Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New rear tire at 2900 miles?

16K views 66 replies 32 participants last post by  weljo2001 
#1 ·
2015 650LT
Doesn't get ridden enough, but when I got it inspected this fall, I was told the rear tire would need to be replaced soon. Just had a Michelin Pilot Road 4 put on. I sure hope it lasts longer than the original.

#4 ·
What tire pressure were you running???

#9 ·
I replaced OEM rear tire on my 2015 Versys 650 at 5952 km (3928 miles).
Note: On my Versys, I like to run the rear tire pressure at 38 ft-lbs. On my previous bike, I kept it at 40 - 42 ft-lbs ... but that was a much heavier bike. :)

#11 ·
I got about 6200 miles out of the OEM rear tire (2015 650 LT) but it was down to the second layer of rubber (no cords showing yet). I was on a trip and it was making my riding partners a bit nervous. Replaced it with a Dunlop RS 3 and continued the trip. It now has about 3K on that tire and it shows no wear as yet. Reviews say it should be good for about 12-15K.

#13 ·
Thanks for the replies. The bike shop that told me my tire would needed to go next year is good to go- very trusted.
They didn't try to sell me a new one, just said it would be good to replace it soon. It did pass inspection and I probably could have gotten another 500-1000 miles on it. This is my first street bike since I was a kid and I'm not skimping on anything safety related. Was just surprised that the subject even came up soon. A lot of the miles where put on riding at speed on the interstate so I guess its normal.

#15 ·
I got 10k out of a PR4..but a lot of that riding was with a Harley group..lol...it was pretty flat in the center by the time I took it off..as the Harley group wasn't ripping around any corners either...
I got 8.5k out of the next one..and wasn't riding with the Harley group..lol...I do a lot of touring on the Versys so i get pretty good mileage out of them...can't wait to get the new 5...

#16 ·
The stock tire are wearing pretty well on the V-1000 but i'll be getting a set of the 5's when they come out....

#18 · (Edited)
I keep pretty good records (obsessive...?), so here's what mileage I got on ALL the rears on my '08:

OEM Dunlop - 10,008 miles;

Dunlop ROADSMART - 11,152 MILES;

ContiMotion - 10,628 miles;

Kenda BIG BLOCK (knobby) - 9,750 miles; and

Metzler Tourance - 12,337 miles and 14,123 miles. (TWO Metzler rears)

As that doesn't QUITE equal the mileage on the bike, it's because the last Shinko E705 is STILL on the bike! 0:)

#19 ·
I put PR4 GT's on mine. Yes maybe over kill for mileage, but I had them for another bike and when my rear OEM crapped out at under 5k I just replaced both front and rear with the PR4's. With over 8K on the "new" tires they still look incredibly well and I am hoping to get at least 12K out of the rear.

#21 ·
I got close to 11,000 miles out of both sets of PR 4GT's i put on my FJR. So close to 22,000 miles with that heavy of a bike plus my fat butt and with a lot of 2-up riding.

#26 ·
I have 12K on my PR4 rear now :) but I probably should replace it soon! Lots of highway riding.

#28 ·
Pr-3

That is what I got on my 07 before I sold the bike, my average on the 2015 is less due to a nail in the last tire, but average on the Michelin tires has been around 12000 to 15000 KM on the rear and over 20000 KM on the front.

#31 ·
I recently bought two sets of these on close out. I'm thinkin' I shoulda bought one front/three rear. Oh well...
Thanks for the info.

:cheers:

Reactions: Urbanengineer
#32 ·
Just placed my order with MotoMummy for the Road 5's for the V-1000 $348.92 shipped. The OEM Tires are still holding on pretty well though.

#34 ·
Michelin Pilot Road 5 Sport Touring Tires
Size(s): : 180/55ZR17 (+$38.00)
$191.96
Michelin Pilot Road 5 Sport Touring Tires
Size(s): : 120/70ZR17 (+$3.00)
$156.96
Subtotal:
$348.92
Shipping:
$0.00
Total:
$348.92

#36 ·
Looks like the Girlfriend might want us to take the bike to ride almost to San Francisco the first of next week to visit her mom and family there for the Chinese New Year which is this Thursday. So once we get back I'll have the Road 5's installed.....

#38 ·
Just dropped the Road 5's off at the shop close by to have mounted. Will take the bike in at 2pm after they get back from lunch. To my surprise they had a set of Road 5's on their rack in the size we use...Also having them install the Chinese 90degree valve stems..

#39 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.