Anyone have any experience with McCruise cruise control - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Anyone have any experience with McCruise cruise control

original thread https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...e-control.html

So my local Kawi dealer mentioned these guys as they make cruise control for the Versys and Connie.

https://www.mccruise.com/collections/kawasaki

They are not cheap, but looks like they've done their homework.

Anyone actually use one of these on their bike? Not sure I'd spend that much money on my 1st gen 650 ($825USD for the Versys 650 version), but I might be more inclined to look at a V1000 or Connie if these work well (right now im trying to find a used FJR ES, or wait for the Tracer 900GT to come out).

Last edited by onewizard; 12-09-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 09:12 PM

Garage
That is a lot of $$$ for an engine vacuum operated cruise control system. I've seen universal fit electronic servo systems selling for 1/4 that on eBay, though you will have to do some fabricating to install them.

I know you didn't ask about them, but throttle locks are well under $100. Some as low as $1 for an o-ring to slip between the bar end weight and the grip. I've been satisfied with a throttle lock after seeing the prices and complexity of aftermarket cruise control. I could handle the complexity, but choose not to.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Seems like the main thing you're getting for that money is bolt on install with bike specific fit. I wouldn't drop that much money on my 09 650 (especially since I'm probably looking to trade it in this year), but might be more inclined if I traded my 650 in for a V1k or Connie. Used Connies are way easier to find than used FJRs. I've also seen some leftover V1ks for reasonable discounts.

I've used throttle locks and currently use a crampbuster, neither works that well. I live in a place where I have 100+mi round trip of 80mph interstate slog to get to any fun roads, and the V650 is probably not the best bike for highway riding between the vibration and lack of power at highway speed (fun bike on twisty roads though).

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 07:28 AM

I use the $0.99 cruise control works great but you do need to keep your palm resting on the throttle. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Throttle-As...9Zm96j&vxp=mtr
jaaklucas and SmoothRoad like this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 08:08 AM

There are a few over on the COG forum that have used McCruise. Most there use the Rostra or this one from Murphs':

https://www.murphskits.com/product_i...roducts_id=422

There is an excellent write up on Rostra install on this forum by quexpress which I referred to when installing a Rostra on my '15 v650.

If the bike has the LT bags, his location will not work. I installed mine where the evap canister used to be.

Both of these units are about $200 but I think the Murphs unit may be a tough fit as I'm pretty sure it will not fit where the Rostra will go on an LT. Do note the switch gear on the quexpress install. Way cool. I used a handlebar mount waterproof remote ATV winch relay switch. It works well mounted next to the left grip. I wanted to control the cruise without removing my hand from the grip.

I had used the Murphs' one for about 200k miles spanning a decade. Only issue was one broken pull wire which I replaced. It is still working fine for the subsequent owner. I really wanted to use one of these but could not find a place to cleanly mount it.

All told, it took me about 8-10 hours to install the Rostra, including the head scratching and thinking fluid consumption. The bell crank installation really kicked my butt. Everything else was pretty straight forward if you don't mind and are capable of good wire splicing techniques.

I really, really like this farkle. It makes longer (and shorter) trips quite a bit less fatiguing.

HTH.
quexpress likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 08:46 AM

You can try this: Zemco AP 500 Pilotomat: Geschwindigkeitsregler AP 300, AP 500, Pilotomat, ZEMCO, Tempomat, Cruise Control,

It has been done, but not be me.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 09:05 PM

Garage
I bought a Rostra Cruise kit for my Concours from a forum member that never got around to installing it. I also never got around to installing it and sold it to another member. I just never found the time to strip the bike down to install the cruise, but I found the time to strip it down to remove all the farkles before I traded it in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P_20150625_221336.jpg (92.9 KB, 56 views)

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
There are a few over on the COG forum that have used McCruise. Most there use the Rostra or this one from Murphs':

https://www.murphskits.com/product_i...roducts_id=422

There is an excellent write up on Rostra install on this forum by quexpress which I referred to when installing a Rostra on my '15 v650.

If the bike has the LT bags, his location will not work. I installed mine where the evap canister used to be.

Both of these units are about $200 but I think the Murphs unit may be a tough fit as I'm pretty sure it will not fit where the Rostra will go on an LT. Do note the switch gear on the quexpress install. Way cool. I used a handlebar mount waterproof remote ATV winch relay switch. It works well mounted next to the left grip. I wanted to control the cruise without removing my hand from the grip.

I had used the Murphs' one for about 200k miles spanning a decade. Only issue was one broken pull wire which I replaced. It is still working fine for the subsequent owner. I really wanted to use one of these but could not find a place to cleanly mount it.

All told, it took me about 8-10 hours to install the Rostra, including the head scratching and thinking fluid consumption. The bell crank installation really kicked my butt. Everything else was pretty straight forward if you don't mind and are capable of good wire splicing techniques.

I really, really like this farkle. It makes longer (and shorter) trips quite a bit less fatiguing.

HTH.
How different do you think installing this on an 09 V650 would be? I think the 1st gens have more space under the seat or the left upper fairing to mount the module. If this install isn't too sketchy I would probably consider putting that on my 09. 800 bucks is a little steep for a bike that I only paid 2800 for, though I would still probably consider the McCruise system on a newer V1k or C14 (being much more expensive and complex bikes). McCruise is a lot cheaper on bikes with a drive by wire throttle (i.e. Yamahas).
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Stuck Thread / Future How To Forum Thread

As in the title, thanks for posting
mrvwbug likes this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 10:10 AM

I damn well coughed my Java out my nose when I saw the damage on those units! There's no way in hell I'd ever pay that just for cruise...... to each their own but seriously that price is down right ludicrous

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." George Carlin, US comedian and actor (1937 - 2008)

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:03 AM

I poked around with this and that and wound up with a Cramp Buster for $10. Simple, pretty much does what I want. JMO.
otto_versys_blotto likes this.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:26 AM

not even a buck for this.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-M...wAAOSwMtxXvWOS

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." George Carlin, US comedian and actor (1937 - 2008)

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
I poked around with this and that and wound up with a Cramp Buster for $10. Simple, pretty much does what I want. JMO.
Just ordered one of those, looking forward to testing it out this weekend.

2010 Aprilia Shiver 750 "Ruthy"
2018 Kawasaki Versys 650LT ABS "Lucy"
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto_versys_blotto View Post
Just ordered one of those, looking forward to testing it out this weekend.
I think you'll like it, be careful of clearances between the 'buster and your tank. unexpected contact may result. you may have to rotate it up a bit in slow speed situations. YMMV.

learn to balance the 'buster on the heel of your hand (my odd comment will make sense once you get it on the grip) and you'll be a happy rider (or at least I was....)
otto_versys_blotto likes this.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 02:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
That is a lot of $$$ for an engine vacuum operated cruise control system. I've seen universal fit electronic servo systems selling for 1/4 that on eBay, though you will have to do some fabricating to install them.

I know you didn't ask about them, but throttle locks are well under $100. Some as low as $1 for an o-ring to slip between the bar end weight and the grip. I've been satisfied with a throttle lock after seeing the prices and complexity of aftermarket cruise control. I could handle the complexity, but choose not to.

Throttle locks only give your right hand a short break. The bike slows down on inclines and speeds up on declines. Not a good scenario. I use my electronic cruise control to maintain my speed so I can pay attention to the road instead of having to divert my attention to the speedo.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 03:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmctech View Post
I damn well coughed my Java out my nose when I saw the damage on those units! There's no way in hell I'd ever pay that just for cruise...... to each their own but seriously that price is down right ludicrous
How much does it cost to add cruise to a GMC truck?

Time cost money so low volume productions take a lot more time than high volume. Companies have to balance selling enough to stay in business without being too costly that they don't sell.

I am considering the Yamaha Tracer 900 GT with electronic cruise control and it cost $13k

If I can get a Versys 650 LT for $9k and add cruise control for $1000 I am saving $3k.

If you have ever ridden all day, every day, for days at a time, you will appreciate electronic cruise control. I use it all the time in all of my vehicles that have it.
quexpress likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 07:09 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
How much does it cost to add cruise to a GMC truck?

Time cost money so low volume productions take a lot more time than high volume. Companies have to balance selling enough to stay in business without being too costly that they don't sell.

I am considering the Yamaha Tracer 900 GT with electronic cruise control and it cost $13k

If I can get a Versys 650 LT for $9k and add cruise control for $1000 I am saving $3k.

If you have ever ridden all day, every day, for days at a time, you will appreciate electronic cruise control. I use it all the time in all of my vehicles that have it.
A GM truck could have aftermarket cruise installed for about $400 and that includes new factory multifunction switch, vacuum servo and wiring into the BCM did it on my dad's 2004 GMC farmers special .... I actually installed a rostra kit in a friends old protege and the kit was $189.00 and it was $100 for my time to install it.... so yeah. I know why that pricing is stupid crazy high.... yes rostra is a big company. But come on if you think $1000 plus incidentals is a deal then you're my kinda customer. Lol... but seriously there's absolutely no reason one could not make the Rostra 250-1223 Universal Electronic Cruise Control Kit work a versys such as my 2009. I am going to order one tomorrow (bet I can get it for about $200) and make it work on my Versys. When I do I'll gladly take your grand and install one for ya.....

Last edited by gmctech; 06-13-2018 at 07:23 PM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 07:46 PM

Looks like somebody beat me to it, but I'm so interested in this cheap cruise control hack I cannot wait to do this to the versys! The rostra kit definitely looks like the cheapest option out there

Last edited by gmctech; 06-13-2018 at 07:52 PM.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmctech View Post
A GM truck could have aftermarket cruise installed for about $400 and that includes new factory multifunction switch, vacuum servo and wiring into the BCM did it on my dad's 2004 GMC farmers special .... I actually installed a rostra kit in a friends old protege and the kit was $189.00 and it was $100 for my time to install it.... so yeah. I know why that pricing is stupid crazy high.... yes rostra is a big company. But come on if you think $1000 plus incidentals is a deal then you're my kinda customer. Lol... but seriously there's absolutely no reason one could not make the Rostra 250-1223 Universal Electronic Cruise Control Kit work a versys such as my 2009. I am going to order one tomorrow (bet I can get it for about $200) and make it work on my Versys. When I do I'll gladly take your grand and install one for ya.....
For someone that doesn't have your skills, or the time, or both and doesn't want to spend $13000 on a new bike, $1000 to add electronic cruise control to keep on riding when the arthritis makes it hard to continually hold the throttle, I would say it is priceless.

A grand to me is like $200 to you. To someone else $20 is like your $200 and they feel like you are wasting your money and all that time doing this project. It is all relative.

If my wife starts hankering for a new truck, I might just have to install a cruise control in her '08 GMC Sierra HD farm truck.
onewizard likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 10:24 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
For someone that doesn't have your skills, or the time, or both and doesn't want to spend $13000 on a new bike, $1000 to add electronic cruise control to keep on riding when the arthritis makes it hard to continually hold the throttle, I would say it is priceless.

A grand to me is like $200 to you. To someone else $20 is like your $200 and they feel like you are wasting your money and all that time doing this project. It is all relative.

If my wife starts hankering for a new truck, I might just have to install a cruise control in her '08 GMC Sierra HD farm truck.

Yes, I do see where you're coming fom my friend. sometimes I get ahead of myself because I'm a technician with SET (specialized electrical training) certification... sorry about that.... I dabble with electronics and electrical on everything from airplanes to farm equipment to hybrids to Can-Am Spyders.... I ordered my rostra kit and should be in on Monday. I figure once I get the bike stripped down and start the install it should take me a little less than a day to get the cruise fully functional and buttoned up.... once I do I'd gladly be willing to help out any fellow Versys riders close by to me and install this kit on their bike for a pretty good deal on labour...
twowheeladdict and quexpress like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode