Continental Road Attack 3 ??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By brock29609
  • 2 Post By Jack of Heats JoH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Continental Road Attack 3 ???

A search here reveals zero Versys-related comments about this sport touring tire.

I'm not only curious about on-street performance and longevity, but also ease of install for a DIY'er.

Have any firsthand info to share?

Found a pair for $270.86 w/ free shipping.

turn8a likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 07:08 AM

Hi Brock, I am also interested in high mileage tires and install my own, though I can't help you on the tires you mention.
As far as installation goes I have found Michelin Pilot Road tires easier to install than Shinko because Shinko sidewalls are stiffer.
(ymmv) I was looking for info on the new Roadsmart 3 which is supposed to be sticky AND high mileage if that is even possible. I decided to try them and now have slightly over 3k on them. Traction seems to be as good as PR3s, maybe better but I never really push that hard so others will answer that. Mileage appears to be on par with PR3s, no visible wear at this time. In contrast, earlier Roadsmart tires I have tried show 50% wear at 3k miles. They also seem to be cheaper than the Michelins.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 09:32 AM

I installed Dunlop Road Smart 3s. No issue with DIY install. Have about 4K miles on them and lots of tread left, very slight center flat spot. Grip had been good, but I am not an aggressive rider. Dunlop had a $100 rebate last summer on a pair which made then about $140 less than a pair of Michelin PR4s at the time.

I would prefer Michelin PR5s, but will buy the RS3 again if Dunlop offers a decent rebate next year.
quexpress and Duffy like this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

I thought about holding out until the new Michelin Road 5 comes out later this month, but Continental has a great reputation and the rear tire is on clearance at Riders Domain (formerly JakeWilson.com). Revzilla will also match the price.

Nobody's tried them?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 01:09 PM

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Finally got the Road Attach 3's mounted and just returned from an overnighter... one day of perfect weather, one day wet and cold. The verdict? WOW! Fantastic tire.

The bike felt incredibly planted when leaned. You can feel that the slightly-aggressive profile puts more rear rubber on the road when at an angle. Yet steering was predictable with no drastic fall-in when turned. Felt soft and sticky, telepathic. And, they were equally outstanding in the rain. Never even a tiny slip in 100+ miles of wet curvy Appalachian roads. I was equally as confident in the wet as I was on my Pilot Road 4's, if not more so.

And, I mounted them myself without much difficulty. Once I warmed them up with a hair dryer they slipped on relatively easily with tire irons.

A+!

Edit: For the record, they were $270.86 to my door for the pair.

Last edited by brock29609; 04-23-2018 at 09:26 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
A search here reveals zero Versys-related comments about this sport touring tire.

I'm not only curious about on-street performance and longevity, but also ease of install for a DIY'er.

Have any firsthand info to share?

Found a pair for $270.86 w/ free shipping.

In reality there is not any such thing as ease to install that can be measured in any meaningful way.

Quality (and usually also more pricy sport tour) tires are a better value in the long run IMO. They grip better, make you feel more secure on the bike, don't slip and wear more evenly and last longer.

I would put the Michelin PR5, Metzeler Roadtec 01, Pirelli Angel GT, and perhaps the Continental Conti Road and perhaps a few others in this category. I would however avoid bias ply tires and tires fabricated from a single tread compound (vs multi compound tires) as they do not work as well. Bargin sport tour tires like the Continental Conti Motions (not the same tire as the Conti Road which sells at twice the price) are not a bargain IMO as they trade off too much performance to obtain a cheap price.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-23-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode