Say Goodnight, Gracie. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Say Goodnight, Gracie.

After selling my '09 V last November I've taken a bit of time to select a replacement for a 2013 ride to Alaska.

After internet research, chats with riding buddies, and a few demo rides I shortened the list of possible candidates to the DL 650 Adventure, DR 650, and KLR 650. (Another Versys wasn't on my list because...well...I wanted something different).

This week I brought home a new 2012 KLR 650.

While I don't expect this decision to gain approval from this forum's members...I wanted to take the time to say goodbye and thanks for the information that helped me prepare the Versys for last year's ride to Montana.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.

Last edited by CharlestonADV; 08-30-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 06:43 PM

Switching to a KLR does not mean you have to say good bye. Depending on where your heading and how you are getting there the KLR can be a really good choice.

Keep us posted on your trip to Alaska.

Godspeed
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 06:51 PM

Nothing wrong with buying a KLR.

2011 Kawasaki Versys

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Adios......

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 07:30 PM

I ain't mad at U! I had an 87 KLR for 47,000 wonderful miles. Til a %^$$ Thief decided he wanted it more. I do think that Kaw somewhat ruined this machine tho in 08, much extra weight, no more power. I'd still have mine today (with a front brake upgrade and aftermarket suspension) only if?

Lean/Two
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 07:54 PM

Nice left field choice -- but then again you wanted something different. I was thinking you'd go weestrom.

As you know young grasshopper, with every decision comes consequence. Giving up the V and wee for the K means giving up a level of paved comfort for more dirt. Congrats! You have just taken on the Karma of finding more dirt roads upon which to ride. Way cool. Not just in AK, but many great opportunities in the lower 48 on your way there.

Enjoy planning the trip. Many of us know that is a big part of the fun!

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:

on two wheels:
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 08:09 PM

Did it come with a milk crate or will you have to find your own along side the road?

Been there, done that, still have the milk crate.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
Did it come with a milk crate or will you have to find your own along side the road?

Been there, done that, still have the milk crate.
Of course you do. I still have the 4 from the back of a White Hen I "found" in college. Only one has seen action on a bike. Rest assured, all 4 serve as shelves in the garage as we speak.

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:

on two wheels:
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Here's a VERY good site for the KLR650 - http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_klr650/
...bunch of really good guys there, just like this site. If you're interested, go to the pics and look for my series of photos on converting the spoked-wheels to tubeless. Worked really well on my '04.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:09 PM

I am a new V owner for only a couple months now, but also have an 09 KLR.. I have to admit I have considered selling the KLR but every time I take her for a ride I can't believe how much I like it. I have an africa seat and have made a number of other changes, but bottom line is I enjoy riding the KLR more than the V at this point. I like the extra power of the V, but overall comfort for me goes to my KLR. You won't be disappointed with your KLR and it is one of the best all around bikes ever built in my opinion.. Just don't let forums throw so much at you about issues that are lurking with the bike that it overwhelms you.

09 Lime Versys
13' DL650 Vstrom
06 (Gold) Goldwing IV
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
\

While I don't expect this decision to gain approval from this forum's members...
I approve...ride what you like.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 07:43 PM

I wish I had a KLR.....
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Over the years I've noticed a common trend with certain bikes:
- Harley riders add chrome parts
- BMW riders buy Kermit chairs
- Ducati riders replace components with carbon fiber
- ...and KLR riders (along with scooter folks) bolt on milk crates

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 03:28 PM

Riding KLR from South Carolina to Alaska- there's gotta be medal for that!
I keep mine (a '92) mostly for another Baja trip (someday!), and haven't taken it on more than a 3-hour ride since I got the Versys.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I sold my fully loaded and modded '08 KLR not long after getting the '11 Versys. Sure the KLR can do Highway speeds but I never felt like pushing it beyond 65 MPH because I felt like I was working it too hard. i had no one to go exploring with and trails are few and far between around here. The Versys is more comfortable and fun for the riding I am doing with it. Good luck with your KLR. I see they are bringing back the candy lime green for '13.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 06:43 AM

I have a KLR and it's a great motorcycle, one of my top 10. It will haul almost anything almost anwhere, as long as you're not in a hurry because fast it's not. Simple to work on and cheap as well. While there are some suppliers of after market parts for the Versys you can get anything for a KLR.

It has it's weak points of course, the Doohicky is the worse but can be upgraded for around $100.00 with the tools needed to change it. Brakes are at best poor, and the 08+ are prone to burn oil at high RPM. And of course the seat's no better than the junker on the Versys.

But my 09 has been to Florida from Ohio, to Va and WI with no trouble at all, not even a flat.

Check out this site for the low down.

http://www.klr650.net/forums/index.php

Here My "Fat Little Pig

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 09-03-2012 at 06:49 AM.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I had my KLR milk crate on my Versys for a while. No pics though so no proof. Got rid of my KLR but now have the V and a KLX.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Riding KLR from South Carolina to Alaska- there's gotta be medal for that!
A friend of mine from Illinois rode from Key West, Florida to San Diego, California to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Goose Bay, Labrador and back to Key West in 16 days, divided into 8 travel days and 8 rest days. He did another "35 Bays" ride in which he and a friend went to every bay in North America.

My friend has a KLR.

http://www.bopisolutions.com/35Bay/Day30.htm

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
I had my KLR milk crate on my Versys for a while. No pics though so no proof. Got rid of my KLR but now have the V and a KLX.
Here's pics of MINE!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg milk-crate1.jpg (75.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg milk-crate2.jpg (91.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg milk-crate3.jpg (79.8 KB, 62 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here's pics of MINE!

Nice. I did the same thing....im a youngster, my sportbikin buddies thought it was hilarious when I bought a V with sidecases....then I strapped a milk crate too it....wonder what theyll say if I swap the V out for a miata
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode