Stupid Nail - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 9Likes
  • 3 Post By silviefox
  • 2 Post By cjcintucson
  • 4 Post By Doug Just Doug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Stupid Nail

Heading over to a buddy's for a ride yesterday. He lives out in the rolling hills, about 11 miles from my house.

It's real nice twisty road most of the way. Was cruising around 70 mph. Turned off the main road onto his road and had gone about a quarter mile when suddenly I felt the back end squirming around. Fortunately I was only going about 30 at this time. Stopped to look at the back tire to see that it was indeed flat.

I was amazed how fast it went flat. Thank God it did not go down at 70 mph. Could have been an ugly batter.

Spent the next 20 minutes trying to slowly ride it to his place which was about 1 mile but had some up and down rolling hills to negotiate.

We loaded the bike on his trailer and took it home.

At least it was not a new tire. It only had around 600 to 800 miles of tread left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6125.jpg (85.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6126.jpg (59.0 KB, 52 views)

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 11:35 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
thats why i have a plug kit under my seat... its been used a few times already (twice on my bike and once on a car on the side of the road) as long as it isnt in the side wall you can plug it and ride on (after adding more air)
turn8a, weljo2001 and Devilsfan like this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 03:12 PM

20 years of riding...never once a flat. Until the last 2 years. 2 cycle tires, both with less than a few thousand miles on them, and one car tire...all nails! The last time a few months ago, as soon as I pulled out of school...BOOM! a 2" went right in. Plugged it and was able to make it home just fine.

Learned quickly to ALWAYS take my air pump and plug kit with me.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
20 years of riding...never once a flat. Until the last 2 years. 2 cycle tires, both with less than a few thousand miles on them, and one car tire...all nails! The last time a few months ago, as soon as I pulled out of school...BOOM! a 2" went right in. Plugged it and was able to make it home just fine.

Learned quickly to ALWAYS take my air pump and plug kit with me.
+1 to what Devilsfan said. Never leave home without plug kit and air pump. I also carry a siphon tube and one of those Li-Ion battery boosters for like the time I left my ignition on at a restaurant. Stupid is as old age does.
silviefox and Devilsfan like this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

This was my first flat too. And after 50+ years of riding both dirt and street.

Plug kit and pump is not a bad idea.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 10:20 AM

Oh yeah, I feel the stupid nail pain. Last year - or it may have been a few years ago - I was putting some miles on my wife's new Honda CTX700 so we could get the first service out of the way. I was cruising the back roads when I began to think we had bought a lemon. The bike seemed unwilling to turn left although it didn't mind turning right. It confused and bothered me until I realized the virtually brand new, and huge, rear tire had been impaled by an enormous nail near the sidewall/tread demarcation line.

Eventually managed to get the local Honda dealer to come get it and then gritted my teeth when we had to replace the tire. Oh no sir, it's not repairable. The good news is that we managed to get almost 300 miles out of the OEM rear tire! Oh wait, that's not good news at all is it?! Stupid nail!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 03-22-2018 at 09:16 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 10:42 AM

I, too, always carry a plug kit and air, but sometimes you just get lucky:

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 10:25 PM

Garage
As others have said, be prepared. I carry an electric air pump made by SLIME, and a tire repair kit (gummy worm type) in my GIVI tank bag. I had my 2nd flat ever this year so all those years of carrying a kit paid off. Had I not had it, I would have been SOL. It was a Sunday, the sun was close to going down, and I was 250 miles from home in a small town. Here's my tale of woe that I posted elsewhere:

Stopped at a Shell station in Cameron. When I came out, I decided to clean my glasses. While doing so, my six year old frames broke and were no longer wearable. Luckily I had a spare set in the tank bag.

Thought all was well and went to leave but something about the bike didn’t feel right. Sure enough, I had a big nail dead center. Just fixed it and aired it up and heading for home. Hope that’s the last of the surprises."

"The offending glasses. No amount of tape was going to put this humpty dumpty back together again. Really glad I was carrying a spare set:"

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode