Heated Grips or Heated Liner and Gloves? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Heated Grips or Heated Liner and Gloves?

Okay all you winter riders I need your opinion. Is it better to ride with heated grips on the V or heated jacket and gloves. I live in Birmingham,AL. I does not cold like Chicago, but it does get cold. I am looking for what would suit me better. I have a nice Olympia suit and some Joe Rocket gloves for cold. Hands are really the only thing reall hurting. Give me some insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 06:12 PM

Do you have handguards?
If not I would look into those first. Heated grips and/or gloves are nice, but the coldest part about riding is the wind. If you can cut that out the rest is small detailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by amir_zwara; 11-20-2008 at 06:16 PM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 06:38 PM

i have the gerbings heated jacket liner, gloves, pants and socks. ipurchased these at americade in 2001. this was the best investment i could have ever made. i rode home in 46 degree temps 570 miles in the rain and i was comfortable the whole way home. i have regularly been using them ever since and highly recomend them. i also have a 2007 goldwing with heated grips and when im riding in cold weather i don't even use the grips. much better with the heated gloves. the heated grips only heat the palms of your hands not your whole hand.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 07:49 PM

I agree, ridden with heated grips in the past but don't miss it, I use the Widder vest and gloves, works great, I'm in NJ, gets pretty cold here and ride all winter w/ that setup
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 09:27 PM

Here in Atlanta we don't get a whole lot of COLD weather, but I bought some Tourmaster heated gloves for riding in cold weather and they work great. Gerbing seem to be the Cadillac, but I was looking for something that I could buy locally. I had purchased some Olympia Windtex gloves that I thought would be good for cold weather, but they are worthless below about 45.

Most of the people I know that are serious all weather riders see to have heated gloves and the other heated bits.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 09:30 PM

Hand guards do make a big difference. I use Warm and Safe heated jacket and gloves. So far they have proven to be very nice. You really feel the heat when you need it.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 10:16 PM

Without a doubt, heated gear. Those who live in not-so-cold climates may think it's not that important, but I always found that it was as useful for winter rides in NM, AZ and even old Mexico as it is in the PNWet. Maybe more so in the SW, where it's usually dry in winter, but can get to be very cold in the morning or as the sun starts to fade into the horizon.

Like atgatt, my my preferred gear is Warm&Safe. Good design and very well made both liner and gloves.

Gustavo
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 06:53 AM

Not to bash another product, but for the sake of knowing what others have found so others could see the difference, like Gustavo, I now use Warm and Safe.

I used the Widder vest for about 2 years and if I remember correctly, it put out about 33 watts. Their vest are well made and thought of. That 33 watts is VERY welcomed, especially on long trips which is a lot of my riding. Then I bought the Widder gloves. They're "ok" and you can't really feel heat. Matter of fact I sent them back to Widder for them to make sure they worked and they verified they were, and they said you really don't feel the heat. They are on the bulky side. On cold days in the around 30 my hands would hurt just after an hour of riding.

I've only used Warm and Safe several times thus far. Recently I was in St. Louis where it was in the upper 30s and lower 40s. You really feel the heat from the vest and gloves. They work so well I never had to go beyond half the max power they put out. This time I got the heated jacket and not just a vest. The gloves are great too since they are not bulky and the inner liner does not slide around like so many other winter gloves.

The dual troller has one control for the jacket and another for the gloves. I bought the troller that you can install in the front console of the bike so it is always there when I need it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 06:54 AM

I would start with the hand guards to get the wind off of your hands - then try a set of good snomobile gloves. I have the heated jacket liner - but when I placed my order the gloves were backordered. I used the money instead for the handguards but my hands still got cold in the sub freezing range (below 32F/0C) - since my farkle fund is running a deficit I tried the snomobile gloves and they work great! I rode for several hours and I was toasty warm. The nice thing about snomobile gloves is they are designed to operate controls - I got the two finger kind (two fingers in each of the glove fingers).

On the heated grips - in Alabama type weather you might find them actually of benefit. But, like the other posters already have stated - they are of limited use below 40F - they only heat your palm and your thumb and fingers are left frozen. I had a set on my BMW and I really liked them for those cool chilly mornings in spring and summer just to take the chill off. But, for regular winter riding - I wouldn't recommend them. The other thing is you can't wear thick gloves with heated grips - the tops of your hands are left cold as well. It's not a nice over all heat like heated gloves.

I'm going to continue using the snomobile gloves and see how it goes. If I can continue to ride in sub-freezing temperatures and remain comfortable - I'll stick with them. Otherwise next spring when I bring the bike back out I upgrade to the heated gloves.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 06:27 PM

I've looked at many of the handguards on line, but would like to know from someones personal experience which ones seem to work best and mount easiest on the Versys. It
appears that most are designed for off road bikes.

Thanks,

Mike
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 12:04 PM

I have the Zeta handguards with led turn signals...very happy with them.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 12:19 PM

If your going to ride in cold weather nothing will be better than the heated gloves, jacket liner, pants liner and socks. I think you will be disappointed with heated grips.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 05:08 AM

I rode for years with heated grips. They were better than nothing but the heated gloves are way better.
Ted99uk.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 08:08 AM

I went through several pairs of "winter" gloves before getting some Tour Master heated gloves...night and day. The "winter" gloves work great down to about 45F. Below that my fingertips get numb. I have ridden down to about 35F with the heated gloves and have no problems at all. I still haven't tried them on high, because medium has been plenty warm. I haven't needed any other heated gear yet, but might have to look at something for my feet. So far a good pair of riding boots has been enough to keep my feet warm.

I was talking for a guy that works for me in Indianapolis that has heated grips on his BMW and he said they do a great job of keeping his palms warm, but that he still feels the cold on the back of his hands.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:31 AM

I bought the Tourmaster Synergy heated jacket this year and it works great and the cost is reasonable. Three way heat is perfect for cold starts that warm up and vice versa. I put on Motoray handguards and with regular winter gloves am comfortable down to 20 degrees. I do not plan to buy the heated gloves or grips.

Li432Paul, you have the Zeta XC guards with what looks like the Givi large windshield. Do you have any interference with full turn range left or right? Can you lock the front end? Thanks.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 12:06 PM

Gatorman on full turn the handguards do hit the shield but only prevents it about a 1/4" to full lock. This does not bother me while riding. Some member on here has installed spacers between the shield and mounts to bring the shield further out so the handguards will not touch. I can still lock the steering, the handguards hit the shield but the shield will flex slightly approx 1/4" to allow it to lock.

Paul

Last edited by Li432Paul; 11-25-2008 at 12:11 PM.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 07:06 PM

IMHO: 40+ heated grips, <40 heated gloves. I have the gerbings gloves and factory heated grips on my BMW. I recently (last weekend) rode from Natchez MS to Raleigh NC.
At 37 degree's and raining, the backs of my hands froze while I had near burns on my palms. I was wishing i had not loaned my gloves to my riding buddy.

2008 BMW R1200RT
2008 Kawasaki Versys
2002 BMW R1150RT
2002 Suzuki VStrom DL1000 (Gone)
2002 Harley FXDWG Wide Glide (Gone)
2002 Harley 883 Sportster (Gone)
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxrash View Post
At 37 degree's and raining, the backs of my hands froze while I had near burns on my palms. I was wishing i had not loaned my gloves to my riding buddy.

Ah yes, the dreadful combination of cold weather and rain. That is the worst, accept for the addition of a strong wind too.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 07:21 PM

Did I mention the 25+ wind? We had a gread trip, but even with heated socks, heated jacket liner and heated grips. After 6 hours of it, I was frozen.

2008 BMW R1200RT
2008 Kawasaki Versys
2002 BMW R1150RT
2002 Suzuki VStrom DL1000 (Gone)
2002 Harley FXDWG Wide Glide (Gone)
2002 Harley 883 Sportster (Gone)
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 09:00 PM

I like the flexibility of using handguards, heated grips, thinsulate winter gloves, and deerskin summer gloves, and a widder heated vest under my waterproof clothing. always comfy no matter the weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode