You're having a bad day. Then you come to the garage... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You're having a bad day. Then you come to the garage...

Came back from a really nice two week trip a month ago, did some 7k km of western US. I yet have to make a post with pics about that, but that's a happier thread. Went on another trip right after, this time in our VW Bus. Parked my Versys for about a month in the meantime, then two nights ago got it on the trickle charger overnight to top up the battery. Had a pretty bad start to the day yesterday, then went to the underground to grab the bike as I had to do some errands. Opened the door and saw this...

It was one of those days. My first split-second thought was that somebody pushed it intentionally, but I quickly decided 'no'. Then I saw the note. A neighbour of mine caught the rear tire as he was backing his STI with a bike rack. Admittedly, he wasn't watching his left mirror.
What sucks is that the bike went OVER the side stand and came down. It must have caught the right foot peg right at an angle that would not fold, so it snapped the bracket. And that sucks the most as the bike is not ridable until that is replaced.
VPS Barkbuster got scratched, mirror has a rash and a crack in the plastic and the cowling is destroyed. The lip of the side stand foot is slightly bent upwards, has to be hammered back down. I yet have to inspect it closer but what's weird is the dent in the cowling that caused it to implode like that. Nothing reaches that point! Did the handle bar give enough to bash into it and then sprung back into normal position? I don't know it's a bit weird. And I'm pretty sure the clutch lever is rotated up, but I can't move it up or down on the handle bar. You think if it was knocked loose, it would spin around the handle bar easier.

Anyway, he of course said he'd pay for the damages. Ironically, he is no stranger to motorcycles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 06:03 PM

You have a very honest neighbor. So many people would have just went on about their day. Sucks that it happened but I'd get the ball rolling to get it fixed!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGunslingerx View Post
You have a very honest neighbor. So many people would have just went on about their day. Sucks that it happened but I'd get the ball rolling to get it fixed!
Yeah, he seems like a nice guy. Mind you, it's a very small garage and only two cars would make sense to run into the bike, his being one of them so it would be hard to hide who did it.
Will be fixing it this coming week, we talked about it yesterday.
Anybody knows a good source to get these parts ordered, the stock ones anyway? Dealership prices are probably ridiculous. Main things being the bracket and the cowling. I also need to order a single VPS guard.

Last edited by Batan; 09-01-2012 at 06:20 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 06:19 PM

That's a bummer. Sorry.

Bill -- 2012 Versys
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 08:12 PM

Two sources I've used: Partshark is good, Bike Bandit if you belong to AMA and the discount is worth it. Either way, may take a couple of weeks to get parts once you place order. Sorry for your troubles. If neighbor is going to let his insurance pay for it, you might consider having your dealer do (and warranty) the work. Just my dos centavos.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 08:19 PM

Ive got two out of my three main riding buddies who were hit and run victims on their bikes.

Consider this lucky lol.

Good luck!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
Two sources I've used: Partshark is good, Bike Bandit if you belong to AMA and the discount is worth it. Either way, may take a couple of weeks to get parts once you place order. Sorry for your troubles. If neighbor is going to let his insurance pay for it, you might consider having your dealer do (and warranty) the work. Just my dos centavos.
Thanks for the info. He will pay from his pocket, unless it is over $500. Then it is an insurance claim.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batan View Post
...I yet have to inspect it closer but what's weird is the dent in the cowling that caused it to implode like that. Nothing reaches that point! Did the handle bar give enough to bash into it and then sprung back into normal position? I don't know it's a bit weird....
Was your steering-lock ON? Years ago I read somewhere that fall-over damage is very much lessened by leaving the steering locked, so that in a fall-over the bars don't get pushed back-and-forth. That (and leaving it in first gear) is now my SOP!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Yes it was. And it was in gear too. But I can't quite figure out how that dent/crack happened.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 02:56 PM

UGGGg...dude, you must've been sick to your stomach when you saw that!!!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOleChalupa View Post
UGGGg...dude, you must've been sick to your stomach when you saw that!!!
Actually, the day before and that day were so crappy with things going wrong left and right that by the time I saw the bike, all I could do was shake my head and laugh in disbelief.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Check out ebay. theres a red tank and two foot peg brackets for the side you don't need

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 02:29 AM

Garage
Off the BarkBusters website

Canada
Twisted Throttle LTD
Peacedale, RI
USA
Ph: +1 (401) 284-4200
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.twistedthrottle.com
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 06:43 AM

Ouch, sorry that it happened to you. It's impossible for the fairing to crack up like that with your sliders and hand guards in place. My guess that it came down and hit something on the floor causing such a localized intense damage.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batan View Post
Yes it was. And it was in gear too. But I can't quite figure out how that dent/crack happened.
Looks like maybe the Barkbuster rotated and impacted the cowl? If the bars bend, they don't spring back. Those peanut-brittle peg supports are my least favorite Versys feature.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Looks like maybe the Barkbuster rotated and impacted the cowl? If the bars bend, they don't spring back. Those peanut-brittle peg supports are my least favorite Versys feature.

Yes it did! I just noticed that I can rotate it. So it fell on the barkbuster pushing it downwards and denting/cracking the cowling. Still glad it was there, it would have buggered up the Oxford grips controller(then again, my Oxford grips are giving me problems) and other things so it probably still minimized the damage. Cowling is not essential for riding.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:B:SS:US:1123

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode