Left foot mounting technique with peg lower blocks? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Left foot mounting technique with peg lower blocks?

One of the guys I ride with uses the left foot on the peg step up and over technique to mount his Vstrom.

Thoughts on this technique?

A) Is this putting too much stress on the kick stand?

B) I have installed Motowerks peg lowering blocks. They are rated for 200 lbs and fully loaded with gear and back pack I may be closer to 250lbs at times.

JoH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 08:43 AM

Cant speak to the lowering peg mounts. But on my stock pegs, I use the step over peg technique because it puts less twisting force on my bad knee. I also get off on the non kickstand side to save any twisting.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 10:21 AM
RMS

I am an over weight ole coot, but I can still raise my leg enough to mount my V and take aim at an odd tree or 2
my brother in law would mount his bike by using the foot peg, If you trust the pegs enough to stand on them when riding
on the dirt, why cant you trust them for mounting the bike?? Just be sure that the side stand in secure !!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

A good way to "mount", especially when your bike is loaded for camping, is from the RIGHT side using the right footpeg. My inseam is 31", so it works REALLY well, and EASILY for me. (IF you want me to detail HOW, just ask.)

ALL THREE of my Vs have Speedy's footpeg lowering blocks, and I've never worried about it. As well, I stand on the 'pegs LOTS while riding dirt....

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 10:59 AM

In the 9 years that I rode my 650 V (with Speedys peg lowerers), I always mounted my V just the way that the guy does it in the video (in the first post). It works fine. It helps to place your left foot on the peg as far as you can to the inside portion of the peg (nearest the engine), and mount the bike in one smooth motion, like the guy in the video. Alternatively - If you were to place your foot closer to the outside end of the peg, you would add some stress to your kick stand, and the parked bike would be somewhat less stable while you are mounting it.

If you feel that you might be the "clumsy type" with little sense of balance and self motion awareness, then you might want to try something else. Adding a lowering link to the rear suspension, a shorter Ninja 650 kickstand and lowering the front forks would help with mounting the bike too.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
A good way to "mount", especially when your bike is loaded for camping, is from the RIGHT side using the right footpeg. My inseam is 31", so it works REALLY well, and EASILY for me. (IF you want me to detail HOW, just ask.)

ALL THREE of my Vs have Speedy's footpeg lowering blocks, and I've never worried about it. As well, I stand on the 'pegs LOTS while riding dirt....

-
Please provide detail on mounting from the right foot peg. I have been reading about broken kick stands and cracked frames on other bike from standing on the left peg to mount. Some have suggested mounting from the right peg as this will put less stress on the stand.

Normally standing on the pegs distributes the weight over the 2 pegs i.e. instead of 250lbs on one peg to mount you only have roughly 125 lbs per peg when riding standing up. If the peg blocks are rated for 200lbs I am not too concerned about the extra 50 lbs for mounting the bike, just wanted to know if anyone had issues with blocks when putting all of their weight on one while mounting.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 12:20 PM

Garage
I always, from day one, mount my Versys like I'm about to ride a horse. Never had any issues.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 01:05 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
the kick stand can take it, think of it this way. if you can put all the weight of the bike on it and spin it around it can handle you. the only time id worry is when its a kickstand mounted to an aluminum swing arm like my ATK was

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 02:05 PM

I can't imagine parts being so cheap they can't handle a person's weight for a few seconds.

Off road we use a strap and pull the bike against the kick stand to remove tires, never seen the kickstand complain.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
Please provide detail on mounting from the right foot peg....
1. Put your right foot onto the right 'peg, toe holding rear brakes ON, right hand on grip and holding front brakes ON (so there's no way for it to move).
2. In a fluid movement put weight onto the right 'peg, swinging your left hand over to the left grip (which weights it), then swing your left leg over the bike, and to the ground. NOW you can release the brakes.

EASY, PEASY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
...if you can put all the weight of the bike on it and spin it around it can handle you....
I have to suggest that "swinging the bike around on the side-stand" can KILL you!

Mine came over on me as I was "swinging it around" on the sidestand, when the stand folded, knocking me into a low shelf of my work-bench, SCALPING me! Till it happens to YOU, you have NO IDEA of how fast you'll fall when 450 pounds lands on you.

First pic shows the shelf I hit (that scalped me), and I'm pretty sure that IF I'd missed it I'd have fractured my scull on the concrete, OR if I'd hit it a bit further in, broken my neck!

The floor was covered w/ blood. Here's what my "scalping" (that's what the ER doctor called it) looked like several days later.

I STRONGLY suggest that it AIN'T a good idea to swing your bike around on the stand.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 05:10 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
1. Put your right foot onto the right 'peg, toe holding rear brakes ON, right hand on grip and holding front brakes ON (so there's no way for it to move).
2. In a fluid movement put weight onto the right 'peg, swinging your left hand over to the left grip (which weights it), then swing your left leg over the bike, and to the ground. NOW you can release the brakes.

EASY, PEASY!

I have to suggest that "swinging the bike around on the side-stand" can KILL you!

Mine came over on me as I was "swinging it around" on the sidestand, when the stand folded, knocking me into a low shelf of my work-bench, SCALPING me! Till it happens to YOU, you have NO IDEA of how fast you'll fall when 450 pounds lands on you.

First pic shows the shelf I hit (that scalped me), and I'm pretty sure that IF I'd missed it I'd have fractured my scull on the concrete, OR if I'd hit it a bit further in, broken my neck!

The floor was covered w/ blood. Here's what my "scalping" (that's what the ER doctor called it) looked like several days later.

I STRONGLY suggest that it AIN'T a good idea to swing your bike around on the stand.

**** man sorry to see that that happen to you O.O . kick stand spinning isnt something i normally do with the versys but have a few times when i got blocked in by as$holes in the city who dont know how to park, my point was more of that if the kickstand can handle the weight of the bike on its own the kicksstand and tires can handle the weight of someone climbing on the bike with it down

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

Last edited by silviefox; 02-02-2018 at 05:12 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 06:35 PM

Garage
When i fist got my 09 V in 2010 i had hurt my hip a few months before and had to mount the bike by stepping on the left foot peg. It did bend the area where the kickstand is bolted to the bike. I weighed about 270lbs at that time.....Bent it back to normal position but it would later go back thats why my bike leaned so much.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
When i fist got my 09 V in 2010 i had hurt my hip a few months before and had to mount the bike by stepping on the left foot peg. It did bend the area where the kickstand is bolted to the bike. I weighed about 270lbs at that time.....Bent it back to normal position but it would later go back thats why my bike leaned so much.
This is my concern. I may try fasteddie’s right side mounting technique, this video explains it pretty well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode