New rear tire at 2900 miles? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 12:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2linby View Post
I put PR4 GT's on mine. Yes maybe over kill for mileage, but I had them for another bike and when my rear OEM crapped out at under 5k I just replaced both front and rear with the PR4's. With over 8K on the "new" tires they still look incredibly well and I am hoping to get at least 12K out of the rear.

I got close to 11,000 miles out of both sets of PR 4GT's i put on my FJR. So close to 22,000 miles with that heavy of a bike plus my fat butt and with a lot of 2-up riding.
Metalmad likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Just checked - the Shinko E705 rear has 7,000 miles on it, and I expect several 1,000 more before it's "toast"....
You and I apparently have different riding styles, my friend.
Although we clicked quite well together last summer.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
You and I apparently have different riding styles, my friend.
Although we clicked quite well together last summer.
Steve - maybe it's the pressures you're running...?

I run 36psi F, 42R, and HAVE since '08 on EVERY bike I've had; EVERY set of tires (which includes FULL knobbies); and this started when the mechanic where I bought my '08 recommended those pressures.
Urbanengineer and RocketyMan like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Steve - maybe it's the pressures you're running...?

I run 36psi F, 42R, and HAVE since '08 on EVERY bike I've had; EVERY set of tires (which includes FULL knobbies); and this started when the mechanic where I bought my '08 recommended those pressures.
Could be. I have bumped up to 36/40 on this fresh set of BT023's and like it for handling. Went out and narrowed the chicken strips significantly yesterday. Yeehaw!

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

the FRONT Metzler Tourance...

Quote:
I keep pretty good records (obsessive...?), so here's what mileage I got on ALL the rears on my '08:

OEM Dunlop - 10,008 miles;

Dunlop ROADSMART - 11,152 MILES;

ContiMotion - 10,628 miles;

Kenda BIG BLOCK (knobby) - 9,750 miles; and

Metzler Tourance - 12,337 miles and 14,123 miles. (TWO Metzler rears)

As that doesn't QUITE equal the mileage on the bike, it's because the last Shinko E705 is STILL on the bike!
Here's a 'little' EXTRA - I ran a 130/80 x 17 Tourance rear on the front while I had the 150/70 x 17 Tourance (and others, of course) on the rear. Changed it out at 28,799 MILES (and probably FIVE years!).

-

- - -

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 08:26 PM

I have 12K on my PR4 rear now :-) but I probably should replace it soon! Lots of highway riding.

2015 650 Versys
Iron Butt Association
Injuries: 20 broken bones & 14 metal pieces
Old woman riding since 1982

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A (wo)man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Mark Twain
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 08:35 AM

Have around 4k miles on Dunlop RS3 lots of tread left and no flat spot yet. I would like to go with Michelin PR5 next time, however if Dunlop run a $100 rebate on a pair of tires again next year I will likely buy the RS3 again as that puts a pair close to $150 less than a pair of Michelin PR5s.
Duffy likes this.
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Pr-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfla1 View Post
I have 12K on my PR4 rear now :-) but I probably should replace it soon! Lots of highway riding.
That is what I got on my 07 before I sold the bike, my average on the 2015 is less due to a nail in the last tire, but average on the Michelin tires has been around 12000 to 15000 KM on the rear and over 20000 KM on the front.
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 03:51 PM

Uh, no - that would be 12,000 MILES!

2015 650 Versys
Iron Butt Association
Injuries: 20 broken bones & 14 metal pieces
Old woman riding since 1982

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A (wo)man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Mark Twain
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 09:38 PM

I got 21k out of my BT023 Front, 8k out of the rear. Bike is lowered (2008 w/ speedy lowering). Very odd distance!
SteveJ likes this.
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
I got 21k out of my BT023 Front, 8k out of the rear. Bike is lowered (2008 w/ speedy lowering). Very odd distance!
I recently bought two sets of these on close out. I'm thinkin' I shoulda bought one front/three rear. Oh well...
Thanks for the info.

Urbanengineer likes this.

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 04:21 PM

Garage
Just placed my order with MotoMummy for the Road 5's for the V-1000 $348.92 shipped. The OEM Tires are still holding on pretty well though.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Joe - THAT is what you get for buying a "liter Versys" instead of sticking w/ the 'MEDIUM' one....

-
weljo2001 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 01:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Joe - THAT is what you get for buying a "liter Versys" instead of sticking w/ the 'MEDIUM' one....

-

Michelin Pilot Road 5 Sport Touring Tires
Size(s): : 180/55ZR17 (+$38.00)
$191.96
Michelin Pilot Road 5 Sport Touring Tires
Size(s): : 120/70ZR17 (+$3.00)
$156.96
Subtotal:
$348.92
Shipping:
$0.00
Total:
$348.92

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 12:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
The stock tire are wearing pretty well on the V-1000 but i'll be getting a set of the 5's when they come out....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y88EbYGJhEg

TaDa.......

5's by weljo2001, on Flickr
quexpress and Metalmad like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 03:11 PM

Garage
Looks like the Girlfriend might want us to take the bike to ride almost to San Francisco the first of next week to visit her mom and family there for the Chinese New Year which is this Thursday. So once we get back I'll have the Road 5's installed.....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
TaDa.......

5's by weljo2001, on Flickr
They look good plus I love the smell of new tires! lol
weljo2001 likes this.
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 02:07 PM

Garage
Just dropped the Road 5's off at the shop close by to have mounted. Will take the bike in at 2pm after they get back from lunch. To my surprise they had a set of Road 5's on their rack in the size we use...Also having them install the Chinese 90degree valve stems..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 09:10 PM

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 09:34 PM

Those 90 degree valve stems are nice. I have them on my Indian, much easier to check and inflate tires.
weljo2001 likes this.

60% of the time, it works every time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode