Gel grips - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gel grips

I just was given some spider gel grips. Do they really make a difference? I've heard they get gooey in a short time and then I hear they are the best thing since sliced bread. If they really make a big difference in hand numbness, and I have to replace them every year I'd do it. Input anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Had my gel grips on for 2 years now.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 02:54 PM

I have used gel grips for years on dirt bikes and found them to be somewhat durable but only fairly effective in dampening vibes. Where you put the most weight on the bars (for me it is on the outside of the bar, clutch side), the gel gets compacted down pretty quickly and looses it effectiveness in that area--same thing happens for me with gel padded gloves, at the heel of my left hand the gel gets compacted down.

I slipped a pair of Grip Puppies over the OEM grips when my bike was new and have been happy with them--they dampen vibes noticeably and have been very durable over the 2 years they have been on the bike. Plus, when they get a "squished down area" at a weight point, you can just rotate them a bit and they are like new again. The drawback (for some) is that they make your grips "fatter." I, personally, like that...some don't.

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 PM

My husband and I just ordered 2 sets of "The Original Beemer Buddies" grips. They have received excellent reviews on ADV. I like that they have a strip of sticky to hold them on and then velcro. I haven't received them yet. I'm not sure how big they will make my grips. I can't ride without my gel gloves - they grips feel too small if I am bare handed. I will let you know next week how I like them. Check out the web site...Originalbeemerbuddies.com.

"Well-behaved women seldom make history" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMoto View Post
The drawback (for some) is that they make your grips "fatter." I, personally, like that...some don't.
That was my favorite part about using Grip Puppies on my EX650.

The drawback was they made the heated grips I had on that bike less effective.

Eventually I removed them when I was moto commuting every day. I use heated gloves now, but still depend on heat from the grips.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 09:14 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypgn View Post
My husband and I just ordered 2 sets of "The Original Beemer Buddies" grips. They have received excellent reviews on ADV. I like that they have a strip of sticky to hold them on and then velcro. I haven't received them yet. I'm not sure how big they will make my grips. I can't ride without my gel gloves - they grips feel too small if I am bare handed. I will let you know next week how I like them. Check out the web site...Originalbeemerbuddies.com.
I've been using tourna-grip for tennis rackets and wanted to upgrade to grip puppies, but website says they are not available???
Would like to hear an update on how these beemer buddies work and fit over our stock Versys hangrips..
Also would like some advice on the best gel-grips(Spiders?).
Grip puppies that make grips larger would be fine as I had these on my old Concours and they really helped. What other over grips are available? Thanks!

2012 Pittsburgh Steeler Versys

Last edited by Morgan2112; 08-18-2014 at 09:20 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I ran bicycle grips on my KLR - fat barrel-shaped, foamy. NICE!

And cheap ($5...?)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 04:39 PM

I use Oury grips on all my bikes. Pedal powered and motor cycle.
I like the size, and they dampen vibration quite well.
As for "gel" grips. I find that if the person does not wear gloves the oils in your skin attack the rubber. I see it a lot in the bike shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode