• 6 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Jack of Heats JoH
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
New Chain and Sprockets

Just installed a new DID gold chain and OEM sprockets on the trusty V-650.

The "old" chain was starting to make a lot of noise, especially on deceleration.

"Old" because it really was not that old. I bought the bike last summer with 11k miles on it. The previous owner, who bought the bike new, had replaced the original chain with another OEM DID chain at 10300 miles but did not replace the sprockets. Now the bike has 16800 miles on it. So the replaced chain lasted a whopping 6500 miles.

And yes he did lube the chain. I saw all the evidence when I removed the front sprocket side cover. The area had plenty of chain lube build up around the sprocket area.

This is a good illustration of why one should always replace the chain and sprockets as a set. A new quality chain, properly cared for, should go at least 15k miles or perhaps more on our fairly low powered 650cc machine.

Just got back from a short test hop and all is quiet once again in the chain department.

Cost for the job:

Chain DID Gold VX2 $86.95
Riveted Master Link $5.99 Both from Rocky Mountain ATV. I buy all my tires from them too. Best prices on the web and quick delivery.

OEM sprocket set: $ 68.13 From Partzilla.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6110.jpg (63.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6111.jpg (85.3 KB, 46 views)

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 03-16-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Chain DID Gold VX2 $86.95
Riveted Master Link $5.99 Both from Rocky Mountain ATV. I buy all my tires from them too. Best prices on the web and quick delivery.

Sprocket set: $ 68.13 From Partzilla.
Jeeze your bike is CLEAN, hawkerjet. You following in "weljo's" shoes...?

dddd likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Jeeze your bike is CLEAN, hawkerjet. You following in "weljo's" shoes...?

Yea I am kinda of anal when it comes to keeping my machines clean. Plus having lots of time on my hands being "retired," I enjoy rubbing on the bike to help alleviate boredom.

U still hanging in Zona?

If it was not so far I would cruise over and join you for a ride. I absolutely love winter weather in Zona.

Used to fly the boss to Scottsdale a fair amount. Would love to own a house there to hang in the winter time but...can't $$$$$$$$$$$.

Ride safe.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 07:15 AM

I would only change the rear sprocket every 4 chains (I never had to yet, given the turnover of my bikes).

My longest rear sprocket had over 100 000 km when I sold the bike and didn't even look worn at all.
I wouldn't be surprised if it could last 6 chains.

It's just not a powerful enough bike to wear the rear sprocket, unless you do lot of dirt, but then you also wear the chain and front sprocket. So it's probably still 1 rear for 4 front+chain.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I would only change the rear sprocket every 4 chains (I never had to yet, given the turnover of my bikes).

My longest rear sprocket had over 100 000 km when I sold the bike and didn't even look worn at all.
I wouldn't be surprised if it could last 6 chains.

It's just not a powerful enough bike to wear the rear sprocket, unless you do lot of dirt, but then you also wear the chain and front sprocket. So it's probably still 1 rear for 4 front+chain.
My sprockets had 16800 miles on them. The front was clearly worn with teeth leaning over and cupped out on one side.

On first glance the rear looked great until closer inspection.

If I would have looked at the old sprocket just by itself I would have concluded it was in excellent shape, but after putting the new one next to it I was surprised to see the amount of wear it actually had.

The front sprocket obviously is the one that wears the fastest since it has a much smaller diameter and many fewer teeth to shoulder the load.

It would be nice if the Versys had a shaft drive and we could all forget about chain lube, adjustment, and then replacement.

Perhaps in a perfect world.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
It would be nice if the Versys had a shaft drive and we could all forget about chain lube, adjustment, and then replacement.
oh no. it would need another 300cc just to pull the extra weight...
fyi, sfat have maintenance too (oil change).

I definitely prefer chains to belt or shaft. way cheaper, simpler, and mainly lighter.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
oh no. it would need another 300cc just to pull the extra weight...
fyi, sfat have maintenance too (oil change).

I definitely prefer chains to belt or shaft. way cheaper, simpler, and mainly lighter.
I hear ya.

Actually belts are kinda cool and quiet but you don't see many out there.

I got spoiled with the shaft on my Connie 14. Unlike many shaft drive bikes of the past that would get "Shaft jacking" causing the rear suspension to extend on application of throttle, the Connie handled just like it's chain drive brethren.

Our little V-650 does not have the power of the Connie's 1400cc four so a chain will have to do.

Cookin Wid Gas

Last edited by hawkerjet; 03-17-2018 at 09:40 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I hear ya.

Actually belts are kinda cool and quiet but you don't see many out there.
Lot’s of cruisers use them. Light weight, quiet maintenance free. Slightly less power transfer than a chain but not much. The downside is they are only good for paved roads. Gravel or sticks can get caught between the pulley and belt and damage the belt which is a big $ part. I loved the belt drive on my cruiser because there was nothing to do!
hawkerjet likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Yea I am kinda of anal when it comes to keeping my machines clean. Plus having lots of time on my hands being "retired," I enjoy rubbing on the bike to help alleviate boredom....
Use the "time-on-your-hands" to go riding! That's what I'm doing (retired 15 years ago).

Quote:
...U still hanging in Zona?...
Yup till 05 April anyway, until NEXT season.

Quote:
...If it was not so far I would cruise over and join you for a ride. I absolutely love winter weather in Zona....
AIN'T that far....

Quote:
...Would love to own a house there to hang in the winter time but...can't $$$$$$$$$$$....
First home here was a used "park-model" in an RV park - co$t $25,000 plus about $4,000/year lot rent (and I resold it for the SAME $ when we bought our house!).

And I KNOW that you can still buy houses fairly cheaply (EXTREMELY cheaply if you compare them to Californy...)!

hawkerjet likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode