Rookie Mistake #2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rookie Mistake #2

So... Rookie Mistake #1 was a previous thread where I laid down my bike at a stop sign at night, but caused no damage.

Rookie Mistake #2 - Got home from work, went to get off my bike.. .and promptly fell over on my side with the bike on me. I had forgotten to put the damn sidestand down. WTF (arkle)!

Damage to bike:

- Snapped off 1.5 inches of the clutch lever. (The mechanism is fine, just not the lever itself.)
- Scratched up red left fairing/plastic.
- Scratched up grey left plastic radiator cover.

Damage to pride... priceless.

So now I need to know where to get those parts with your help please.

The first thing I did was go to Twistedthrottle and buy the SW Motech crash bars I had been putting off buying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just think of the damage that would have been if you weren't there to cushion the fall.
My wife has scolded me quite a few times for putting my body in the way of falling toys.
Now you can become aquainted with polishing compound & Bike Bandit, and yes my crash bars are scratched.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 04:03 PM

I had a similar incident while parking my dad's KLX in his barn, but I didn't even get my kickstand down. I had pulled up to the left of a floor trough and when I put my right foot down to kick down the stand, the concrete wasn't there, just an eight inch deep trough. I managed to jump clear of the bike, broke a few inches off the brake lever and sustained a severe laceration to my pride. Even as an adult, there's nothing quite as intimidating as having to tell you old man that you laid his bike down (at least it wasn't one of his nice bikes).

Either way, at least your ok. And good luck with your repairs, it sounds like your V deserves an extra farkle or two while you're at it!

'89 yz 80
'96 cr 80
'99 kx 125
'09 Versys

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

I can live with the cosmetic damage for now. I need to replace the clutch lever as it is prevents me from riding the bike.

Sources?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 04:46 PM

Dealer or Bike Bandit.

Looks like is about $22.00

Here's a link to Bike Bandits 2012 Versys parts page.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...4181#sch731779

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 05:48 PM

My old next door neighbour did stuff like that all the time except he was a real pi**tank and it happened a few times.
The craziest one was one night he came home while we were sitting in our back yard and he pulled into his driveway and not only did he neglect to put his stand down he forgot to put his FEET down also!
It was like watching a slow motion replay as he fell over pinned under the bike and when I went over to lift it off of him he was killing himself laughing.
Til this day I don't know how he ever survived.

2013 Versys1000
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

I'm looking at this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-OEM...698#vi-content

There is no pic so I'm curious if the 46092-0031 is the correct one.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
I'm looking at this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-OEM...698#vi-content

There is no pic so I'm curious if the 46092-0031 is the correct one.
46092 is the Kawasaki part number that Bike Bandit list. don't know about the -0031 part

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 02:09 AM

Newby's and rookie's. Well we all have to learn. Not mad at YA, But yes that PRIDE hurts, please don't B mad at me, cause even tho I've riden more than 750,000 street miles in my career, I also commented Laugh Crash # 1 a week ago EA. 0 mph dump into gravel! Net loss 1 RH bar mirror and priceless amount of shame! Duh Hu?

Lean/Two
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 02:15 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Been There...Done That....Got The T-Shirt.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 02:36 AM

P.S. x 2 I was more embarrassed last week than most of first few times that happened to me, because people were Watching. Tip from my old dirt bike days: Tighten the upper of the 2 perch clamp bolts to torque specs. Apply BLUE locktite to the lower bolt and tighten until mild force is required to rotate the assembly. P.S. AGAIN> I've changed my levers to CNC foldable types (Please don't ask me why) so I have good clutch lever, yours for the taking A: PM me with info necessary and pay postage only. And B don't play fun with my hillbilly &&& no more .

Lean/Two
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 02:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
46092-0031 is the right part number for 2009+ Versys clutch lever.

2012 listing: http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...1780-handlebar

$14.46: http://www.partshark.com/fiche_secti...010&fveh=38807

Here's one with photo:http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-KAWA...e9f3a4&vxp=mtr

CNC machined clutch lever: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pro-CNC-...35a525&vxp=mtr

Brake lever: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pro-CNC-...item2a20462f1b

Both clutch+brake levers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pro-CNC-...item27c8e754bf

Last edited by invader; 09-07-2012 at 02:54 AM.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 08:09 AM

Hey man, I know how you feel. I dropped mine in the driveway the other day too. My handguards did an amazing job in protecting the bike. I have the barkbuster storms.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-COASTER View Post
My old next door neighbour did stuff like that all the time except he was a real pi**tank and it happened a few times.
The craziest one was one night he came home while we were sitting in our back yard and he pulled into his driveway and not only did he neglect to put his stand down he forgot to put his FEET down also!
It was like watching a slow motion replay as he fell over pinned under the bike and when I went over to lift it off of him he was killing himself laughing.
Til this day I don't know how he ever survived.
The accident prone seem to have a way of coming through general mayhem relatively unscathed. A friend of mine back in high school had crap like barn doors falling on him happen disturbingly often, yet was never seriously hurt until he was riding his bicycle and got hit by a car.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOleChalupa View Post
Hey man, I know how you feel. I dropped mine in the driveway the other day too. My handguards did an amazing job in protecting the bike. I have the barkbuster storms.
+1 on the Barkbuster Storms. Saved me some damage in my 0mph drop a couple of months ago.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 09:26 AM

handguards and sliders will save your bike from little mishaps we have all done them.
cheers
jet
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

I'd like the Barkbusters if they didn't have Barkbusters plastered all over them.

Gonna go with the Acerbus or whatever the name is in a couple of weeks.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Well... one minor disaster turned into some fakles for my V.

Ordered a new clutch lever, SW Motech Crash Bars, and Acerbis Handguards. Gulp... $325.00 all together!

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 06:36 PM

I almost did that a few times. I did do that once on my first bike) So with my Versys, I started using the kickstand to kill the engine instead of turning it off the with key or kill switch when I stop. Never an issue since.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 PM

Just appreciate the fact that you didn't drop it while traveling at speed. Things could certainly be worse.

But, so as not to make rookie mistake #3, you might also want to get a little more aquatinted with the parts fiche.... It'll come in handy.

**'2011 Versys, '75 Honda CL360 cafe project, '76 CB 550, '09 Husky TE610**

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode