Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Need Opinion

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  KnobbyGuy 
#1 ·
I went and looked at a new 2013 650 versys today, they would not let me test drive because of the weather here in western NY. I would like to know how much has changed from 2013 to now? Is there any problems that I should be concerned about. Seeing it is at the dealership should I be concerned about recalls if there was a recall that year? Is it still possible to get accessories for it like engine guards and skid plates? Should I forget this one and look for a different bike. I will not list the price but I feel that it is satisfactory if someone can find a great deal please let me know.

#2 ·
I have a 2013 Versys 650, and have found it to be the funnest bike I have ever owned, and I've owned quite a few. As for farkles, you will be able find everything you need with no problem, and many different choices. Brand, style, price, etc. I personally like the looks of the 2nd gen better than the 3rd gen, plus a 2013 should be a lot cheaper than a 2017. A lot cheaper.

#3 ·
Lotsa changes for 2015 aside from the obvious body work.

Updated suspension, brakes tuning along with stronger rear subframe. More rubber vibration dampening including handlebars. 10% larger fuel tank, relocated foot pegs and probably more that I can't think of.

That said, the 13 will work fine, especially if priced right.

#5 · (Edited)
I went and looked at a new 2013 650 versys today, they would not let me test drive because of the weather here in western NY. I would like to know how much has changed from 2013 to now? Is there any problems that I should be concerned about. Seeing it is at the dealership should I be concerned about recalls if there was a recall that year? Is it still possible to get accessories for it like engine guards and skid plates? Should I forget this one and look for a different bike. I will not list the price but I feel that it is satisfactory if someone can find a great deal please let me know.
I am willing to bet $$$$$ on it that the prime reason they have a 13 is because of the price. If you can get it for under $5000, have them throw in the extended warranty and get the extra's you should have, like Oxford heated grips, the full size paper manual, BarkBuster guards and possibly some cases, that would be a deal.
$4000, I think you would never get that from any dealer, and one with a 13 has it for a reason.

Read the next post, absolutely right about needing to change fluids etc. In reality , $4000 is too much to spend on a 13 that has sat somewhere at a dealer, when you consider what it will cost to bring up to today's standard , equal to a new 2017 bike.

#6 ·
Keep in mind that even though the bike may be unused it is NOT new, it is 5 years old!

Vehicles were not intended to sit. Consider how the bike has been stored. In a climate controlled showroom? Or in a shipping crate in a storage shed subjected to temperature and humidity extremes? Has it been started every once in a while? If so, run away as the engine wasn't broken in correctly and will likely burn oil.

Consider all the overdue servicing that should be performed. All fluids need to be replaced. The hoses and tires should be replaced. All the seals in the brake system. The fork seals as well. The battery. The fuel system should be flushed and the injectors may need cleaning. Look for rust on the fork sliders and the shock shaft. Look for rust everywhere! I think you get the idea...

Considering the dealer has hung onto that bike for so long, I doubt you will be able to get the price low enough to cover all the servicing that should be done.

#7 ·
The NADA guidelines lists 3900-5140 as the going rate for a 2013. The bikes is 5 years old now which means not only fluid flushes but tires also. The recommended shelf life on tires is 5 years. You would have to check the date on the tires. Realistically, I would make the dealer put new fluids and tires and wouldn’t pay anymore than 3900 OTD. Check cycle trader to get an idea too. I would get the deale to throw in the 600 mile service somewhere in the deal. It’s your money, if you don’t like the deal then walk.

#9 ·
I have a 2010 which is the identical bike to the one you looked at. There are a "ton" of aftermarket parts that fit this bike. The main difference between this Mk. 2 and the current Mk. 3 Versys is it does not have ABS and the styling is different. Underneath the plastic panels they are the same frame, engine, wheels, etc.. They made minor tweaks in vibration control although it is not an issue with the Mk. 2 bike. Also the engine tuning has been tweaked for 1 or 2 more HP. The main difference is though is the plastic panels and styling.

#10 ·
I bought a new '13, back in April 2013 and it was a good bike (put 14,000 miles on it), but I really paid too much for it. I missed not having a gear position indicator. I traded it last September for a new '17 650 LT which was only $100 more then what I paid in 2013. The '17 has the shift indicator, saddle bags, higher adjustable windscreen, hand guards, and ABS. The '13's engine felt like it had more zip, but the '17 has a smoother feel with less vibration (although a new bike usually feels smoother).
But if the price is right, a '13 could be a good buy. Check the mileage, tires, chain & sprockets. I'd also look on Cycletrader.com to see what comparable bikes are going for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.