• 2 Post By 16VGTIDave
  • 1 Post By BLACK DOG
  • 1 Post By Jack of Heats JoH
  • 2 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Group purchase: 60W LED Auxiliary Fog Lights Assembly

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...724665015.html

I contacted the seller, they gave me a price quote for 10 pieces $70 each. I was thinking maybe we can team up and make a group purchase, have them send it to one of us and he will later send it out to the rest of us.

So who is in?
zirconx likes this.

Last edited by vaulter; 03-06-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 04:04 PM

Garage
The description is pretty vague. How do they mount? It looks like a mounting bar that fits specific year bikes, maybe 15 and newer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
The description is pretty vague. How do they mount? It looks like a mounting bar that fits specific year bikes, maybe 15 and newer?
That's correct, it fits year 15' and up. It's identical to the one Kawasaki sells for $515, check here https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories...FFFA/999940470

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

China Knock Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaulter View Post
That's correct, it fits year 15' and up. It's identical to the one Kawasaki sells for $515, check here https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories...FFFA/999940470
Don't take offense but I have seen this many times on this forum, yes it would have been nice to save $300 on the Denali but I have a lumen rating and can go wide angle or spot, since I use them to avert hitting jumping deer and moose, they have the spot/ long range, I put the wide angle lenses in the box. There is no rating, no description of the type of led used, current per lamp @ rated voltage and lumens output, no beam pattern, and so on. There have been lots of posters on this forum buy junk and admit they bought junk, out of pocket $75, if it is just bright leds that you want for drivers to see you if and when they look in the mirror , you can buy them for under $20 from China and 1-2 months delivery.
And I could have saved a additional $75 on the SW Motech mount.

High beam

Low beam

The cheap led lights I speak of are on my Barkbusters , total was $12 USD including shipping

Also Philips led in city light position, 1.2 watts each or 0.12 amp @14 VDC
Metalmad likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Don't take offense but I have seen this many times on this forum, yes it would have been nice to save $300 on the Denali but I have a lumen rating and can go wide angle or spot, since I use them to avert hitting jumping deer and moose, they have the spot/ long range, I put the wide angle lenses in the box. There is no rating, no description of the type of led used, current per lamp @ rated voltage and lumens output, no beam pattern, and so on. There have been lots of posters on this forum buy junk and admit they bought junk, out of pocket $75, if it is just bright leds that you want for drivers to see you if and when they look in the mirror , you can buy them for under $20 from China and 1-2 months delivery.
And I could have saved a additional $75 on the SW Motech mount.

They are 60W, it's in the listing. No matter what you say, I will never justify paying $515+tax (about $560) for a pair of fog lights for a motorcycle.
twowheels likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 03-09-2018 at 07:10 PM. Reason: All the photos where annoying , so removed the clutter
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 07:33 PM

Garage
Disclaimer: I have no interest or use for the offered items.

Yeah, the listing is 100% accurate. In so much as it says virtually nothing.

Maybe something got lost in the translation? As has been known to happen when translating Chinese seller language to English buyer language. The seller will advertise the theoretical maximum possible wattage/lumens/BTU's/whatever under perfect conditions, and the buyer will find the actual output is 1/2 to 1/3. "Oops, so sorry for confusion. Have good day!"

In all seriousness, there is so little information in that advertisement, they could ship you a couple $5 lights, a bag of bolts and a bracket and they'd be ok. If you want to take the time to get all the details from the seller, including guaranteed specifications and a contractual agreement that they will assume all responsibility to ship exactly what is agreed upon, or they will issue a full refund and pay for return shipping...

I think most people will have stopped reading by now, and moved on to other discussions.
silviefox and Metalmad like this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 11:39 PM

Be careful of alibaba listings, make absolutely sure whatever they are selling will actually fit your bike and is what they say it is.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

If your are buying something form China, keep fingers crossed,no matter what the advertisement says.

if your are luck, you might get something worth the money or your might bang your head on the wall.

The choice, Gentlemen is all yours.....
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 05:44 AM

You makes your choices
You takes your chances
You pay your dues

How you spend your money is your business, and the pile of cash I spent on my Denali M1 lights was one of my better choices (early & late commutes all year long).
YMMV
not a doctor or lawyer
didn't sleep in a Best Western
onewizard likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 12:08 PM

Stuff from China can be hit or miss. Sometimes great value sometimes total junk. I tend to buy a lot of low cost stuff from china like plastic rivets, adapter cables, knock off cramp buster etc.. Most items are only a couple of bucks and if they are junk it is no big deal. A few times I have bought things a little more expensive like a $25 action cam, the box said HD but the picture quality was crap on any setting and it died a couple of weeks later total junk.

My rule of thumb now is to not buy anything over $10 from China unless I see good reviews from a reliable source (like members on this forum).

Perhaps someone will buy these lights and let us know how they work and hold up after 6 months or so use.
Metalmad likes this.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 04:49 PM

Garage
What is the light output in lumens? Wattage for LED is not directly comparable to wattage for incandescent lights and is meaningless.

As a basis of comparison a H7 bulb is typically about 1200-1400 lumens from what I have read. My generic branded, chinese made, aux LED lights are spec'd at 4000 lumen each and decent quality and are extremely bright. I would be concerned if they are unwilling to list the light output in lumens. To perform well these lights should be 3500 lumens/each or higher and be focused for a narrow beam (to get distance down the road). After purchasing my non branded LED aux lights from AliExpress, my opinion is that Denali and other big name brands are grossly overpriced, especially in light (no pun intended) of the continuing decline in the cost of LEDs. It would not surprise me if the Denali's come out of the same Chinese factory before they have their name stamped on them.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-08-2018 at 05:03 PM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
What is the light output in lumens? Wattage for LED is not directly comparable to wattage for incandescent lights and is meaningless.
I would strongly disagree with you , provided what I asked for was included, which is lumens per watt. The point is, why change to LED lighting if the power consumption is the same. many China knock off list wattage for a total of 2 lamps, and rarely give lumens. As to Ali express, I have had 3 failures with full refunds and 2 successes . Beam spread is another important factor. This last thread had some excellent information, and the thread died.http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...endations.html
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 09:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I would strongly disagree with you , provided what I asked for was included, which is lumens per watt. The point is, why change to LED lighting if the power consumption is the same. many China knock off list wattage for a total of 2 lamps, and rarely give lumens. As to Ali express, I have had 3 failures with full refunds and 2 successes . Beam spread is another important factor. This last thread had some excellent information, and the thread died.http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...endations.html
The power consumption of LED's is typically 17% of incandescent bulbs according to consumer reports to produce an equivalent amount of light. Some manufacturers will list wattage as the amount of light they produced when thinking of an incandescent bulb, that is 60w could mean it produces about the amount of light as a single H7 bulb (which draws 60w) but actually draws much less than 60W OR it could mean that it produces a phenomenal amount of light and actually draws 60W. High intensity LED's produce a fair amount of heat, hence the heat sinks to dissipate excess heat, as a result they are unlikely to run as efficiently as cooler running led's.
trialsguy and onewizard like this.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-08-2018 at 09:55 PM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

FYI The seller responded to my email.

They said:

- LED type Cree
- Lumens 3000lm*2
- Include mounting accessories
- Dones't have on/off switch
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 07:45 AM

Garage
If they produce 3000lm each and also include the mount that is a really great deal. I paid over double what this assembly costs for basically the same thing from AliExpress plus the purchase of a used mount. You can wire these direct to the high beam headlight lead so the high beam switch activates them without worry of overloading anything on the Versys.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 10:26 PM

Garage
Hey vault, any outcome from this thread? Did you order the kit / any success failure stories here?

'17 Versys 650 ABS - mods/adds:
- Heated grips
- RD Moto crash bars
- H&B center stand
- Dash: 2-port USB charger and 12V socket
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by versysleo View Post
Hey vault, any outcome from this thread? Did you order the kit / any success failure stories here?
It didn't go anywhere... people here were skeptical and didn't approve the idea. I buy a lot from AliExpress which is the daughter company of Alibaba and almost never had issues. If I wasn't satisfied I returned the item and/or received full refund. In this case the seller sells in bulks (thats why it's so cheap), so obviously I don't need 10 sets of these...

You are more than welcome to resurrect this thread and give it another try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode