Gen2 - Windshield - stock/givi/zero gravity?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By PHX_Joe
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By AlaskaJeff
  • 1 Post By Eviltwin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Gen2 - Windshield - stock/givi/zero gravity??

Hey Everybody,

I've been reading a ton of pages about this, but i read alot of contrary answers.
I've got the versys gen 2. Hell of a bike and easy handeling! But the stock screen was unbearable, alot of buffeting and wind noise. Really hated making long runs on the bike as it was a fight at higer speeds sitting on it.

Ordered a MRA touring vario screen. That was a waste of money because the buffeting was still there..
Tried all the positions for the vario screen and the main screen with the adjustable holes on the bike. No difference.

What did work was making a riser bracket plus tilting the screen backward. Buffeting is gone...... and riding the bike is a real pleasure now but it looks like s***
Now i'm not a millionare and trying all screens for around a 120$ a piece is quite a expensive test.. so maybe some owners of the screens can help me.

I see alot of people talking about the Givi D410ST and Zero gravity sport touring screen. These are way higher
The difference between those screens and the smaller mra touring (30cm / 11'' ) is 18 cm. / 7''.

I'm 5'11'' or 6'005'' (1.83m)
Would it help to go with the higher screens (and not get the buffeting back.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test.jpg (42.0 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg test2.jpg (40.1 KB, 125 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 08:54 PM

I've got the Givi, and 5' 10" and wear a helmet with peak, so somewhat sensitive to buffeting. Very happy with the Givi, in general, but it can depend on your riding style (sitting straight up vs hunched over), I'm hunched, and it's fine. When I stretch out and sit back-straight upright, there's more buffeting but that may just be the peak. Shoei hornet x2.

Went over the handlebars last weekend, straight through the windshield - which obliterated it - rode home with no windshield and there was almost no buffeting. So my new found thought is that you either have to sculpt the wind just over the helmet or well below it. Others may have better understanding of it. I run a stock screen in the summer for the added airflow, and there is a lot of buffeting at highway speed. If I had any sense, I would take off the peak and try that.....

Good luck!
Eviltwin likes this.

Ride more, bitch less - secret to good life!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 07:04 AM

Try this video to give you an idea. There's a lot of YouTube videos on how to measure. I also believe your helmet and riding position are huge factors to consider.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX_Joe View Post
...Went over the handlebars last weekend, straight through the windshield....
Joe - the fact you wrote this indicates that you weren't seriously hurt!

-
PHX_Joe likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 10:56 PM

Nah, just the windshield and my pride.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 03:29 AM

I have a gen2 with a Givi tall screen, but its not that tall I still look over it, I also have hand guards with deflectors I'm 6'2' and ride with my visor up and get absolutely no buffeting, I don't even get very wet in the rain. Ive seen the odd fly flying around in the vacuum between me and the screen.I think a combination of luck and different positions, trial and error before you get the sweet spot.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 07:05 AM

I am 6’1”, Gen2 bike came with Givi screen not sure model but it is 19 1/2” long. No buffeting. I get some wind noise but don’t have anything to compare it too certainly no worse than a naked bike.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:32 PM

Anybody got a Givi D410ST available?

In light of my recent involuntary windshield removal, thought I would ask if any of you have a Givi D410St (gen 2)that you don't want and might sell? They're $114 at most US retailers. TIA.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 01:12 PM

Garage
I don't have a GIVI but I have a PUIG touring windscreen for sale...
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...10-2014-a.html

chadams66 likes this.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 01:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormingsoul View Post
Hey Everybody,

I've been reading a ton of pages about this, but i read alot of contrary answers.
I've got the versys gen 2. Hell of a bike and easy handeling! But the stock screen was unbearable, alot of buffeting and wind noise. Really hated making long runs on the bike as it was a fight at higer speeds sitting on it.

Ordered a MRA touring vario screen. That was a waste of money because the buffeting was still there..
Tried all the positions for the vario screen and the main screen with the adjustable holes on the bike. No difference.

What did work was making a riser bracket plus tilting the screen backward. Buffeting is gone...... and riding the bike is a real pleasure now but it looks like s***
Now i'm not a millionare and trying all screens for around a 120$ a piece is quite a expensive test.. so maybe some owners of the screens can help me.

I see alot of people talking about the Givi D410ST and Zero gravity sport touring screen. These are way higher
The difference between those screens and the smaller mra touring (30cm / 11'' ) is 18 cm. / 7''.

I'm 5'11'' or 6'005'' (1.83m)
Would it help to go with the higher screens (and not get the buffeting back.)
The D410ST keeps more cold air off me than the stock windscreen but the wind noise is still there. No helmet buffeting though. The only thing that will make the wind noise decrease noticeably though is no windshield and I don't like the wind blast to the chest that comes with this.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the reply's!

I'll go with the GIVI screen after seeying your reactions.
Already have earplugs so the windnoise isn't a problem for me (anymore)..
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 09:31 AM

I have the MRA touring screen and really like it. Gets rid of 90% of the buffeting at the middle position. The reason I am posting this is because my screen looks way different than the one in your pictures. Click on my link and check out the pics of my screen.

Just a side note. I put the stock screen back on the other day to see the difference and was amazed how bad the stocker is. Talk about buffeting and noise. It reminded my just how effective the MRA touring screen really is.

Hope you find the solution to your windscreen search.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...indscreen.html

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 07:51 AM
jpd

Garage
Hawker jet your screen is on a gen 3 he is asking about a gen 2 bike. The options for the gen 2 are very limited. I am still just using the stock and have tried all of the positions and went back to the lowest.

Jeff

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Hawker jet your screen is on a gen 3 he is asking about a gen 2 bike. The options for the gen 2 are very limited. I am still just using the stock and have tried all of the positions and went back to the lowest.
Nuts I see that now. Guess I need to learn how to read...Lol.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 09:49 AM

Garage
I went with the Givi as it's a much taller screen, I'm 6'1 and inseam of 32, even at the highest position I still get buffeting. I think if Kawasaki designed the front headlight fairing about 5 inch higher it would make any aftermarket screen work. One thing to take into consideration is if ever go off-road or dirt. You may want to use the versys windshield as the aftermarket can act like a guillotine. If you fly over the bike you don't want the large screen to do more damage than it has to.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX_Joe View Post
I've got the Givi, and 5' 10" and wear a helmet with peak, so somewhat sensitive to buffeting. Very happy with the Givi, in general, but it can depend on your riding style (sitting straight up vs hunched over), I'm hunched, and it's fine. When I stretch out and sit back-straight upright, there's more buffeting but that may just be the peak. Shoei hornet x2.

Went over the handlebars last weekend, straight through the windshield - which obliterated it - rode home with no windshield and there was almost no buffeting. So my new found thought is that you either have to sculpt the wind just over the helmet or well below it. Others may have better understanding of it. I run a stock screen in the summer for the added airflow, and there is a lot of buffeting at highway speed. If I had any sense, I would take off the peak and try that.....

Good luck!
Eerily similar experience to this guy. Had the Givi in combo with a DS helmet, and very comfortable at highway speeds, also 5'10", plus I can hunch down on the tank to completely hide from the wind if I want. Loved that windshield. Layed the bike down last Thursday when a car made a turn in front of me, broke the windshield off, rode home without one and honestly it was fine except for a slight lift from the helmet peak.

Long story long, the Givi is a great windshield.
PHX_Joe likes this.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
I don't have a GIVI but I have a PUIG touring windscreen for sale...
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...10-2014-a.html

I've been rocking one of these since I got the bike...I love it..it looks weird...I eliminated all buffering of my head with it...busted one and got another...
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 07:36 PM

Garage
I just got the MRA Touring Screen with the wing on top, the Varo Touring Screen (or something like that!). Had my first ride today, as it is just 40 degrees finally in Il. Really nice, and is a keeper for me. NO buffeting for me and wind is nicely over my helmet. Your results may vary...

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode