New rear tire at 2900 miles? - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 09:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch71 View Post
Those 90 degree valve stems are nice. I have them on my Indian, much easier to check and inflate tires.

Yep, I put them on any bike i get. The Girlfriends oldest boy is about to replace the tires on his GSXR-750 and i showed them to him so he's going to order a set to have installed.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 09:54 PM

Only 3k??? that sounds really weird to me... I put 7k+ on stock Dunlop before I thought I should replace them. There were couple of mm to the wear markers left, but I just wanted to throw them away to install Angel GTs. I must say, I'm not a small guy, I think I'm like 300lbs(135kg) all geared up. My riding is mostly weekend trips 150-300 miles backroads/twisties/highways + commuting 2-3 days a week. So central part of my tires gets a lot of work. I thought Michelin PR4 should've lasted longer than stock Dunlop. The only thing comes to my mind is over inflation.

Old tires removed:

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky.

2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS

Last edited by Metalmad; 03-08-2018 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Adding picture :)
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 03:10 PM

Smile Rear BT023 down to the wear bars

After having been run at a pressure of 38 ft-lbs for 14816 km (9206 miles), the rear BT023 on my 2015 Versys 650 is now down to the wear bars.

Since Bridgestone has discontinued the BT023 , I have ordered a Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart III.
onewizard likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.

post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
After having been run at a pressure of 38 ft-lbs for 14816 km (9206 miles), the rear BT023 on my 2015 Versys 650 is now down to the wear bars.

Since Bridgestone has discontinued the BT023 , I have ordered a Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart III.
My current 023 on the rear will probably last a total 5k miles. This is my fourth 023 and will be the longest one of these lasted. One I pulled at 3k for a trip, has maybe 1k left, the other two I pulled at 4k and 4.5k miles(almost smooth on the 4.5).

I'm thinkin' we may have different riding styles. Almost all of my miles have grade changes and twisties and this bike is so much fun to play with in those locations. North GA, NC, AR, and the Rocky Mountain states.

BTY, I run between 38 to 42lbs pressure depending on load.

I have a set of Roadsmart III's in the garage for the next go.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 10:39 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I'm thinkin' we may have different riding styles. Almost all of my miles have grade changes and twisties and this bike is so much fun to play with in those locations. North GA, NC, AR, and the Rocky Mountain states.

I'm sure that we do Steve. At this period of my life, I now prefer relaxed touring, etc. I now tend to choose rides with more sweepers than twisties, etc. This was not always the case LOL!

Quote:
BTY, I run between 38 to 42lbs pressure depending on load.
I used to ride with 40 lbs pressure in the front and 42 lbs pressure at the rear on my Valkyrie. I tried 40 lbs on the rear of my Versys but it felt like I was riding on wooden wheels. I then chose to use 38 at the rear and 34 at the front.

Quote:
I have a set of Roadsmart III's in the garage for the next go.
I'm anxious to see if you like them as much as the BT023s. I hope so because I really like the BT023.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 08:19 AM

I replaced PR4 rear with a Roadsmart III. The Michelins were (are) the best rain tire I've ever used but the rear got a bit squirrely after ~3,500 miles. I replaced it a little over 6,000 miles in use. I like the RS III so far. It seems more solid feeling than the PR4 when riding briskly. Still using the PR4 up front and the unmatched set work pretty well together.

The PR4 rear still had usable tread when replaced but the heavily grooved area off vertical was feathered-up on the leading edge (sorry no photos). Original Dunlops went for 4,300 before cord showed.
quexpress likes this.
post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 07:14 PM

I recently put on a set of Roadsmart 3's. I was looking for better life than I got from the D222's, which squared off in about 2,800 miles. So far I like the Roadsmarts very much. Wet grip seems much better. We'll see how they wear.

Had a question for anybody else out there on the Roadsmart 3, have you noticed them making more road noise? Mine sound like truck tires going down the road in comparison to the D222's. So much so that I'm wondering if I could have done something wrong during installation. I'm assuming it's simply due to the different tread pattern / deeper tread depth, but not sure. Whatever the reason, I've got about 1,000 miles on them and the noise persists.

Just wondered if anybody else has similar experience with these tires...
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 12:29 AM

I am always baffled by you guys who get high mileage from tires. I don't do wheelies or burnouts. I can't get anything reasonable out of tires. On my 13 650 V i have gotten the following out of the tires i have had on the bike:

OEM Dunlops - 2250 miles - metal chord showing
Pirelli Angel GT - 2715 miles - metal chord showing
Michelin PR3 - 4019 miles - down to wear bars/squared off bad
Shinko 705 - 1650 miles - tire has about 65% of tire life left. Used this tire through winter. Horrendous handling due to weight. Switched to better tire for summer riding. Will finish the rest this winter.
Bridgestone BT023 - 2750 miles - down to wear bars/squared off bad
Bridgestone BT023 - I have 1300 miles on the current tire. Close to half gone.
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyD View Post
I am always baffled by you guys who get high mileage from tires...i have gotten the following out of the tires i have had on the bike:

Shinko 705 - 1650 miles - tire has about 65% of tire life left. Used this tire through winter. Horrendous handling due to weight. Switched to better tire for summer riding. Will finish the rest this winter.
I have a pair of SHINKO E705s on my '08 - a 130/80 rear on the front (presently w/ just OVER 9,000 miles on it [the one I replaced had 28,799 MILES!]) while the 150/70 on the rear has OVER 11,000 miles on it, and it'll be changed in the next month or two.

Being in AZ, my tires don't see a lot of rain, but I find their 'handling' to be VG on ALL surfaces, altho' I do NOT try to "drag-a-knee". My BC bike (also on E705s) sees SOME rain, and I've never "tip-toed" in the rain w/ it. BTW - I run 36psi F, 42psi R on ALL surfaces!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 11:35 AM

I'm surprised by the high tire pressures being run by some forum members. I always understood higher pressures were not recommended for aggressive cornering. For example, when I have gone to track days (once with my 2016 Versys), each time they instructed us to run 31psi front/30psi rear. I assume the thinking is that with lower pressures, one gets more rubber on the road and therefore more grip, which makes sense to me. Same thinking when driving a car in snow.
Thoughts?
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
I'm surprised by the high tire pressures being run by some forum members. I always understood higher pressures were not recommended for aggressive cornering. For example, when I have gone to track days (once with my 2016 Versys), each time they instructed us to run 31psi front/30psi rear. I assume the thinking is that with lower pressures, one gets more rubber on the road and therefore more grip, which makes sense to me. Same thinking when driving a car in snow.
Thoughts?
Motorcycle Track Day Tire Pressures - What Should You Set Your Tire Pressures At For The Track? -TheRideAdvice.com
Fastoman and quexpress like this.
post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:57 AM

Thanks, Invader. That's a helpful article. I will continue to keep my tires at the recommended pressure for normal street riding, but never higher than those values.

2016 Versys 650, Carbon Gray/Black
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:05 AM

Garage
I use road 4 GT get around 8000 miles on them. GT is harder rubber, which means slower heat up time. Heat is love hate relationship. If you not riding that much only summer season and your ambien temperature normally above 60 F degrees. Would recommend road race tires, they take a little bit more to even heat up but when the tire is around 120F + start to be nice and sticky. Try road 4GT and run 42 PSI, really good for all season riding and always heat them tires up before riding hard. If you only do short trips run 34 PSI. If you feel daring and only ride on pavement switch to 170/60/17 road 4 GT on 42PSI I get around 10000 miles, this set up require more skill from the rider. Your front tire should last around 14000 miles = 2 Rear tire change before front needs to be changed. After that switch to Road 5 better grip in sunny season than road 4.

post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator

A tire's final mileage may depend on various factors:

Some of these are within the motorcyclistís control: tire pressure, load, vehicle speed, riding style (braking and accelerating).

Others are not and would mean changing the kind of riding you're doing:

Road use: road curviness, surface type
Off-road use: Kind of terrain (sand, gravel, mud, etc.), ambient temperature

A single factor on its own may have only a small impact on a tire's mileage; however, if many factors come together there will be much more wear and tear.

Most of a tire's grip on the road comes from the treads. As they wear down, they lose their ability to drain away water. It is therefore important to ride more slowly on wet surfaces.
https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/m.../wear-and-tear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode