Where do you keep.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Where do you keep....

Your spare key??

I want store a spare key on the bike....where do you keep yours? Currently its in the small tank bag which isn't at all secure. Any good accessible hiding spots?

This would be an an 07-09

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 05:15 PM

I keep mine in my pocket

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 05:40 PM

In your wallet, or in one of the pockets for foam shock absorbers on your M/C gear

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 06:19 PM

With my wife. If she is not with me, then at least she can come to where I am (or priority mail it). I lost one key and broke one over years. She has bailed me out both times. I love that girl.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 PM

It,s a secret!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
i keep a spare on the key ring with the givi topcase key in my pocket. I have a single key when not in the ignition is in my back pocket

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:37 AM

A spare with the bunch of house key in the pouch. The regular key goes into the pocket.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 09:31 AM

I've got a spare fully duct-taped over - inside the right side tupperware... ahead of the radiator overflow container.
Yes... I know it doesn't look all that "secret" but for my daily goings on, it's just fine there.
If I lived in bigger, tougher city - I'd probably opt for somewhere else... but for my situation, it works.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 09-14-2012 at 09:51 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
I've got a spare fully duct-taped over - inside the right side tupperware...
And where exactly do you park your bike, Gene?

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
I've got a spare fully duct-taped over - inside the right side tupperware... ahead of the radiator overflow container.
Yes... I know it doesn't look all that "secret" but for my daily goings on, it's just fine there.
If I lived in bigger, tougher city - I'd probably opt for somewhere else... but for my situation, it works.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking about....Hidden and not necessarily easily accessible. Carrying it on my person isn't really a viable option as I several different gear configurations and I would be constantly moving the key from one jacket to the next.

Currently I keep it in the small tank bag but I figure that's the first place a thief would look.
I don't live in a high crime area but that doesn't mean I'm going to make it easy to steal.

I think I have a solution....put the key in a small project box with some wires coming out each end going to nowhere....but look like they go somewhere....mounted under the fairing somewhere where you can get at it but on cursory glance it looks like an added component.

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
Your spare key??

I want store a spare key on the bike....where do you keep yours? Currently its in the small tank bag which isn't at all secure. Any good accessible hiding spots?

This would be an an 07-09
MINE is 'glued' with "Plumbers GOOP" into a plastic piece of the fairing, out-of-sight. IF I ever need it it'll take a few minutes to get to, but it's ALWAYS with me.

My first Alaska ride I stopped to walk under a bridge for some pics, then realized I'd dropped my keys. Even tho' I had the spare with me, I re-traced my path 3 or 4 times, and found them. I was VERY glad I hadn't left them at home as that would've been BIG trouble had I not found them.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:31 PM

Hey offcamber -- i keep a spare ignition and topcase key in a small "hide-a-key" container. The container is oval (slides in easier), not rectangular. I wedge the box between the radiator and side, plastic bodywork that covers the radiator. The box is colored black so it's not noticeable at all. You'd need to know it was placed there to find it. I've ridden well over 15,000 miles without it moving at all. Peace of mind my man.

BTW, I continually get compliments on the headlight "skull face".

Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 08:03 PM

In my jacket, because I never ride without my jacket.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 11:17 PM
dkp

I duct taped mine to the back side of the license plate.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 05:31 PM

I keep mine with the owner's manual and tool kit under the seat...it's real safe there....

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 05:56 PM

Just a question, what key opens the lock to release your seat to get to the manual and tool kit?
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMoto View Post
I keep mine with the owner's manual and tool kit under the seat...it's real safe there....

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 09:58 PM

I also have a spare key stashed in a non-visible location underneath the bodywork. (I can't tell you exactly where, because I can't be putting information like that out on the interwebs for all the nefarious members of society to see, right? )

One suggestion, though, for those using duct tape. That tape can age and weaken and lose its adhesiveness with weather and time. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I zip-tied the key to a solid part and then put some tape over it to keep it from flopping around, but even if the tape surpasses its life expectancy before I remember to replace it, the key isn't going anywhere.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 02:39 AM

Garage
My spare is in my safe
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 03:00 AM

I never take my second key with me. I've never lost or broken a key in my life, can't see me starting too anytime soon.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode