Tail bag: looking for reviews - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Tail bag: looking for reviews

I am interested in a tail bag (NOT a top box please).

Would like to hear from you if you have one> likes, dislikes, waterproof, does it stay securely fastened and does it carry as much as you hoped for? etc

Photos would be nice too. Thanks.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:30 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
+1 on the Cortech Tail Bag..

006 by weljo2001, on Flickr

arril 004 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 02:06 PM

I have and use the same bag. It is easy to attach to the bike, difficult to swing your leg over, especially when dismounting. It came with a water resistant cover. Doing the "step through" technique will keep your boot from hitting the bag (put left foot on peg first, then step through).
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 02:09 PM

I use the same bag on my rear rack. It will last you a long, long time. I've had mine for 5 years and I bought it used, it's atleast 7 years old. I never take it off the bike, so it sees 15-24k a year. It even went sliding down the highway and while it now has a few holes in it and one of the expansion zippers is fried, I still use it. It comes with a waterproof cover that works well enough.

2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR-7 - hers
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 02:10 PM

Garage

Bags Connection 40L Dry Bag. About $100. Roll top design, completely waterproof, and very large. Has 4 tie down straps that clip to the bag, very secure for riding.

Waterproof:

Secure to the bike:

Always trust your cape.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 02:14 PM

I've been using a Slipstream tail bag that I picked up for Twisted Throttle back in December. Their new model is a bit different... but serves the same purpose.
It has a couple of external "pockets" that are handy for small things like my stash of foam earplugs in a ziplock... a pen and pad, etc..
It isn't waterPROOF... although it take a good bit of downpour before you have to really worry. It comes with a waterproof liner that I haven't used.
I don't use it on my trips... just my around town stuff. For my trips I have a large Overboard Roll Top Waterproof Duffel that I strap to my pillion... and leave the Slipstream at home.
I'm happy with my Slipstream. I use it for my day-to-day stuff. You can't do a weeks worth of grocery shopping but it certainly meets my daily needs and I've gotten more in there at times than I though I could... but most days it's just a place to store my hat when I'm on the bike and my gloves when I'm off it.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 08-27-2012 at 02:19 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 02:55 PM

What a timely topic! I just bought a Saddleman tunnel bag a couple weeks ago and I love it. There is a thread in here somewhere with pics from another member. Just search Saddleman tail bag and it should come up... I bought the Saddleman bag to replace my 5 year old Cortech bag like the guys above have. The Cortech bag was nice. I could expand it and I was always amazed at how many groceries I could actually stuff into it. However, it sun fades badly and goes from black to some shade of gray after one year. Then the main compartment zipper broke from both sides after 4 years. I suppose if you maintain it a little more than I did (like lube the zipper or put some armor all on it) it could last longer. However, I really like the look of my new saddleman bag. The price is about the same too. Volume wise the Cortech may fit a little more, but the Saddleman bag looks much cooler.

Edit: I got mine at Revzilla "http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/saddlemen-sport-tunnel-bag" it's the sport version not like the big mama on Weljo's bike.

Last edited by Stud Muffin; 08-28-2012 at 07:47 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Saddleman TS3200...

IMG_1169 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Saddleman TS3200...
I've got a TS3200 that I could offer up for sale. Used once.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the replies, I will take some time to read them, short on time now.

One thing I should have clarified: I have 2 dry bags to chose from for long hauls, I'm looking for a day trip/weekend/commute type bag. Thanks again! Keep 'em coming.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:58 PM

for a small bag, I have this one: http://www.aerostich.com/motofizz-ca...ags-small.html , which I got on sale there. Nicely made in Japan. I had a friend who speaks Japanese translate the instructions for the couple of parts that were not xlated into English. Secures easily to the lattice and passenger handles.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 01:43 PM

I have the GIVI silver series bag.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Roll-Bag.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode