• 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 2 Post By sharkynrk
  • 1 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Brake Pad Choices?

So I was looking at my brakes the other night and they appear to be getting close to replacement time. Rear feels a bit mushier than I'd like as well, but for now the front stops plenty good enough for me.

So far I've found about four different pads suggested in different places, and was wondering which ones would be best to go with for commuting and street use:
  • Galfer HH Sintered Brake Pads
  • EBC HH Brake Pads
  • Ferodo Sintered ST Brake Pads
  • Vesrah Sintered Metal Brake Pad

I'm planning to replace both fronts and rear at the same time, as well as doing brake fluid. Rotors and lines would stay stock for now.

Most comparisons I can find are just upgraded pads vs. stock pads, and each set seems to have their own ups and downs, though the EBC and Vesrah are the most mentioned. Ferodo I know of coming from the car world, and saw mentioned a few times along with Galfer. But I haven't seen anything comparing the upgraded pads against each other. Anyone here tried any two or more of these (or others) and have anything to sway me one way or the other? Currently I'll likely go to the Vesrah just because they're mentioned slightly more often than the others. Pricing is close enough on all of them to be a non issue, largest gap is less than $10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I installed a set to EBC HH sintered pads 5k miles ago.

Just checked pad wear yesterday and they show very little wear.

Much better feel over the stock pads with these. Some guys complain about initial bite being not as much as others, but I really like the smooth progressive feel with these pads.

Very pleased thus far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6073.jpg (75.8 KB, 28 views)
twowheels likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
A couple of things.

Just case you don't know, make sure you clean the caliper pistons before pressing them into the caliper.

There have been reports that the EBC pads on some bikes have a little too much coating/paint/or?? on the mounts. Enough to make them difficult or impossible to install and/or inhibiting their ability to slide on the posts. I had this issue on the rear of my '98 KLR a couple of years ago and heard about it on Connies, both c-10 and the 14.

I dunno iff'n that issue has been rectified or not. Otherwise the pads work well.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I really like Vesrah pads, RJLs on my sportbikes most of the time with SRJL on the track bikes. Will be looking to get a set of them for the V when the time comes.
weljo2001 and Brad906 like this.

Keep it rubber side down and enjoy the ride
Get healthy - Get Fit - Change Your Life

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I've only ever tried the OEM and EBC Sintered pads (HH). The EBC seem to have slightly less initial bite than the stock pads but ultimately better linearity with respect to lever pressure and stopping force which with a little practice should make them easier to modulate near the limit, especially if you have SS braided lines that don't expand under pressure. That is you can brake harder without feeling like you are risking a wheel lockup. Predictability that is the main difference between cheap and high end pads. Any pad will stop the wheel from rotating but a good pad will provide the predictability and feedback to brake harder near the limit without making you feel like you are risking a wheel lockup. I suspect there is not that much difference between pads of the same type, in a similar price range, like say the EBC HH and Vesrah Sintered Metal and Galfer HH. Sintered are always going to be best for street riding.
hawkerjet likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-06-2018 at 01:40 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I went with the Vesrah Sintered Metal Brake Pads and switched to Galpher SS Brakes Lines and it made a world of difference on my 09 V-650...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
brake pads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode