4Likes
  • 1 Post By tennistime99
  • 1 Post By rudderpedals
  • 1 Post By tennistime99
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Hard luggage liner experiment

I was thinking about buying liners for my hard luggage but didn't really want to cough up the $200+ . I'm going to try some Eddie Bauer packable backpacks and a packable duffle. The backpacks are 30L and should fit in the 28L saddlebags, the duffel is 40L for the 47L top case. They have some external pockets as well as stretch mesh pockets so I'm thinking they'll work well for quick grab items. Also seems like an added benefit that I can carry at least one backpack via shoulder straps.

The backpacks and duffel were $40 each. There was a 50% off promo code when ordering so grand total with tax was about $64.

I have one of the smaller packable backpacks which I found really handy on trips. It packs into its own pocket so I just throw it in my luggage and have a day pack at my destination.

I'll see how it works out.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 04:13 PM

Garage
For my Concours I discovered the saddle bag and topcase liners by Bestem. They are cheap and I'm happy with the quality. They are sold on Amazon, but the best prices I've found are through a seller called cruiserbackrest on Ebay. $62.41 shipped for a PAIR of saddlebags. The 46 and 52 liter topcase liner bags are each under $30 shipped.
EDIT: So far I only have the topcase liner (it's great), but I plan to buy the same brand saddlebag liners soon. BTW, I have no affiliation with the seller or Bestem.

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)

Last edited by Rob9876; 12-21-2017 at 04:16 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 04:20 PM

Garage
I have some OEM liners from my FJR i traded in. Should see how well they work with the side cases off my V-1000...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 04:49 PM

Garage
Sew your own with $10-20 worth of materials~
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistime99 View Post
I was thinking about buying liners for my hard luggage but didn't really want to cough up the $200+ . I'm going to try some Eddie Bauer packable backpacks and a packable duffle. The backpacks are 30L and should fit in the 28L saddlebags, the duffel is 40L for the 47L top case. They have some external pockets as well as stretch mesh pockets so I'm thinking they'll work well for quick grab items. Also seems like an added benefit that I can carry at least one backpack via shoulder straps.

The backpacks and duffel were $40 each. There was a 50% off promo code when ordering so grand total with tax was about $64.

I have one of the smaller packable backpacks which I found really handy on trips. It packs into its own pocket so I just throw it in my luggage and have a day pack at my destination.

I'll see how it works out.

$62 and work very well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PANNIER-LIN...53.m1438.l2649
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel13 View Post
Sew your own with $10-20 worth of materials~
I looked up some patterns and also thought about just winging an attempt but started thinking about pockets and zippers and scared myself off.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
I like the looks of those, I actually saw some on eBay, then I got the idea of wanting some multitaskers. Being able to throw some stuff in the saddlebags and then haul it as a day pack seems really convenient.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 08:08 AM

Garage
The wife and I use individual 'mesh' packable pouches. They are assorted sizes and help to keep everything organized. One panel is 'see thru' so you have an idea what is in them. However, they won't keep your stuff any dryer if you take on water!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

I must live next to the Eddie Bauer warehouse, I received the bags the day after ordering them. I messed around with them and so far think they'll work great. They fill the space available on both the side and top cases. Lots of grab handles on the duffle including a shoulder strap and the backpacks have stretch mesh pockets on the outside accessible while in the saddlebags.

weljo2001 likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 02:01 PM

Happened to find these not sure about the quality. But, looks like it would work for a nice price.

https://www.saddlemen.com/bag-organi...liners-luggage
quexpress likes this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 03:00 PM

I ordered mine (OEM ones) from the Honda dealer that sold me the bike used.........I paid $86 for the saddlebags liners and don't use one for the top case. They hold a lot of stuff and really fit the bags well.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 09:09 PM

Garage
tennistime99 it looks like those will work great.

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 10:03 AM

Garage
I generally buy the OEM liners and then sell them separately when I part with the motorcycle. So my cost isn't really that bad.

That is a hard thing to explain to some people. It isn't how much you pay for something. It is how much did it cost to own. With vehicles I look at how much it cost to own per mile. I've had vehicles cost me $0.06 a mile. I've had others cost me $050 a mile. Of course I get paid $0.5x a mile when I use my vehicles for work purposes.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I generally buy the OEM liners and then sell them separately when I part with the motorcycle. So my cost isn't really that bad.

That is a hard thing to explain to some people. It isn't how much you pay for something. It is how much did it cost to own. With vehicles I look at how much it cost to own per mile. I've had vehicles cost me $0.06 a mile. I've had others cost me $050 a mile. Of course I get paid $0.5x a mile when I use my vehicles for work purposes.
Unfortunately I understand.... My brother used to beat me half to death snow skiing to get the cost per run down. Not sure how much fun I was having. Lol

twowheeladdict likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistime99 View Post
Unfortunately I understand.... My brother used to beat me half to death snow skiing to get the cost per run down. Not sure how much fun I was having. Lol

When I skied I tried HARD to be first one UP the hill, LAST one down, 'cause during winters in Alberta THAT was the MOST fun you could have w/ your clothes ON...!

twowheeladdict likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 07:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
When I skied I tried HARD to be first one UP the hill, LAST one down, 'cause during winters in Alberta THAT was the MOST fun you could have w/ your clothes ON...!

We had a ski "hill" in our town and we would ski under the lights almost every day after school during the 2 month season. My ski suit became my winter morning riding suit when I moved to Florida after high school.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode