Heated seat - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Heated seat

Has anyone purchased and installed a heated seat? Was looking at a company today that makes them, not cheap for a semi custom seat, but thinking it might be worth it.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 12:37 AM

IMO A Heated jacket is better investment. Keeping your torso core warm improves comfort better than just your AH? Tush. I have a Tourmaster copy set : Jacket, Chaps, Socks and Gloves. I'm capable of riding in relative comfort down 10' F. Do the math on windchill at 70 mph? The Jacket is the most important piece, Best I know of currently available is Powerlet ~ $250.00

Lean/Two
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
Has anyone purchased and installed a heated seat? Was looking at a company today that makes them, not cheap for a semi custom seat, but thinking it might be worth it.
Where are you located?

2011 Kawasaki Versys

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Cothron View Post
IMO A Heated jacket is better investment. Keeping your torso core warm improves comfort better than just your AH? Tush. I have a Tourmaster copy set : Jacket, Chaps, Socks and Gloves. I'm capable of riding in relative comfort down 10' F. Do the math on windchill at 70 mph? The Jacket is the most important piece, Best I know of currently available is Powerlet ~ $250.00
Heated jacket liner is much more important in staying warm, after that I would say heated gloves. Your lower body will stay warm enough, even down to 32F with just insulated motorcycle pants.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
Where are you located?
Colorado

Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
heated jacket liner is much more important in staying warm, after that i would say heated gloves. Your lower body will stay warm enough, even down to 32f with just insulated motorcycle pants.
x 2! (And that's a "jacket liner", NOT a vest).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
In cold weather you are up against cold wind (speed), time in the cold (distance) and temperature. The wind chill from sixty MPH of 35F wind can suck the heat out of you like it is the arctic. A jacket liner will warm your core. My feeling is a heated seat will only heat your rear which does not really help much in the battle to stay warm.

I got heated gear about 2 years ago. If I knew it is as good as it is I would have got it a lot sooner than I did. For what it is worth this is what I use.

Gerbings heated jacket liner with a dual channel temp controller (one channel for gloves, one for the liner). The heated collar keeps your neck warm and eliminates the need for a helmet balaclava and the heated arms help too. I would skip the heated vest as a heated jacket liner is much better and not much more expensive, mainly because of the heated high collar and arms. Below 45F I wear the heated jacket liner under the insulated liner my Olympia AST came with as heated liners don't have much insulation on there own, why I don't know. As a top layer I wear my 3/4 length Olympia AST jacket which provides protection and keeps the wind off of you.

On the bottom I wear long underwear like under armor, a thick polar fleece mid layer I bought at an outdoor store (Mountain Equipment Coop) and over this I wear my Olympia XMoto pants with the wind/rain liner installed. On the hands heated Gerbings T5 gloves and on the feet motorcycle boots with thick insulated socks. With this setup I can ride for pretty much any length of time and pretty much any temp down to and slightly below freezing. Not a big fan of riding below freezing though do to chances of encountering ice on the road. Above 45F I can make do with just the heated liner in place of the insulated liner. With warm blood from the core flowing to the arms and legs cold hands and feet are a thing of the past for me.

With heated gear it needs to fit tight to the body over something like a long sleeve T shirt to provide contact to transfer the heat. Sweaters or other insulating cloths under a heated liner do not work well. Warm and Safe (version 4) is supposed to be as good or better than Gerbings. Tourmaster makes cheaper heated gear but the quality and heating performance is not up to the standards of Gerbings or Warm&Safe. Gerbings gloves fit one size larger than normal - a medium Gerbings is the same size as a large in most other brands.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-08-2012 at 07:21 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 08:48 PM

Mean City Cycles will put in a heated seat for you.

http://www.meancitycycles.com/index.php

2011 Kawasaki Versys
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 09:37 PM

In CO there is a differential of about 35 F between the day time high and the overnight low therefore it is difficult to pick the right set of gear to ride. My rule, if it's above 38 F by the time I have to leave in the morning I ride if not I drive. Touring in the mountains is over after the first significant snow. It gets way too cold up there and the good riding roads never quite defrost. Besides that is the time I switch from two wheels to skis :-)

Have anyone tried one of the battery heated jackets? I heard that the technology finally catch up and they are worth their money. Not interested in touring for many hours a day in temps below 40F. I'm would be interested in something to make the morning commute a little better.

BTW Colodak, what part of CO are you? I'm in Parker.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 06:15 AM

Just a note Warm and Safe provides the heating for FirstGear products. I have a set of the First Gear Carbon Heated Gloves and they work great been thinking about adding a liner also so I can eliminate some of the wires going through my jacket for the gloves.

"Why do I ride?"

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 08:04 AM

The only things I want to add is that once you core temp falls you CAN NOT warm back up on a motorcycle, you'll have to find a nice warm place to heat back up. All the over coats and long john will only keep you going so long because your own body heat had to warm you and the cloths, fight the chill factory of wind and temp. Never stand around in all your gear in a warm place as you'll sweat in you gear and once back on the bike you'll get colder faster.

Heated gear will put heat back in and layering you gear over it will help. BUT remember a couple of points, IF your swank heated gear fails always have some sort of backup with you. And even if you are toasty warm ice can still form on the roadway, mount some sort of thermometer so you can see what the temp is. A Buddy broke his hip riding a bicycle when he hit Black Ice. Instant crash. His bike kicked sideways and still clipped to the pedals he slammed hip down to a long stay in bed.

I always keep some of the little chemical "Heat Packs" that you crush to get going. They will help and I have popped a couple and put then in my inside coat pockets when I was caught out in the cold longer than I thought I'd be. THAT'S when I started buying heated gear, once was enough.

And just to be a real PITA! Booze will NOT warm you up, it will make you feel warmer at first because it causes the blood to flow to your skin. BUT that will only lower you core temp faster. So have that Hi-Ball AFTER ya get home!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
Seat Concepts has a the heated elements you can get but you'll have to get a controller and wire it on you own.

http://seatconcepts.com/products#ecw...roduct=7337354

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

I'm more looking for this for my ride into work in the morning, not for long rides. It's not entirely practical for me to put too many layers of gear on. I've got my single season First Gear jacket that I wear now, I bought a 3 season jacket and over pants as well, but my ride is 15 miles, then everything has to get stored in my top case or one pannier, I can't really take it in the semi with me. I installed heated grips a few weeks back, and engine heat helps with the lower legs, it's more the butt than anything else that is going to need help.

Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
In CO there is a differential of about 35 F between the day time high and the overnight low therefore it is difficult to pick the right set of gear to ride. My rule, if it's above 38 F by the time I have to leave in the morning I ride if not I drive. Touring in the mountains is over after the first significant snow. It gets way too cold up there and the good riding roads never quite defrost. Besides that is the time I switch from two wheels to skis :-)
When I last rode to Alaska in late June and MOST of July, 2009, I wore my Tourmaster 12v jacket-liner under my other gear EVERY day. Some days turned ON, others OFF. Worked GREAT that way.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post

BTW Colodak, what part of CO are you? I'm in Parker.
I'm in Thornton

Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode