Stolen Licence plates & tag!!!!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
ddc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Angry Stolen Licence plates & tag!!!!!

I just returned home from work, parked Lucy in the garage and while I was removing my stuff from the rear bags I noticed my license was stolen.
I used loctite with SS nuts and bolts to secure the plate, both could not have loosened at the same time!

What a waste of time and money to get a replacement plate and tag.

Is this a common occurrence?
What can I buy to prevent this from happening again? I do not have a firearms permit before anyone suggests that route.

At least they left me Lucy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 01:37 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Happened to the GF's son.Took his GSXR 750 to the beach house about 6 weeks ago to do some yard work. Noticed when he got home the plates were missing. It happend to someone on the forum here in the last couple of months. Someone here drilled holes in the license plate bolts and put small locks on them.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 03:18 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
My license plate is always riveted on... It looks better and is also lighter and more flush on top.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 08:58 AM

I put a "helmet guardian" on mine which includes tamper resistant bolts.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/image...view/3864/171/
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 09:28 AM

Another idea may be bolts with anti-tamper Security Torx heads.

Bill -- 2012 Versys
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 10:45 AM

Same happened to a friend of mine in Brooklyn. I wound up buying the size up from license plate bolts, drilling holes through them started with a centerpunch, and putting luggage locks behind the nuts. Sure it won't stop someone determined to get the plate, but it'll make the next bike on the street a far better target than mine...

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 12:05 PM

Limey bastards! There's nothing lower than a bottom feeding yellow bellied thief. Sorry for your loss.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
Limey bastards! There's nothing lower than a bottom feeding yellow bellied thief. Sorry for your loss.
Whoa, whoa! Where do us Limey's come into this? Unless you know it was nicked by a Scouser (A resident of Liverpool) because they are all thieving scum-bags.

If it wasn't for the Welsh and the Scottish bringing the average down, this wouldn't be "Great Britain"; it would be "Bloody Amazing Britain".
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishman View Post
Whoa, whoa! Where do us Limey's come into this? Unless you know it was nicked by a Scouser (A resident of Liverpool) because they are all thieving scum-bags.

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 07:21 PM
MTS

Warning! This is not advisable!

Anyway with todays hi tech copiers just make a color copy of it and lam it to hard carboard. It looks like the real deal. If it gets old looking do it again. If someone tries and rip it off it distroys it. Then just color copy a new from the real plate. I have done this with many ID's also! Its awesome!

Please don't try this at home!

It is not leagal you must have the actual plate? Whatever!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
ddc

Day later

Thanks folks for all your great suggestions.

I will pick up my replacement plate on Thursday, already filled out the Police paperwork today.

I am leaning at a combination strategy,,,,,something more then what I had before for sure.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 03:01 AM

Do you have access to a pop-rivet gun?
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Do you have access to a pop-rivet gun?
Good idea. If I was to do that, I'd use a big headed steel rivet, preferably 1/4" and back it with a 1/4" large fender washer so it can't be torn off easily.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
ddc

I was just pricing the units out at Princess auto and Canadian tire.
Thx Invader and ttpete.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:47 AM

Yeah, 3/16" rivet with aluminum washer on top of plate, and backing washer behind the mount.

Canadian Tire hand riveter tools are very weak and crappy Chinese junk... This one at Princess Auto would do the trick:

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...-Riveting-Tool

You don't have to pay for the registration again. You only pay a few bucks for a new plate and replacement sticker.

Last edited by invader; 09-14-2012 at 02:21 AM.
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishman View Post
Betcha there's an "S" missing from the start of "Limey"....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
Same happened to a friend of mine in Brooklyn. I wound up buying the size up from license plate bolts, drilling holes through them started with a centerpunch, and putting luggage locks behind the nuts. Sure it won't stop someone determined to get the plate, but it'll make the next bike on the street a far better target than mine...

post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
Might slow em' down but if this pisses em' off they could just slash your seat and knock you bike over. I'd rather hope they would just take the plate.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 06:07 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Might slow em' down but if this pisses em' off they could just slash your seat and knock you bike over. I'd rather hope they would just take the plate.
Good Lord!!

Come on Capn Kirk! That sounds a little extreme! Holy balls!

Lets make the color copies and let them steel them. Then just make more copies! Why should I be the one to have to do all the work because some JACK ASS stole my plate!

Let them steel away! I got a spare under my seat all ready to go! Fake is the way to go!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Good Lord!!

Come on Capn Kirk! That sounds a little extreme! Holy balls!
There was another thread a while back where someone wanted to lock up the oil filler cap so somebody would not fill the oil pan with sand or something. The fact is the bike is very exposed to vandalism. It is not hard to really mess up a bike with a simple shove, kick, or slash. Done in 3 seconds. If you lock your car doors and someone wants in, they break a window. If you had left it unlocked, its possible they would try the door and look around and take what they would have anyway.

Just sayin' you can work hard to protect something only to have something right beside it get screwed up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode