Help dealing with repair shop! (Fuel leak) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Angry Help dealing with repair shop! (Fuel leak)

Hi guys,
(please let me know if this is the right forum to post this)

So finally after over a month of the bike in the shop they called and said they were almost done with my bike.

I took it to the shop last year to have them repair a broken triple tree, from what I believe was a failed attempt to steal the bike.

However, on the call today they tell me that "there's something wrong with your bike, we found a fuel leak on the left side and we're gonna need to replace the entire throttle body assy." (about +$1,200 - twice the price I'm already paying for the triple tree).
I proceeded to ask for more details and pictures of what was wrong and told them in any case I would take it to an official dealership to get this done over warranty. I did request for images of the bike. See pictures below.

Is it possible that this piece broke by itself and it's something that will be covered by warranty?.....

I don't want to point fingers, but I have the feeling that they broke the delivery pipe when mounting/unmounting the gas tank, and now don't want to own up to it. I'm going over tomorrow to pick my bike up and want to see what's the best way to handle this situation, I rode the bike there when I took it to their shop, should I demand that I can ride the bike out of the shop?
Any ideas on how to make sure they are now screwing me over?

Here's what they sent:
IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

'17 Versys 650 ABS - mods/adds:
- Heated grips
- RD Moto crash bars
- H&B center stand
- Dash: 2-port USB charger and 12V socket

Last edited by versysleo; 01-10-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 05:52 PM

I've taken my tank off several times (air cleaner r/r) and it doesn't involve that part...you can bust the fuel pump outlet when you disconnect the tank..but you'd have to be pretty ham ham handed...the fuel pump assembly doesn't cost $1,200 bucks either..more like $600...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, assy price they're listing is $650 but they're adding almost the same in fees and other stuff.
But most importantly... The bike was in working condition when I took it there! And from the images, it looks like they tried gluing it together

'17 Versys 650 ABS - mods/adds:
- Heated grips
- RD Moto crash bars
- H&B center stand
- Dash: 2-port USB charger and 12V socket

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 07:26 PM

Garage
Someone has been screwing with your bike? I would take it to the dealer and see what warranty will cover. Parts only take a few days to arrive. There is no excuse for taking a month to fix a bike.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-10-2018 at 07:28 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Bad Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by versysleo View Post
Yeah, assy price they're listing is $650 but they're adding almost the same in fees and other stuff.
But most importantly... The bike was in working condition when I took it there! And from the images, it looks like they tried gluing it together
First I would ask them why they broke it, it would be impossible for you ride it like that. That is under pressure from the fuel pump. Key it on and see how much fuel spews out. Those people didn't know what they were doing, you never remove that end of the fuel line , they probably idin't know how to release it properly at the tank. Sounds like a very crooked bike shop, as to warranty, good luck it getting that done, most dealerships don't warranty unqualified peoples damage, warranty is for defective parts. It was fine until someone F**K with it.

This is a photo from my valve shim thread, notice the angle of the fuel line, only way to break that is by forcefully removing the fuel tank.

Here is a rare photo , as I initially purchased a Kawi fuel extension, in this photo I did remove the fuel line at the TB, what a PITA, it is female both ends

I then created this;

My best advice is even if you are removing the TB , remove the fuel line after and use vaseline on the bung.

Also I have seen a 5/16 male female fuel extension in China, when I looked again I couldn't find it. Once you follow my post on TB sync bringing out the vacuum lines, no need to ever remove the gas tank again.

Last edited by onewizard; 01-10-2018 at 08:48 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:27 PM

Garage
I'm sure they broke it but how are you going to prove it-since there is no movement or wear I can't see Kawasaki warranting it-did you have insurance on your bike- if so you could include it in the claim

Deep in Cajun Country
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 03:44 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
ive been f*ucked over by a shop like this before (my old ATK) and lucky for them i just had oral surgery done and could talk and wasnt emotionally strong enough to handle it so they got away with it.

why i recommend taking photos or video of EVERYTHING on your bike before ever taking it to a shop (or just dont go to a shop at all).

i would white or email the owner of the business and let them know that you rode your bike in and that damage wasnt there before and that they need to replace that part and any other parts they damaged, and save you the damaged parts (to prove they replaced them, another thing i always recommend) for free. and if they dont you will seek legal actions.

then find a lawyer (pre paid legal is great) and give him your case. if they dont repair it you can sue for damages (and take it to an over priced shop) and for lost transportation/ what ever rental fees you might have from having to rent a vehicle when yours is in the shop. and even emotional damage if you can swing it..

dont let them f*ck you over like i got. they have insurance for a reason and only good shops fix there **** ups (yes even the best of shops are still just people and people f*ck up time to time) the $hitty ones cover them up (like they tried to do with glue or epoxy) and push them off on people.

also once all is said and done make sure you be vocal about what happen. leave reviews every where so others know (if they do right make sure to mention that) hell some people like to even let local news know (also a good threat to make if they dont wanna fix there mess ups)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 04:26 PM

Garage
Talk to your area BBB (Better Business Bureau) might help...
onewizard likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by versysleo View Post
I would ask how the glue got there, it is mechanically impossible to break that any other way than by forcing the gas tank off, absolutely no reason to remove that when the same quick connect is at the gas tank. Like I said before, it would have been impossible to ride it like that as it is under pressure from the fuel pump. The suggestion of the BBB is good however you might find that they aren't registered and may also have complaints against them . Frankly I would take it as is to a proper dealer as there is a considerable amount of possible damage to occur if someone doesn't know what they are doing which appears to be the case here. I would request that they pay for all damages , you can always use your credit card and then request a refund , although I prefer to be up front. I would get a quote from the dealer to replace the TB including labour, go to the bike shop, subtract that amount from the bill and if you have towing /n auto club, get it towed to the dealer.

Only you can decide what is good for you, legal action may make you feel better , but I have never seen a lawyer fix a motorcycle before.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 10:37 PM

Garage
All fine info but you have to be able to prove they did it-you say yes they did it-they say it came in like that- you have the burden of proof-courts ,lawyers BBB all need proof to help you no proof no help- I know it sucks and it's to late to ask but why didn't you take it to a Kawasaki dealer -again how are you going the prove they did it..

Deep in Cajun Country
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
All fine info but you have to be able to prove they did it-you say yes they did it-they say it came in like that- you have the burden of proof-courts ,lawyers BBB all need proof to help you no proof no help- I know it sucks and it's to late to ask but why didn't you take it to a Kawasaki dealer -again how are you going the prove they did it..
I don't fully agree with all your statements, a good repair shop will do a walk around, note all damages, if there was a fuel leak, that would have been obvious , dropping off after having it towed would have been noted by the dealer. It is a known fact that JB weld on it's own doesn't work as others have damaged the fuel tank end, under pressure from the fuel pump plus the force required to get the fuel line on, exceeds what JB Weld can ever support. Why not the dealer is a good question, only the OP can answer that, my response would be only if I had dealt with this shop extensively and the dealer mechanic performed like this shop. As to proof, if he was brining it after work, proof of him clocking out, the time it takes to this shop, and the time the shop posted upon receiving it should equal the travel time.

BTW winter has set in here, went from minus 20'C for 2 weeks to plus 8'C and 1 inch of rain, snow is all gone.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 09:16 AM

I would be cautious about taking the bike off their premises before getting satisfaction. I had a Chevy dealer damage the front axle housing on an older 4wd vehicle. The damage wasn't discovered until the next day, so there was no way to prove they did it.

This motorcycle shop will deny everything once the bike is off their premises.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode