of current. I've documented poor thermal management on these types of bulbs before. I know I sound anal, but I find being able to communicate with drivers around me is critical, especially on a motorcycle.

Anyhow, I've ordered a pair to see how they preform since you seem to have had good results. I'll post my experience here this week.
Metalmad likes this.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 08:44 AM

I have tried 3 different LED turn signal bulbs and while they looked ok to me up close, riders behind me said they could barely see my turn signals. I replaced them with standard bulbs.

Looking forward to Nayr14 review. I would like brighter turn signal bulbs and hoping these are the answer.
unstable_rider and Devilsfan like this.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
I would like brighter turn signal bulbs and hoping these are the answer.
Trust me, these are much brighter from any distance, any angle.

Side note. Looking up something called The Audicator. Great little programmable turn signal reminder device. I have mine set to starts beeping after 18 flashes if no braking.

Last edited by brock29609; 03-25-2018 at 10:00 AM.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
My concern is this bulb isn't firing light directly backward into the reflector like the incandescent does.
The bulb hits the reflector beautifully. The reflector is curved, the bulbs sit very low in the socket and all those side-firing LEDs have a wide spread.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
Trust me, these are much brighter from any distance, any angle.

Side note. Looking up something called The Audicator. Great little programmable turn signal reminder device. I have mine set to starts beeping after 18 flashes if no braking.
I use the signal minder auto cancel, it also uses the rear turn signals as modulating brake lights. This provide much more visibility to those behind me that I have the brakes on. You need red lens on the turn signals if they are used for brake light as well. Used some testor translucent red paint on the inside of the clear lens to make them red.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:38 PM

Garage
The auto parts store carry LEDs for turn signals, don't waste your money.
Not enough chips or bright enough, the incandescents work better.

You have to up the chip/brightness counts to have an effect. Heck,
I put a 45 chip LED in turn signals on one of my scooters. It reflected
everywhere .... lol

The fast blink rate needs to be fixed, its the blinker , they (old) use the wattage
to control the blink rate and the LEDs draw much less power.

2017 Versys 300 ABS, the fastest one ... green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
5,000 + miles, 90% hard surface riding.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 06:44 PM

Garage
Very nice, thanks for the pic and the video.

How do you like the windshield and what kind is is?

Love the Kawasaki Green!!!

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 07:26 PM

These came today so I threw them in for a test run. The results are good, as brock said. Close up they are crazy bright, and from a distance they are slightly brighter than the incandescent, so it is utilizing the reflector well enough.

Build quality seems to be good, they didn't want to twist apart. It could do without the forward firing LED's though. If this was a brake bulb I'd say no way, it's going to overheat, output will drop and will prematurely fail. However, this bulb only acts as a turn signal, not a side marker bulb, and it's on a flexible mount. I will be replacing my bulbs with these, however I'll keep my incandescents under the pillion seat.

I forgot to take my quick exposure shots to get a better picture of the brightness, I might post this week with some pictures at lower exposure. The picture below is dead on, I couldn't test other angles because it was raining, but from what I saw up close the other angles should be at least as good as the incandescent.

This is from ~60ft away at 1/40s exposure at 220mm. Left is incandescent and right is the LED.

onewizard, Fastoman, Turk and 4 others like this.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 08:01 PM

Unfortunately incandescent is still brighter in most applications. Use a unit built for LED and it just may be brighter.

@nayr14, nice retrofit on that Versys. I'm currently retroing my VFR and R6 .
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyversystheworld View Post
How do you like the windshield and what kind is is?
It's the VStream from National Cycle. The middle-sized one (#N20116)

I really like it a lot. Less wind noise at the head, but it lets enough cooling air to sneak around and hit the body. Often times quiet comes with hot, but not this one. That's important here in the south.

Details *HERE*
andyversystheworld likes this.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
Unfortunately incandescent is still brighter in most applications. Use a unit built for LED and it just may be brighter.

@nayr14, nice retrofit on that Versys. I'm currently retroing my VFR and R6 .
Thanks! I just finished it.

I'd definitely go with built-in LED turn signal, but many of those are also cheap. The only good ones I've seen around are OEM implementations, but I'm sure there are some good ones floating around.

The bulbs actually do a decent job. I'm going to try to get more pictures and test more angles later though.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 08:20 PM

Can't really compare it to something like this: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...4aAu45EALw_wcB

LED units built for it are amazing. My Merc has ridiculous turn signals that light up buildings, haha. Custom LED arrays.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
Can't really compare it to something like this: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...4aAu45EALw_wcB

LED units built for it are amazing. My Merc has ridiculous turn signals that light up buildings, haha. Custom LED arrays.
I agree, those should be more reliable.

Since the turn signal reflector is so shallow, the bulbs listed utilize the reflector pretty well, a lot better than I expected. They wouldn't work well in a car though.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 05:34 PM

Garage
Thanks so much for the excellent post. I really appreciate the pictures and the video you took time to upload. I have thought of LED lights but did not do it because of these issues you and others bring up. Again, great job and much appreciated. I will look forward to any other "findings" as they come along. Best!

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 09:00 PM

I bought a pair of the LEDs noted in the original post. Installed them on the rear and they are definitely brighter than the original stock bulbs even at a distance. Curious to see how long they last as they are used with signal minder and operate as low brightness running lights and as turn signal and brake lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode