Tool tubes, anyone? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tool tubes, anyone?

I'm thinking of getting a couple of tool tubes from Twisted Throttle. I'm thinking of mounting them to the inside of the side racks. Anybody have any experience with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Yeap!. come handy to store tools and yes it can be mounted inside the side rack. My tube is a document container form shipping containers and is water tight.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:27 AM

Here is the exact same tube for a lot cheaper, you just have to source your own mounting hardware. I have 2, have had 1 of them for a long time. I hacked off the mounting tabs on mine. There is a little drain hole on the tubes you'll need to plug with some tape but that's it. Totally waterproof.

http://www.agrisupply.com/operator-m...ister/p/67670/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR-7 - hers

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:36 AM

The yellow lettering/symbols on the sides and cap of the agri-supply tube comes right off with a little solvent like paint thinner and does no damage to the tube material or finish. They're nice tubes.

Bill -- 2012 Versys
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Yeap!. come handy to store tools and yes it can be mounted inside the side rack. My tube is a document container form shipping containers and is water tight.

I really like this idea. How is that tube mounted, Mr. Fastoman?

Anyone know if the "exact same thing" (i.e., the large 12.75 x 3.25 tube from AgriSupplies) will fit in the space inboard of the Givi racks for V35s bags? Smash? Looks like the relocated turn signal will be in the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 09:27 AM

Not sure Bones, don't have hard bags here and even if I did the mounts are different for the Versys and the 650R. Happy to get some measurements for you if you can tell me what you need.

2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR-7 - hers
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash View Post
Not sure Bones, don't have hard bags here and even if I did the mounts are different for the Versys and the 650R. Happy to get some measurements for you if you can tell me what you need.
It would be nice to know (a) overall length including the cap, (b) outside diameter at the widest part (looks that would be through the cap) and (c) outside diameter through the body of the tube. Gracias.

Might have to move the turn signals (or mount new ones elsewhere) to make it work, but it could be worth the effort.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 01:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I really like this idea. How is that tube mounted, Mr. Fastoman?

Anyone know if the "exact same thing" (i.e., the large 12.75 x 3.25 tube from AgriSupplies) will fit in the space inboard of the Givi racks for V35s bags? Smash? Looks like the relocated turn signal will be in the way.
I bought 2 of th agricultural ones a few years ago to mount up. I have Givi V35's and a top box. I never mounted them, as I cant figure out a way to fit them. The only possible area I could guess was where the relocated signals are, but then I need to do something with them. I will be watching this for a solution.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
It would be nice to know (a) overall length including the cap,

12"

(b) outside diameter at the widest part (looks that would be through the cap) and

3 7/8" IF you grind off the mounting points completely

(c) outside diameter through the body of the tube. Gracias.

3 1/2"

Might have to move the turn signals (or mount new ones elsewhere) to make it work, but it could be worth the effort.
Hope that helps! Measurements aren't exact, measured on bike.

2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR-7 - hers
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 02:34 PM

Thanks, yes the measurements help. I have a cardboard mailing tube nearly the same size as the lid and I will cut it to length to see what might work. Looks like the tube will fit in there, although the cap may be tough to get in and out of the space. And I'd have to relocate the turn signals. perhaps onto the side of my Givi top case mount...PITA!

Another option would be to mount the tubes somehow on the bottom of the V35s. There's all kinds of lean angle available so they would not be in the way. They may look odd down there and it would make it hard to sit the bags on the ground or floor. I would not want to have to drill holes into the V35s, however.

OK, looks like I will need to brain over this a while. Brew up some coffee, hang out in the garage with my dog, and think. If I come up with anything, I'll share it with the Versys brethren.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:21 PM

If you want to avoid moving the turn signals, why not attach them to the bottom of the racks that the V35 are on? Hose clamps (similar to what Smash used) should work, wouldn't they? Or would that just look too weird if the cases were off the bike?

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:30 PM

Well, I took that mailing tube outside and didn't even need a pot of coffee to realize it's just not going to work as I envisioned. There's a smaller size tube available but I doubt the storage would make it worthwhile. If the bike had no panniers and all I wanted was a couple tubes for carrying tools, papers, etc., then I could make something work. It's not as though I'm dying for more storage space...with 2 V35s, an E52, a tank bag and an Akona bag strapped to the back seat, I can carry more than I need anyway!

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Well, I took that mailing tube outside and didn't even need a pot of coffee to realize it's just not going to work as I envisioned. There's a smaller size tube available but I doubt the storage would make it worthwhile. If the bike had no panniers and all I wanted was a couple tubes for carrying tools, papers, etc., then I could make something work. It's not as though I'm dying for more storage space...with 2 V35s, an E52, a tank bag and an Akona bag strapped to the back seat, I can carry more than I need anyway!
WHOA. Ha, that's a lot of room!! Sorry the tube won't work though.

2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR-7 - hers
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 11:21 PM

Mount them outboard and paint to look like missiles. ;-)
C-17 Pilot likes this.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 09:25 AM

I mounted the Twisted T tubes one on each side inside my SW Motech racks with Givi E-21 bags. I find them handy for tools or whatever and on a road trip I have an MSR fuel bottle for each one that fits perfectly. They are only a little under a liter each but it gives me a little peace of mind.

2013 Versys1000
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-COASTER View Post
I mounted the Twisted T tubes one on each side inside my SW Motech racks with Givi E-21 bags. I find them handy for tools or whatever and on a road trip I have an MSR fuel bottle for each one that fits perfectly. They are only a little under a liter each but it gives me a little peace of mind.
That's pretty much what I had in mind. There are some pretty creative solutions listed above, but my intent was strictly to carry extra gas. Considering the cost of the the Tool Tubes, mounting brackets, and 30 oz. MSR bottles, it might make more sense for me to just buy a 1 gallon Tour Tube, from Tour Tanks, and just pack it away.

Things happen on bike trips. Headwinds, unplanned breakdowns, routing changes, etc., and you don't always get the chance to gas up in the next town, like you'd planned. I started carrying MSR fuel bottles years ago, and it does indeed give you a little extra peace of mind; not just for yourself, for your buddies as well. It's as big a pain for me to have to deal with another person running out of gas as it is for me.

The MSR's I have now are 40 oz., and won't fit in a tool tube, so now I need to either rig a whole set up, stick with what I have, or get something else. I'm still looking at it.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-COASTER View Post
Can you post some pix please?

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 02:28 PM

These look pretty slick if they fit in a tool tube!

http://tourtank.com/TourTubes.html

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Can you post some pix please?
Will do

2013 Versys1000
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
These look pretty slick if they fit in a tool tube!

http://tourtank.com/TourTubes.html

I would think they wouldn't fit... The MSR bottles that fit are just under a liter each.

2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR-7 - hers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode