New Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Versys

I have been lurking for a few years with interest about the Versys 650. I am finally able to make a purchase and along comes the Versys 1000. I have sat on the 1000 and liked the roominess and fit. Having extra power for the long haul and endless open road miles around where I live appeals to me. However deep down I want the simplicity and lighter weight of the 650. Carrying a passenger is not a concern as at 57 with a ticker that could conk out I don't want to hurt anyone. My heart says 650 the extra power for the long haul, heavy head winds, long climbs up mountain roads says 1000. What should I buy people? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Helps me with perspective. Thanks for your time. P.S. Really looking forward to the report on Whitey and Hammy's Big Trip 2012 stories!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 09:44 PM

What's UP BMC55? At 53 with(ticker problems also) I can relate to your indecision. Personally I've either built and/or owned several Litre 4 cylinders over the years. I have personnally owned ~35 motorcycles over my riding career. Only 10 or so strictly street. My biggest turn off to modern Litre bikes is fuel mileage. There is no longer 1 out there that can claim to outdo a Pruis. Factor in the extra weight, insurance costs, and for that matter buy-in cost? Well I just can't justify? At times I get embarassed by an admittedly expert rider on a 40 BHP single that likes to play race at the PACE. IF?? I can follow him to apex, when he twist the throttle below 40 MPH he just squirts away initially while I fight a power wheelie or excessive wheel spin. The average Litre bike will eat a (grippy ) rear tire every 3000 miles, get ~35MPG and needs TC to be even Sedately ridden. I personally enjoy riding a slow bike fast rather than the inverse. 6 to 10k tire mileage and MPG above 50 appeal to me also. P.S. I just completed the 42,000 mile tune-up and corrected a problem I've had with the PC5/Autotune set-up that I originally installed in Nov. 2009. Running 43/16 gearing I'm averaging 60+ MPH

Lean/Two
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 09:07 AM

My 650 has all the power I needed with a great fuel mileage. I have had it for a year and rode 7k so far.

I wish it had an ABS though. I am a new rider and I think ABS would improve safety a lot. Nice to have's for me are - gear indicator, coolant temp, OAT.

I know this is a Versys forum, but if I had to do it over again, I would take a serious look at Honda NC700X - 47 HP, 66 MPG , ABS, and a host of other things that the versys doesn't have for not a lot more money.

Just my .02

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Of all the bikes I've owned over the years - around 15 or so - the largest displacement was 850cc - a Norton Commando Interstate - and it was more than enough, and would be even now if I hadn't sold it. A mistake but oh well.

I have difficulty justifying the need for a large engine, a gazillion horsepower and low fuel mileage when a 650-750cc engine will do all I want, or wish to live with at age 67. In fact, of all the bikes I've had, the two that were the most fun were a Suzuki T500 two stroke twin and a Suzuki GS450 four stroke twin. Granted I didn't ride them around the world but they were immense fun for everyday use. Oh, I did ride the T500 from San Antonio, TX to Grand Forks, ND one year and it and I did just fine. No cruise control, no fairing, no GPS, no ABS, not much luggage carrying capacity, but it was a blast and I could end the day and still climb off and be ready for the next day. Sinplicity has its place.

My most recent short list, before buying a Versys, was the Versys and the 650 V-Strom. The Versys won the battle because it fit me, and was, I thought, easier to handle. The 1000cc V-Strom fell off the list quickly because it was just too heavy and cumbersome for me - and it drank fuel faster than I thought it should.

It strikes me as humorous that most motorcycle magazines consider mid-displacement bikes (like the Versys) as entry level machines. I'd prefer to think of them as sensible machines. They're better than the old liter bikes - they handle better, get better fuel mileage, are easier to maneuver, stop better and are easier to live with day to day (for the most part anyway).

After all this, my point is that a modern 650cc machine is really all that the average rider really needs - unless you rack up 20,000 miles of long distance touring each year or need to cruise at very high speed, or simply want to impress people. My two cents worth concerning what is probably an unanswerable question. Hope you enjoy whatever you decide on.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

I started riding in 1968. At that time other than HD's big 1200 vtwin a big bike was 650cc. With modern technology the 650cc has power I would think to do just about anything asked of it. My wife rides a Suzuki 650 Burgman and has never complained of any lack. I guess over the years I have let myself be brainwashed people need these bigger motors.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
When I began riding in '62 the Triumph Bonneville with 40 HP was considered the HOT set-up, and as fast as you could get! Now the 62 HP Versys is a BEGINNERS bike...?

Go for 650cc - it's PLENTY!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 02:14 PM

A couple of points. I sold a Buell XB12SST to buy my Versys 650. I love the Versys but do miss the raw power of the Buell. I don't miss mounting a new $200.00 tire every month or so. The 650 is a good trade off to me between power ans weight. Much larger and the bike gets to heavy for my taste but less power and it seems the lag on the road.

And if you check the Stormtroopers you'll find the the Dl 650 Wee-Strom has a loyal following that surpasses the Dl 1000 Vstrom.

I find my "Little" 650 Versys will run 85mph all day with bags and top box and a Givi windshield with out a problem.

Heck when I was a kid a 650 was a big bike nothing other than H-D (it was a pusher then as those were the dark AMF days for H-D) and the Norton 850, for "The Manly Man" and that was it.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 09-04-2012 at 02:19 PM.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 04:35 PM

Well, I'm an experienced older rider, as well. I've owned over 2 dozen bikes of all types and sizes, but find myself wanting to simplify things as I get older. Although I'm new to the V, by all accounts it should be an easy bike to live with. It's also been in production for a number of years, so there should be no surprises, unlike the V 1000, which is a new model. I'm not saying there are problems with the V 1000, but being quite new, some teething problems could show up.

The total cost of ownership could be significantly higher on the V 1000. As previously noted: much higher initial cost, cost to insure will probably be a lot higher(especially in Canada?), fuel costs will be higher in at least one way(fewer mpg) and possibly another(the V 650 only requires regular gas, don't know if the V 1000 requires premium), servicing costs will also be higher(4 cyl. vs 2 cyl.).

Only you can decide if these extra costs will be worth it for what you want from a bike and how much/what type riding you will do on it.

Good luck with your decision!

Btw, I also used to own a Norton.....a '72 Norton Commando 750, in Black, with the combat motor. It's the only bike I've regretted selling, regardless that it was a cold blooded beast. I've yet to meet a former Norton owner that feels otherwise. Even today, one in good condition always draws a crowd. It's absolutely one of the best looking bikes ever built, imo. The Norton girls weren't bad either!

'11 Versys
'06 DR650
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazwegian View Post
. The Norton girls weren't bad either!
I remember those Ladies well. Toss up why Nortons were so loved, the Bikes or the Girls!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 10:59 PM

The V1000 doesn't ride as agile as the 650. If you had ridden the 650 and think the 1000 is just more powerful, the rest the same, then it is a wrong perception. The 1000 would also guzzle up more fuel and nullify the larger fuel tank advantage. A Super Tenere would seem like a better choice if a larger cc is needed and still give 60mpg on legal speed limit cruising based on review reports.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
At 57, the 650 is good enough for any kind of ride-IMHO..

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 02:17 AM

Versys vs Wee Strom?

I read a recent comparsion in a US national magazine that downed the Versys for fuel mileage. Where are they going to drop fuel mileage to 38 MPG? Bonneville Perhaps? For tuning purposes as I am now running a tuning shop back to back both directions even top speed runs were net'n 46 MPG minimum???P.S. I have seen a TRUE GPS top speed of 123 MPH. Stock and tucked on a few examples. Please don't tell the 50! OK?

Lean/Two
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC55 View Post
I have been lurking for a few years with interest about the Versys 650. I am finally able to make a purchase and along comes the Versys 1000. I have sat on the 1000 and liked the roominess and fit. Having extra power for the long haul and endless open road miles around where I live appeals to me. However deep down I want the simplicity and lighter weight of the 650. Carrying a passenger is not a concern as at 57 with a ticker that could conk out I don't want to hurt anyone. My heart says 650 the extra power for the long haul, heavy head winds, long climbs up mountain roads says 1000. What should I buy people? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Helps me with perspective. Thanks for your time. P.S. Really looking forward to the report on Whitey and Hammy's Big Trip 2012 stories!
At half the price the 650 is a better value and plenty peppy IMO.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 04:37 PM

650 all the way.
I'm 6'3" 210 came off an R1100RS. The V is just as fast, cuz it's 100 lbs lighter.
The 1000 has a big can hanging off the side, the 650's is nicely tucked underneath.

And don't let anyone tell you it can be a light touring bike. I'd hate to see what mine would look like if it was a heavy touring bike
This will do 90 all day long, across the plains, over the mountains what ever you throw at it, it'll stick.
Obviously a bunch of stuff has stuck to mine.

"Always go forward. Going straight is no fun."

'08 Red
Givi shield
Famsa Tank bag and pannier set
Happy Trails Panniers
Zeta blinker handgaurds
SeatPad Mod w/ Alaska leather cover
Heated grip wraps
Fiammi Hi & low tone horns

2008 V
1985 BMW R80
1989 Honda XR600R (650)

Last edited by Toddzilla; 09-05-2012 at 05:05 PM.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 09:02 PM

Light is right.....
I suffer from multiple bike syndrome and agree with the old saying " if you have more than one bike in the garage, the one that is easier to move around will be ridden more".

I love the 650, it reminds me of why I started riding in the first place........44 years ago. Whew, I am getting to be an oldkawboy!

Dab
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

I am the same at 44 years riding. The Harley is a comfortable all day riding bike. But it's big and heavy with the fun factor zero anymore. Looking at a smaller bike to try and get the fun back into my riding.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 10:26 PM

hey bmc55 ...where in Alberta are ya ? Ive had my V for 4 yrs and it has to be the funnest bike I have owned ...

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

We live in Airdrie. Don't know for how much longer as this area is expanding too fast. Too many people.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC55 View Post
My heart says 650 the extra power for the long haul, heavy head winds, long climbs up mountain roads says 1000.
Listen to your heart.

Last summer (well, late Spring) I rode my 2009 650 from SLC to Seattle and back to Texas. 3000+ miles on a 10 day trip, 9 days spent in the mountains. I took her up to 10k+ feet, had fun on the twisty mountain roads (up and down hill), got rained on a bunch, and fought a miserable headwind the whole last day coming into TX.

The 650 performed flawlessly through all of that. And that was with a full set of hard luggage loaded up, plus my 300lb self on the bike in full touring gear.

Believe me when I say you don't need a 1000 for any of what you listed. The 650 will be lighter, more flickable, and easier to fix on the road should something happen. And my favorite thing, living in TX--very little heat off the bike. A liter I-4 is going to cook your legs a lot more in the summer than the 650 twin will.

I'd rather be riding.
2005 Triumph Speed Triple | 2009 Blue Versys
1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 ZX6R (sold) | 2008 Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki M50 (sold) | 2006 Ninja 500 (sold)

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Just hung a bunch of stuff onto my '09 and rode up to Mica Dam, camped, then back.

650 is ALL you need!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08465.jpg (92.3 KB, 102 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode