Bike down, Swingarm spool sheared off Swingarm - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bike down, Swingarm spool sheared off Swingarm

So, Friday night I was finishing installed my Givi V46 top case on the KTMduals rack that I bought. Had put the bike up on the read stand so everything was level and fit together better. Had the wife get on the bike while it was on the stand to see how the case felt for her to lean on. Initially she was fine with it, but then we decided to put my HT Teton Panniers on as well to see how it would affect her foot placement.

Put the right side pannier on and secured it. The wife put her foot in place and seemed to be fine. She suggested that I sit on the bike as well to make sure her foot wouldn't interfere with me. I should probably have take the bike down at this point, but figured it would be ok. Now, my wife weighs about 140 and I'm about 240, plus the weight of the bike, panniers and top case, an extra 410 lbs of weight on the bike with those spools supporting it. Too much weight? Maybe.

Anyhow, I had just started to straddle the bike when it dropped to the right, the wife went flying and was partially trapped between the bike and the wall with her right foot caught under the bike, thankfully that pannier was on so it kept the full weight of the bike off her foot/ankle, this morning she has a couple of really nice black/blue marks but is otherwise unharmed. I was able to lift the bike enough for her to crawl out, she went and got the neighbor who came to help me upright the bike.

Obviously the tip sensor kicked in and the bike wouldn't start, I shut the key off, let it sit on the side stand for a couple of minutes then it fired right up and seems to be running fine. When the bike went over, it hit the garage wall so my right side mirror housing is scratched up, both handguards came a little loose, but what really shocked us was that the swingarm spool on the right side sheared totally off the bike and that was what caused it to fall.

I'll be taking it over to my dealer this morning to have them look at it and see if Mama Kawi needs to be called to look at it, or what they think about having fixed. I supposed it could be cleaned up and rewelded, I would think though that this should be able to hold the weight.

scratched mirror

Spool and mount

Default title upload by motoblur by egpowers, on Flickr

Underside of swingarm

I guess a little bit of the good, my ktmduals rack is back from the painters, had it painted as close to the bike color as he could get, these pics don't do it justice how great it looks. He primed it, then shot it with 4 coats of the paint and 2 coats of clear.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 10:59 AM

sorry to hear and see that.

I do not put additional weight on bikes when they are on stands.
I've had too many bad things happen.

MotoEd
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Thanks for the "heads-up". I will now stop from getting on for any reason while it's supported on the rear-stand!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 07:45 PM
MTS

Sorry to hear! Glad everyone is ok! I'll stay off the darn thing on any stands!

Thanks for the heads up!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 PM

Could've been just a sub-par weld.

2009 Versys. It blue.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo12 View Post
Could've been just a sub-par weld.
Maybe, but getting two up on a paddock stand is a NO NO

Anyway, trust all is well and you guys are are OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode