• 1 Post By Doug Just Doug
  • 1 Post By zirconx
  • 1 Post By Turk
  • 1 Post By Turk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mini-Tank Bag

I'm considering buying a mini tank bag for my Versys. I want something that has a very low profile and fairly small with easy access to the main compartment. From digging around on Revzilla I found this one:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ro-20-tank-bag

Has anyone used it before? Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
the first question is what do you plan to haul in your tank bag? how often do you plan to use it? do you plan on leaving it on the bike or taking it on and off all the time? how much do you want to spend on it?, all of these can change what kind of bag you should get, i have a fastrax magnetic bag that i got from an inmate on here and with some very slight modification (shortened the side wings on it) has worked great for me

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

I only plan on using it once in a while. Specifically when I go on an overnight or longer trip or if I'm going through a few tolls that are common in my area. I want a quick stash of cash mostly and maybe a few odds and ends. I may even stash my passport in there for easy access when passing over the border into Canada. I want to keep the bag as small as reasonably possible.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 01:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
I only plan on using it once in a while. Specifically when I go on an overnight or longer trip or if I'm going through a few tolls that are common in my area. I want a quick stash of cash mostly and maybe a few odds and ends. I may even stash my passport in there for easy access when passing over the border into Canada. I want to keep the bag as small as reasonably possible.
my recomondation then would be a small magnetic bag (the strap ones can be a PITA to take on and off all the time) maybe one like this might be good for your needs https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-W...NXmzDd&vxp=mtr
Turk likes this.

yes im a guy.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
my recomondation then would be a small magnetic bag.
Thanks, that looks good. Couldn't find the dimensions on the ebay site but it looks smallish from what I can tell.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I'm considering buying a mini tank bag for my Versys. I want something that has a very low profile and fairly small with easy access to the main compartment. From digging around on Revzilla I found this one:

Thanks!
Hi There!

I use this one:
Bolsas Touring - Shad - Engineered for riding

I think the new one is easier to use and even more practical:

Drive safe,
R
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:16 AM

Garage
Quote:

Thanks!
I have this one on my Street Triple, small is an understatement. I would find something a bit bigger, this barely holds my tool kit.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:27 AM

I'm running the smallest SW-Motech Ion quick-disconnect bag. It's usually got my wallet, phone, keys, ear plugs, EZ-Pass transponder, folded hat, eye drops, small microfiber towel, visor cleaner, kickstand plate, and probably some more little things, with room to spare for a water bottle. Before I got panniers, it also kept my flashlight, multi-tool, etc. Narrow map window and not cheap, though. Here's a pic of it expanded.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:23 PM

Being magnetic does it scratch the paint? I am looking into one but do not want my tank all scratched up
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkridia View Post
Being magnetic does it scratch the paint? I am looking into one but do not want my tank all scratched up
mine hasnt put any scratches but if your overly worried just get some of that thin rubber mesh stuff from the dollar store/tree and put it under the tank bag

yes im a guy.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkridia View Post
Over time, any bag that touches the tank (magnetic or strap or something else) will put micro scratches in it. I make sure to keep a coat of wax on the tank.

I've used magnetic and strap tank bags on all my motorcycles. On most of them you couldn't see any of the micro scratches unless you were looking closely. On a few of the bikes, I polished out the scratches before putting it up for sale.

The kind that mounts on a ring installed around your gas gap will hold up the tank bag off the bike (i.e. Givi tanklock) to help prevent scratches. I have one of these, the XS308. It's a big bag and when there is anything in it the tip hangs down enough to touch the tank.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 08:20 AM

The key to not scratching your tank is to simply be very careful. I've used strap and magnetic bags on all my bikes, and none have gotten scratched to any noticeable degree. For mag bags, check the underside of the bag and flaps before you put the bag on the tank 100% of the time. And lift it off the tank carefully; do not pull it off so it slides/rubs. I also find that using some very fine-cut polish every so often on my fuel tanks will take out any surface scratches in the clear coat from tank bags and knees. Follow that with a good coat of wax and you'll be golden.
quexpress likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
Over time, any bag that touches the tank (magnetic or strap or something else) will put micro scratches in it. I make sure to keep a coat of wax on the tank.

I've used magnetic and strap tank bags on all my motorcycles. On most of them you couldn't see any of the micro scratches unless you were looking closely. On a few of the bikes, I polished out the scratches before putting it up for sale.

The kind that mounts on a ring installed around your gas gap will hold up the tank bag off the bike (i.e. Givi tanklock) to help prevent scratches. I have one of these, the XS308. It's a big bag and when there is anything in it the tip hangs down enough to touch the tank.
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but do you have any pics of the XS308 on your bike? I've been thinking of the XS308 or the XS320 but haven't found any good pics of them on a Gen3. I've always been fan of bigger-the-better tank bags, and am thinking of replacing the small gas-cap mount SW-M bag I've got on mine now, but I'd like to stay with that type of mount system.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
...For mag bags, check the underside of the bag and flaps before you put the bag on the tank 100% of the time. And lift it off the tank carefully; do not pull it off so it slides/rubs....
VERY important info, as the magnets will attract steel particles that WILL scratch your tank EASILY!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but do you have any pics of the XS308 on your bike? I've been thinking of the XS308 or the XS320 but haven't found any good pics of them on a Gen3. I've always been fan of bigger-the-better tank bags, and am thinking of replacing the small gas-cap mount SW-M bag I've got on mine now, but I'd like to stay with that type of mount system.
I've owned both the XS308 and the XS320. The 320 was a really nice bag, I liked it better than the 308 even, but it wasn't big enough for me. So I switched to the 308. Here are a couple photos I found with the 308 on my bike. I am going to be listing both the tank ring and the XS308 bag for sale, once the weather is a little warmer. (I'm selling my Versys).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tankbag2.jpg (80.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg tankbag1.jpg (117.7 KB, 41 views)
Doug Just Doug likes this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
I've owned both the XS308 and the XS320. The 320 was a really nice bag, I liked it better than the 308 even, but it wasn't big enough for me. So I switched to the 308. Here are a couple photos I found with the 308 on my bike. I am going to be listing both the tank ring and the XS308 bag for sale, once the weather is a little warmer. (I'm selling my Versys).
Thanks!

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguerreiro View Post
Hi There!

I use this one:

I think the new one is easier to use and even more practical:

Drive safe,
R
That one looks pretty good. Definitely on my short list. Thanks!
rnguerreiro likes this.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
I have this one on my Street Triple, small is an understatement. I would find something a bit bigger, this barely holds my tool kit.
Small is okay, I have a tailbag that carries most of my needed stuff. This would just be an occassional use bag when on longer rides, like I stated earlier a quick stash of cash for tolls, maybe passport and sunglasses plus earplugs.

Quote:
I'm running the smallest SW-Motech Ion quick-disconnect bag. It's usually got my wallet, phone, keys, ear plugs, EZ-Pass transponder, folded hat, eye drops, small microfiber towel, visor cleaner, kickstand plate, and probably some more little things, with room to spare for a water bottle. Before I got panniers, it also kept my flashlight, multi-tool, etc. Narrow map window and not cheap, though. Here's a pic of it expanded.

I like this one but the Shad that was posted earlier looks like it has a smaller profile.
Doug Just Doug likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode