Does the Great Braking power make you want to buy two? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does the Great Braking power make you want to buy two?

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I just now returned from a spirited ride. I was decelerating using engine braking, closing distance with the car ahead of me and had just downshifted to 4th when the driver ahead nailed his brakes hard. I used maximum front brake to avoid a visit through his rear window. I heard a few chirps from my front tire and managed to stop well short of his vehicle. I certainly didn't feel a need for more braking power. No complaints from me about the V's anchor.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:03 PM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
I just now returned from a spirited ride. I was decelerating using engine braking, closing distance with the car ahead of me and had just downshifted to 4th when the driver ahead nailed his brakes hard. I used maximum front brake to avoid a visit through his rear window. I heard a few chirps from my front tire and managed to stop well short of his vehicle. I certainly didn't feel a need for more braking power. No complaints from me about the V's anchor.
Just a matter of curiosity, when I was riding with you, would you say any of that ride was spirited?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Just a matter of curiosity, when I was riding with you, would you say any of that ride was spirited?
Well, parts of the ride were, mainly the twisty bits. Straight line speed is a bore, I speed up for the curves.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Yea, that's what I thought, so you were a moving-------------------I remember reading that the new ER6 pads are more aggressive and fit the Versys.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Yea, that's what I thought, so you were a moving-------------------I remember reading that the new ER6 pads are more aggressive and fit the Versys.
The brakes on my old ER6 felt a little more aggressive, though they could be about the same.

I've ridden bikes with stronger braking, but the Versys doesn't seem bad to me.

I swapped bikes with a friend recently and his biggest issue with the Versys was adapting to the powerful (compared to his bike) brakes. My issue with his bike was kick starting it quickly the couple of times I stalled it...
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 08:52 AM

I think one thing that catches a lot of people out on the Versys is the same on the KLR. LONG travel suspension. They grab a big handful of brakes and the bike does a nose stand and they let go of the brakes thinking they're getting ready to go over the bars because of the brake dive and then grab a handful because they think they're going to hit something...repeat over and over until that's how they ride. Ask any teacher, it's a lot harder to "unlearn" a bad habit and relearn than to learn from scratch.

Of course a lot of us are use to ABS. But that my Versys lacks. I'd paid more for it on the "V" but glad it wasn't on the KLR.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 11:20 AM

Although Ive never been disappointed with the V brakes (I still haven't hit anything..)

They are much softer than most other bikes.

My old ZX6 brakes bit very very hard...and they were from 2000.

I am surprised how soft they are for being twin disc though.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:02 PM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 04:06 PM

Mine could put me over the bars if I really grabbed them. Never understood the comments on braking power. No problems for me.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 06:26 PM

My front brakes are plenty strong, can't image why I would need any more.
The rear brake takes a little more effort pushing than it should, but it works OK.
I have no problem with the Versys brakes.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2007 Honda XR 650L
2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 750
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I think people who complain about the Versys brakes are really noticing the front fork dive on hard braking and not bad brakes. This is a unique phenomenon to all bikes with long suspension travel. IMO the Versys brakes are not the same caliber as 4 piston Bremos but are comparatively excellent in this price/class.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 09:16 AM

I reported on another brake-power thread that I was having ever increasing problems on my 09 V. I eventually discovered that even though my brake pads had plenty of material left, they were scored (like you'd expect) but the grooves were full of oily dirt that I could not easily remove. I replaced all three sets with new from D2Moto for $50, and my brakes are now like new. Even the rear brake is good.

I eliminated the front-fork "dive" some time ago by replacing the fork springs with HyperPro progressive springs. Made a huge difference, and improved the ride.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
I reported on another brake-power thread that I was having ever increasing problems on my 09 V. I eventually discovered that even though my brake pads had plenty of material left, they were scored (like you'd expect) but the grooves were full of oily dirt that I could not easily remove. I replaced all three sets with new from D2Moto for $50, and my brakes are now like new. Even the rear brake is good.

I eliminated the front-fork "dive" some time ago by replacing the fork springs with HyperPro progressive springs. Made a huge difference, and improved the ride.
The pads on both my Buell and KLR needed replacing after a couple of years due to contamination from road grime.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Sounds awesome Smiley. I agree, no complaints... maybe those people complaining don't know how to brake? maybe they need braking lessons?

I teach the MSF ERC, I demo the classes on my V. I have to practice Emergency Braking, regularly, it's my job.

My V will stop in a heartbeat. Stock brakes, tires, pads, etc etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I think people who complain about the Versys brakes are really noticing the front fork dive on hard braking and not bad brakes. This is a unique phenomenon to all bikes with long suspension travel. IMO the Versys brakes are not the same caliber as 4 piston Bremos but are comparatively excellent in this price/class.
On the contrary. The versys dives, no matter on stock or upgraded brakes. Makes no difference. But one thing i know for sure, i stopped much more confidently , easily and with alot shorter distance after the upgrade works i've done. I say it was all worth it and love how much better it has become.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 05:54 PM

The brakes are fine for emergency brakes, but if you want to brake hard at JUST the right moment in front of every corner, you'd appreciate a more predictable response/feeling, and less lever travel until force builds up. At least with pre-2009/2010 models. That's what I feel, and my other bikes perform better at this. For a less racy rider, they shoudl still be fine.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 06:01 PM

The OEM pads on mine are HH sintered compound, same as on my Ducati. I can chirp the front wheel using two fingers on the lever. True, they feel "soft", but I think that's due to the size master cylinder that comes on the bike. I don't mind this, because it makes it easier to modulate the brake in less than ideal traction conditions. The Ducati, on the other hand, is almost all or nothing. It bites hard.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 09:15 PM

ttpete: are you using the oem calipers too?
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 02:59 AM

The brakes are certainly powerful enough, if I had a complaint it would be that they don't offer much feedback before they get grabby. Coming from my linked brakes on my 01 VFR, I locked up the front of the Versys with the same amount of lever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode